Captain
# 1 Andorian Ship issues
02-21-2013, 11:08 AM
There's a couple annoying things with the new andorian ships, so I figured I'd make just one thread rather than three or four.

1 The Andorian ships only have one 'dual beam' hardpoint on the top of the ship. Any targets below the ship or off to the side will result in the beams firing *through* the bulk of the ship to reach the target.

While firing alongside the hull fore to hit a target does look really iconic, firing through your bridge and killing your entire crew just to paint a target below you seems like a really poor design choice.

2. The wing cannon hard points only work for the wing cannons.

While I understand that this is likely due to the need to display/showcase their abilities and just all around coolness, if you don't run phasers and are using a different energy type, then you have these useless little T-rex arms that stick out of the back of your ship and don't do anything- all your weapons fire from the fore of the front hull, except your dual beams which fire through the front hull.

At least allow the wing cannon hardpoints to be used when the wing cannons aren't actually ON the ship.

3. The three 'different' ship skins are almost identical. One's a shade lighter, one's a shade darker and... yeah. I'm not seeing any noticeable difference here.

4. The Andorian Bridge seems somewhat off. I understand that it's a replica of the ENT era one, but the 25th century STO ship is much more massive than that vessel, and should at least have an extension in bridge size. Even if it's just a situation room style area in the back or something, it could use more work. I'd really like for the turbolift doors to open (even if the lift itself doesn't go anywhere), and to have a ready room off to the other side where I can put trophies won in battle and meditate.

Although otherwise, the bridge is very nice, show accurate, and I like the warp core's thrum. It's very unique and sounds powerful- much more that of a muscle car, than a hotrod.

EDIT: So apparently there *is* a ready room, but you can't put up trophies or otherwise decorate it.
Captain
# 2
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcadia View Post
While firing alongside the hull fore to hit a target does look really iconic, firing through your bridge and killing your entire crew just to paint a target below you seems like a really poor design choice.
Won't lie, I snorted my milk laughing when reading this. lol

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 3
02-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:

While I understand that this is likely due to the need to display/showcase their abilities and just all around coolness, if you don't run phasers and are using a different energy type, then you have these useless little T-rex arms that stick out of the back of your ship and don't do anything- all your weapons fire from the fore of the front hull, except your dual beams which fire through the front hull.
So if I'm reading this right, DCs/DHCs dont fire from the wing cannons?

Also, could you clarify the "if you don't run phasers" comment. Do phasers fire from a point that non-phaser weapons won't?
Captain
# 4
02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
odd, the beams fire from the generators for me, though now I sorta see why, even though they still cut through my ship.
Republic Veteran
# 5
02-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Quote:
There's a couple annoying things with the new andorian ships, so I figured I'd make just one thread rather than three or four.

1 The Andorian ships only have one 'dual beam' hardpoint on the top of the ship. Any targets below the ship or off to the side will result in the beams firing *through* the bulk of the ship to reach the target.

At least allow the wing cannon hardpoints to be used when the wing cannons aren't actually ON the ship.

3. The three 'different' ship skins are almost identical. One's a shade lighter, one's a shade darker and... yeah. I'm not seeing any noticeable difference here.

4. The Andorian Bridge seems somewhat off. I understand that it's a replica of the ENT era one, but the 25th century STO ship is much more massive than that vessel, and should at least have an extension in bridge size. Even if it's just a situation room style area in the back or something, it could use more work. I'd really like for the turbolift doors to open (even if the lift itself doesn't go anywhere), and to have a ready room off to the other side where I can put trophies won in battle and meditate.

Although otherwise, the bridge is very nice, show accurate, and I like the warp core's thrum. It's very unique and sounds powerful- much more that of a muscle car, than a hotrod.

EDIT: So apparently there *is* a ready room, but you can't put up trophies or otherwise decorate it.
1) The Andorian ships aren't the only ships that suffer from this unfortunately so I don't know how fast if ever would see a fix.

2) Honestly why should they? They are meant for a special weapon...like saying you should be able to fire from the dreadnoughts phaser lance or the peghqu' disruptor lotus nodes.

4) All special race bridges suffer from this, as nice as it would be for them add to those bridges...doesn't look likes gonna happen any time soon...especially with them working on the update in may.
Empire Veteran
# 6
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Other DHCs DO fire from the wing hardpoints; I stripped off the wing cannons immediately and put the Andorian DHCs on there.

It may be the wings get the first weapon slot, or maybe they only work with Andorian weapons.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Captain
# 7
02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Running all antiproton fleet dual heavy cannons, and none of them fire from the wing cannon hardpoints. I've tried moving weapons around, but it's no go.

And it's not the same as the spinal lance, because the spinal lance isn't an extra weapon slot you can stick *other* stuff into.

Another issue that I've noticed recently is that the 'inner cannons' segment of the ship doesn't receive the skin changes from having end game shields equipped. I've tried every endgame shield that has a costume attached under the sun (Reman, Romulan, Jem'hadar, MACO, Omega- none of them affect the inner cannons costume piece. I assume this is because that piece is separate on the model so it can animate, but it's still kinda annoying on the more radical costume changes like the reman.
Rihannsu
# 8
02-28-2013, 05:57 AM
Stuff like that is why I believe they should just set dual beams to fire from the dual cannon mounts, not the DHC ones. DC points tend to be closer together and mounted near the front of the hull, rather than at the far ends of the saucer/rear near or on the wings, depending on faction. There'd be far less clipping issues. Plus DBs would probably look awesome with the Kumari fore hull's vertical DC mountings...

Additionally I doubt there's any coding to force DHCs to fire from the WC points when no WCs are equipped... though it'd be nice if there was. Never did like those generator mounts.