Lt. Commander
# 1 Antivirus though found virus
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
For the info, I think it is not, Here is the info

After downloading the Beta open client and install I restarted my PC (Was upgrading my video drivers) An this pop up as I was loading back into windows.

SONAR detect a possible threat named CrypticErrer.exe, was able to remove so no action needed.

I look into details and it came from the STO install folder, I am going with a hunch that the Exe is actual the bug report thing. Was wondering how important this program is to the over all beta game. Here is more infor on my Antivirus.

Norton Internet Security 2010 with up to date definations, has firewall and a program called SONAR which predicts if a file might be a virus/trojin.

Though I let you know sense this is Beta and do not know if anyone else might run into this, thanks if you reply.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM
SONAR is notorious for false-positives. It works by seeing how many other times it has seen that file on other computers. For new things like a game that release quickly, it tends to get grumpy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
SONAR is notorious for false-positives. It works by seeing how many other times it has seen that file on other computers. For new things like a game that release quickly, it tends to get grumpy.
would we encounter any problems if it auto removes/ dumps it in quarantine ? whatever the crypticerror.exe is
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, i'm not sure... did you misspel this CrypticErrer.exe??? Or is That what it said. It's supposed to be CrypticError.exe.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Both Norton and now AVG have turned into bloatware eating memory and causing too many alarms.. IMHO..
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clstreak View Post
Both Norton and now AVG have turned into bloatware eating memory and causing too many alarms.. IMHO..
Malwarebytes should be a necessity IMHO for someone using a computer. NOD32 and AVG free edition are also really good pieces of software. Everyone has their own opinions though, but everyone should really have malwarebytes.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I hate Norton, it's an awful computer raping program
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 03:55 AM
I have been running Avast ans Spybot and to lesser extent win defender since i cant uninstall the dang thing.. and i have only gotten 1 repeat 1 piece of spyware in 2 years.. No single virus has made it close to my machine. of course they have to get threw hardware firewall first then rest..
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Malwarebytes should be a necessity IMHO for someone using a computer. NOD32 and AVG free edition are also really good pieces of software. Everyone has their own opinions though, but everyone should really have malwarebytes.
/agree... only 2 things you need (well 3)
1. Microsoft updates
2. Malwarebyte's
3. Hijack This.

Router firewall/windows firewalls help also.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
AVG was great but now you have to pay for it not to be bloat ware is all i was complaining about.. if you buy it theres is a big difference in the amount of resources it takes up.. is all im saying..