Lt. Commander
# 1 Anti-aliasing
01-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm trying to configure video settings ahead of time, but when I go to change the advanced video settings, I cannot turn on anti-aliasing. I have an ATI Radeon 4550, which should support it.

I've updated to the most recent driver version for the card as well. Is it reasonable to guess that the card just isn't supported 100% yet and will likely be later on, or am I SOL?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
It seems to be a problem with ATI cards currently. I believe you can force AA in the Catalyst control panel, but I don't think you'll notice having it off much, when you're having fun playing =).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I turned it on in Catalyst, hopefully I'll see the results in-game. Otherwise, I agree with the enjoyment =D Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I'll just make sure I report the issue when provided the opportunity to do so.

Thanks! Glad to know it's not just me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Guys, I really don't recommend you bypass it with Catalyst.

STO Supports AA with ATI Cards, BUT it's temporarily disabled for a reason.

I'm still hoping it will all be sorted out in tomorrow's patch though, so I won't have to worry about it. :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Curious. What's your reasoning? I can think of maybe a performance hit because it's not "native" to the game...I'm interested in your perspective.

However, people who install the game down the road may have varying settings for their cards, so from a beta perspective, isn't it worth it just to try it for the sake of letting devs know what works/doesn't?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
It is a good idea to provide data on what works and what doesn't. With that being said, I'll say it again: they disabled it for a reason. A good reason at that. Bypassing it with Catalyst will override that temporary fix while they sort the problem out. I would advise that you leave it on app controlled - at least for STO, and unless the problem is fixed for tomorrow.

This is good for you because you don't experience the issue, and it's good for Cryptic because they won't have to process countless more reports of the same well known issue. They've already spent a hefty amount of resources into squashing it.

But again, it could very well be fixed in the next patch before the servers go live tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Well I hope this gets sorted by official release But with two weeks of Beta time, I am sure they will get it sorted out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
But again, it could very well be fixed in the next patch before the servers go live tomorrow.
It wasn't.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Yes, it's a straight-out known issue. ATI AA still needs compatibility work with STO. You can force it but it is not reccomended at all and is virtually guaranteed to lead to crashes. Leave AA alone until it's re-enabled in the client.