Lt. Commander
# 21
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Looks like a permissions error when creating the game data dirs. Try running as Administrator.
This is exactly the same as the bug I reported in the show stopper thread here. This also has the side effect of making the game impossible to launch with Steam on Windows 7 regardless of where the game is installed.

It does look like it is a permission issue but not with the game directories since the game is installed on my computer in a public directory. It must be touching something else - maybe the temporary folder where it downloads patches to since it appears to crashes on that step.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I can confirm that this has not be fixed in the latest patch and is still an ongoing issue. It also stops the game from being launched from Steam at all on Windows 7. This really needs to be fixed before people start buying the full game on Steam otherwise you will end up with tons of support requests and confused people.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCadaver
I can confirm that this has not be fixed in the latest patch and is still an ongoing issue. It also stops the game from being launched from Steam at all on Windows 7. This really needs to be fixed before people start buying the full game on Steam otherwise you will end up with tons of support requests and confused people.
This is an issue with how Steam installs the game, not something we can fix (literally, only an admin level process can fix the issue).
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
This is an issue with how Steam installs the game, not something we can fix (literally, only an admin level process can fix the issue).
So how do we get it fixed? Do I have to raise a ticket with Steam?
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelCadaver
So how do we get it fixed? Do I have to raise a ticket with Steam?
I suppose so, since Cryptic apparently can't do anything. I've got a friend who's on the verge of cancelling his Deluxe Edition pre-order because he can't get the game to work at all. This is a big turn-off for a pretty big block of potential customers, and can cost in sales.
Lt. Commander
# 26 STO won't launch, no error
01-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Bought it through Steam. I have already told steam to delete all local files and redownloaded and installed. Same results.

Running XP 64 bit with latest patches.
Error ID: 9088222

Tell steam to launch STO, the launcher window comes up, I login successfully, the launcher checks for patches, and I get the engage button. Click engage, and the launcher window closes, and then nothing. No errors, no indication that my computer is doing anything, and no STO process running in the task manager, and I am running as an admin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to buy the lifetime subscription, but find it hard to justify if I can't play the game.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
For those that are affected by this problem, please post in this topic on the official Steam forums so that this critical flaw will be brought to Valve's attention as quickly as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much Warcorer, This is such a simple fix but the launcher chrash was driving me crazy.

I usualy have no problems with Windows Vista but this seems to be one of those user priviledge and false alarm problems that it is known for.

I think that all that needs to be done to fix this is for players to change their computer settings or just always run the game as an administrator.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
[quote=jI think that all that needs to be done to fix this is for players to change their computer settings or just always run the game as an administrator.[/QUOTE]

thats not true- i have tried to run my launcher for days and ususaly under admin privlleges. it never matters it always says

trying to update launcher
trying 1 please be patiant

then bam! oopps Cryptic Error.

here is my latest error ticket id: 4548575
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
think i got it figured out. i have an extra filtering layer good luck guys.
Closed Thread