Survivor of Romulus
There is a vote underway to name two of Pluto's moons, and one of the names on the list is Vulcan. It currently leads the tally by a fair margin, but thought I'd pop the link on here incase any of you guys wanted to vote too

https://sites.google.com/a/plutorocks.com/voting/

Enjoy!
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Captain
# 2
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm sorry I can't resist.

I'm gonna have to vote for either Beavis and Butthead or Ren and Stimpy. Or maybe Sherlock and Watson.

Isn't there already an actual planet Vulcan? If there's not I think Vulcan should be reserved for an actual planet.

Unless it's not a moon- it's a space station. Then we have to have a different contest.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Well it was Mr Shattner himself who suggested it, so blame him :p. He also suggested Romulus but that can't be the case and Romulus and Remus are names designated to the moons of asteroid 87 "Silvia". I think it's pretty cool personally .
http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Terrell-STO.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
Career Officer
# 4
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
I like P4 and P5.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Mickey and Donald were the working names there for a while.

Quote:
Isn't there already an actual planet Vulcan? If there's not I think Vulcan should be reserved for an actual planet.
No. There was a hypothetical planet named Vulcan inside Mercury's orbit responsible for an irregularity in Mercury's orbit, but corrected for general relativity the irregularity didn't actually exist.

It is, however, the name of a specific class of asteroid. There aren't any known vulcanoids in our solar system, but the classification still exists. That might influence the IAE's final decision if Vulcan wins the vote.
Republic Veteran
# 6
02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
That's no moon.
Captain
# 7
02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Mickey and Donald were the working names there for a while.

No. There was a hypothetical planet named Vulcan inside Mercury's orbit responsible for an irregularity in Mercury's orbit, but corrected for general relativity the irregularity didn't actually exist.

It is, however, the name of a specific class of asteroid. There aren't any known vulcanoids in our solar system, but the classification still exists. That might influence the IAE's final decision if Vulcan wins the vote.
I forgot about Mickey. That's a good suggestion.
Career Officer
# 8
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Tick and Flea.
Captain
# 10
02-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Save "Vulcan" for an actual planet ... preferable a habitable one orbiting 40 Eridani A.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q