Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,230
# 11
02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
after the ToS series starfleet adopted the enterprise's chevron as the fleet symbol to honor the ship and it's crew

this is why in the movies onward every ship used the chevron


in the real world the studio got lazy and didn't want to make a different insignia for every ship and crew
Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 447
# 12
02-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
No.Thay all have UFP and back in ToS every ship had it own shield as the Delta was exculsivly The Enterprise

It says this on all my Models in Starfleet Command.

Cryptic put the wrong symbol the ships


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NoBfykPg70
Hate to jump on the bandwagon of disagreeing with virtually everything you say....BUT....

A) That video you link is nothing even resembling canon...the CGI is so-so for a fan project, but its NOT canon.

B) You just proved yourself wrong...the only emblem on that ship is the Starfleet chevron, not a UFP logo.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,449
# 13
02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
No.It is not as that is an actuall model of the model ship and they use the delta shield for the UFP on Starships.Starfleet has never used the UFP logo on Starships look at the belly of the Galaxy class.

http://trekazoid.files.wordpress.com...galaxy_vnt.jpg

This one is definely from one of the movies.

http://i.imgur.com/NSdGA.jpg

This is my sig and if you look very closely you will see it has the delta shield representing the UFP.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1697/mysigr.png

besides .I know that ship really well as it is my Favourite.

Here is a better one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPrYMczF3k
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers

Last edited by age03; 02-22-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
# 14
02-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
I can't think of a single instance where I saw the UFP logo on a ship. Name and registration were pretty much the extent of it.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I might recall seeing the UFP logo on a ship sitting in spacedock in one of the TMP movies, but that's hardly precedent.

All I want is the option to pick no emblem; I've never seen a decent looking fleet emblem, and the UFP logo looks like a pair of blue blobs, like some child thought that if they painted eyes on the thing it would look cooler.

Please, let me choose no emblem.
I Agree with this. Please allow us to kill the emblem on the ships.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
# 15
02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
You seem to have confused Starfleet for the Federation (which is understandable, as they've never established exactly where Starfleet ends and the Federation begins).
I always thought of the Federation as the government and Starfleet as the military of that government.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 16
02-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigonos1 View Post
I always thought of the Federation as the government and Starfleet as the military of that government.
It's foggy, to say the least.

The Federation is basically a U.N. in Space, with members including Earth, Andoria, Vulcan, etc. Logically, Starfleet would then be something more like N.A.T.O., being a combination of all the militaries of those member states ... except that Starfleet is an Earth-based, and clearly Human-centric organization. Federation member species can join, and even rise to command and admiralty, but it's completely based on Earth and heavily filled with Human officers and enlisted personnel, compared to those other races.

Picard even talks about "humanity" and "Starfleet" as though they were interchangeable sometimes, and when talking about Starfleet history, they speak mostly about Earth.

Again, they never really explain what Starfleet is to the Federation -- it could be the official, mutli-national military branch of the same government, or Earth's entry into the N.A.T.O.-like united military force of the Federation.

If it's the latter, then Andorian and Vulcan ships, as well as any other ships belonging to Federation member species, would also have UFP text on their hull, just as Starfleet ships do. If it's the former, then there should be Starfleet academies and headquarters on other planets, but we see no evidence of this.

Still, you never see the Starfleet Delta symbol on anything Federation, just exclusively on Starfleet ships and personnel. My own belief is that Starfleet is, essentially, the Earth government, and it just pulls the weight of the entire Federation while other species decide to basically kick back and mind meld or ushaan or whatever they feel like.

Last edited by thratch1; 02-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
# 17
05-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgtx View Post
after the ToS series starfleet adopted the enterprise's chevron as the fleet symbol to honor the ship and it's crew

this is why in the movies onward every ship used the chevron


in the real world the studio got lazy and didn't want to make a different insignia for every ship and crew

The design on the Ent is supposed to be on every ship. Its manditory identification markings for all Starfleet vessels. And Starfleet is not a military of any sort, they are purely exploratory, whether scientific or expansionary. How ever the Starfleet Marine Corps (canon through fanon) is the military for the Federation. All the crap previously mentioned in this thread is from a second rate group of ST writers that have no business being writers, let alone having a game developed on what they say. STO is a time consumer, nothing more. Any of its so called 'canon' facts are just as bad as, if not worse than, the TV show Ent. Anything contradictory is spitting on Gene Riddenberry's grave.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 994
# 18
05-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigonos1 View Post
I always thought of the Federation as the government and Starfleet as the military of that government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
It's foggy, to say the least.

The Federation is basically a U.N. in Space, with members including Earth, Andoria, Vulcan, etc. Logically, Starfleet would then be something more like N.A.T.O., being a combination of all the militaries of those member states ... except that Starfleet is an Earth-based, and clearly Human-centric organization. Federation member species can join, and even rise to command and admiralty, but it's completely based on Earth and heavily filled with Human officers and enlisted personnel, compared to those other races.

Picard even talks about "humanity" and "Starfleet" as though they were interchangeable sometimes, and when talking about Starfleet history, they speak mostly about Earth.

Again, they never really explain what Starfleet is to the Federation -- it could be the official, mutli-national military branch of the same government, or Earth's entry into the N.A.T.O.-like united military force of the Federation.

If it's the latter, then Andorian and Vulcan ships, as well as any other ships belonging to Federation member species, would also have UFP text on their hull, just as Starfleet ships do. If it's the former, then there should be Starfleet academies and headquarters on other planets, but we see no evidence of this.

Still, you never see the Starfleet Delta symbol on anything Federation, just exclusively on Starfleet ships and personnel. My own belief is that Starfleet is, essentially, the Earth government, and it just pulls the weight of the entire Federation while other species decide to basically kick back and mind meld or ushaan or whatever they feel like.


Some shows or episodes, sometimes, contradict things they determine in others. The idea I have is that first there's this thing which is the Federation. It is basically an Union of several worlds. Every person of those worlds is a Federation citizen and the Federation will in fact resemble what we perceive today as a Government. The Federation's "easy".
Starfleet, however, is way harder to grasp. They are militaristic and several times seem to report only to their own, although it's stated time and again that they are under the Federation and follow the Councils' directives. They very much resemble a military organization but they have a much broader am ample spectrum than just military. Science, engineering, exploration, and so on. It does seem that those roles exist outside of Starfleet as well, as it also seems that there are other organizations that also have some militaristic and/or intelligence role.
The NATO comparrison is correct, in my view, if we remove a bit of the military idea and add a bit of civilian to it.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 105
# 19
05-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus447 View Post
And Starfleet is not a military of any sort, they are purely exploratory, whether scientific or expansionary. How ever the Starfleet Marine Corps (canon through fanon) is the military for the Federation. All the crap previously mentioned in this thread is from a second rate group of ST writers that have no business being writers, let alone having a game developed on what they say. STO is a time consumer, nothing more. Any of its so called 'canon' facts are just as bad as, if not worse than, the TV show Ent. Anything contradictory is spitting on Gene Riddenberry's grave.
The only military in the Federation is Starfleet, there's a reason they are the ones to fight wars and protect the Federation. The same reason for their military tech, military ranks, military academy and tendancy to perform military jobs.

The fact that they multi-task and handle exporation in peacetime doesn't change that.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 PM.