Commander
# 91 This is an awesome idea!
07-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I love the idea of a civilian/privateer/mercenary faction, so long as we can defect from whatever faction we're in now to this would make it a done deal for me. Obviously if you do defect you shouldn't be able to use it as a way of getting any gear you want like a kind of loophole. After all, you have just resigned/defected/gone renegade, it isn't like they'd let you keep everything you have as much as that's possible :3

This is a really good idea, I hope something like this does happen eventually. It would be awesome
As someone who has 2 manned KAGE, 3 manned IGE and CGE, been here longer than my join date suggests and put in the effort to learn the game for myself, I would like to put it to you that I know what I'm doing.
Rihannsu
# 92
07-13-2013, 07:47 AM
I have to say that being able to play as an actual Boslic does interest me.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 93
07-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Ok, I'm amazed.. this thread is still getting posts.

Civvie faction.. still a viable context.

One idea that got tossed in I definatly liked as qa possible faction starting point... players that "retire" from the KDF or starfleet to take up a civlian career.

That would elimiate the need for a faction "tutorial" more like mini story/cutscene sequence where you muster out.. honorably, or courts marshaled. (choose good/nutral/evil track track you select determine civilian career tracks availible.
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Career Officer
# 94
07-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
How about Romulans as the 3rd faction....

I like the civilian idea though.
This thread was launched in February *facepalm*
Empire Veteran
# 95
07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
It was, curious how folks views have changed on the subject now we have the first new faction, and an Idea on how cryptic would go about adding it.
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Commander
# 96 After thoughts...
07-14-2013, 03:54 AM
Just something that dawned on me, as there's been quite a bit of discussion on how the civilian faction would get the good gear as they're not military, I believe I may have come up with some viable methods.

Black Market, piracy (I believe someone might have mentioned this one), infiltrating the bases of the main factions like raiding parties to loot them or even doing something really dangerous like taking on Borg vessels to ransack Borg technology (that last one being almost a small STF and potentially requiring teaming up with other players to succeed).

It opens up a whole swath of new options for the game. Raiding starbase's of other factions could happen in the social zones just to liven things up a bit. Exploring random systems could potentially be anything from nothing being there to a flotilla of trade ships to board, loot and take captives from.

Also, it could unique in that, instead of having career paths, you simply become a civilian. Potentially, you could carry over some skills from your previous occupation but gain new stuff in place of things that wouldn't be valid anymore. In ground skills for example, threat generation might be replaced with something like 'Negative threat' seeing as a civilian wouldn't be considered as dangerous as military personnel.

This could even be merged with a liberated Borg faction like some have asked for, as who says every liberated Borg joins the military? It could also explain why the civilian faction is willing to take on Borg ships for technology if they have liberated Borg to lead the process?

Finally, on how civilians would work with fleets, what if they had some kind of unique benefit, such as being able to produce provisions in small quantities? Just throwing it out there.
As someone who has 2 manned KAGE, 3 manned IGE and CGE, been here longer than my join date suggests and put in the effort to learn the game for myself, I would like to put it to you that I know what I'm doing.
Lt. Commander
# 97
07-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I think I already posted in here, months and months ago, but I still like this idea as the closest we'll ever get to a Maquis faction. Anything that lets us fly kitbashed raiders and crappy fighters and jury-rigged freighters would appeal greatly to my need for a modern Privateer, Escape Velocity, or Freelancer, and there's already plenty of justification for this in Trek canon.

Here's an idea: let players of the "civilian" faction take missions for/against all three of the other "official" factions. Raid this, scout that, smuggle these, etc. Play all sides against the middle.

This would also be a great opportunity to make Gold-Pressed Latinum a thing that matters. Right now I'm just using it to acquire crazy amounts of disco balls.
---
Relax.