Career Officer
# 21
02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
It is surprising to see a faction request for "civilian" instead of something more specific like "Ferengi Trader".

Seems like if STO was going to add a non-military faction, it would need to have at least some sort themed faction or alternate gameplay to the ever present space combat of the other factions.
Based purely on your train of thought, I could see a neutral, Ferengi-based faction. Say, operated out of Drozana. Assuming this were a faction and not a reputation-based approach, I suppose Drozana might act as a Starbase for those player's to improve upon over time. But not to its Starfleet standard as it's not a Starfleet facility anymore.

Missions? I suppose both a PvE and PvP opportunity could present itself. Story missions of our Merchant Captain could be woven into the current landscape. A story mission requiring the player to compete against Phineas Mudd for that supply shipment between Federation worlds. Another evading enemy forces to complete a shipment. Another that could result in being boarded. A ground PvP scenario might involving having been boarded at all.

One has suggested developing this as an actual faction might water-down the player base for other factions. Which is why I suggested that it be integrated into all existing as well as future factions. Independent doesn't necessarily mean renegade. But that could be one player's choice, I suppose.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Lieutenant
# 22
02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
It is surprising to see a faction request for "civilian" instead of something more specific like "Ferengi Trader".

Seems like if STO was going to add a non-military faction, it would need to have at least some sort themed faction or alternate gameplay to the ever present space combat of the other factions.
I would just like to put my ferengi trader in a set of overalls similar to the ones in the 3rd year event mission. Heck I might even pay zen for one.
------------------------------------
Path to 2409: Martok made the definitive statement of the Klingon Empire's view of the Romulan Star Empire in 2388. "
The Klingons will offer no treaty, no aid, and no hand that is not holding a blade"
Empire Veteran
# 23
02-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:

Thank you for commenting on this Mister Stahl!!

If you would consider a suggestion.. I did refine this a bit in this thread. I would suggest it as a additional "career" track.. a 4th choice from the normal TACtial, SCIence, and ENGineer. A CIV fro CIVilan track. The ships and game play would be different. One poster on the thread likened it to a sort of "Privateer" game in the trek universe, and honestly, thats not a bad comparison. SHips would pack half the firepower of the "military" ships at best..(CIV players would have full access to lock box ships though.. it's only right after all! and would give civ players a chance to go toe to toe with the big boys..

Player skills would be things like "Negociation" ..improved chances of "hold" attacks/actions working in ground or space combat... player abilities in the CIV track would be more non combat.. but, by all menas allow CIV players to use any of the availble kits, but at a level one below thier nominal rank. Abilities that would allow them to earn more "income" from various transactions in game (not a large amount, but large nuff to be significant.. say absolutle maximum of say a 10% over a "normal" class..though 7.5% would likely be a bit wiser.

You might see a CIV class in an STF..but only if they've managed to get ahold of one of the better lock box ships.

Also.. make it a given that if a CIV player is going to purchase "military" grade weapons for a ship they have to pay twice as much for them ((you know, special use fees from the United Federation of Planets, or appropriate "bribes" to KDF officials to permit the mounting of them. CIV players would also have to pay "Taxes" to maintain thier status..

There are many possibilities in the concept of a CIV class. It would also allow players to be a "Ferengi Merchant" or any other type of civilian. I might suggest also that CIV class players be not restricted to a factions "Normal" race selection...but have access to any races present in the game.. but CIV characters would have a slightly different selection of attributes to choose from appropriate to non military characters, and of course having a purely civilian "mercentile" set of skills availible to put points into. The purely military skills would be there also, but be limited to level 3 in those particular types of skill.

...note that engineering and science skills would not be limited...no logical sense for them to be, though some engineering and science skills would be different then those spacific to the standard TAC, SCI, and ENG skills.

Civilian characters, for when you want to do your conquests in the board room and the exchange floor.

Civilians would also be able to form..lets not call them fleets, lets call them corporations, or even better "Chartered Companies" much like the east india company of earth history...

I could trot out idea's and concepts all day long for a trek universe civilian class. Not all Scientists and engineers wear a Starfleet uniform. They do how ever contract thier services! (government contracts.. a lovely thing if you can get one!)

I could see player Civ caracter performing "fleet" missions of running a planetary blockade.
The more "supply's your able to deliver the better the payoff...assuming you can manage to not get your ship killed doing it. CIV players have a most unusuall option in thier PvE missions.. it's called "Failure". ((yes yes, a novel concept i know!))

the possibilities are there..not any time soon though, it would likely take most of a year JUST to put together the specific sort of game sub systems to make a CIV class work, including the specific skill trees.

An additional thought would be to hav a CIV sub class of each of the primary classes of TAC (Mercenary/Security) SCI (more difficult..civilian scientists would tend to be more specialized.. though a anthro specalist could be a great deal of fun to play...I recall a certain Next Gen character female character that ran off with Q for a few years).
and ENG toons could be fun.. shiprights, reserch engineers and the like..

.... It's a concept.. be an interesting way of getting the first Romulan player characters in game..

I think it would be fun. Trek is just a frame work and history. There's an entire universe to explore.. why should the shoe polishing military types have all the fun?

Khemaraa sends.

P.S. I would give me an opportunity to play a REAL orion pirate which is definatly something I could get into. Humm.. Pirate faction..now there! a Faction everyone can hate!
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Starfleet Veteran
# 24
02-21-2013, 02:27 PM
... Ferengi Traders (& Schemers)
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:

Not every trader in Star Trek is a "Ferengi Trader". See -> http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._Mudd_2266.jpg

and by the way, i vote yes to any non-military gameplay that you can add to the game.

Beers,

Jengoz=||=

=-=-=-=-=-=
Play Farts, Cause They're Funny
Career Officer
# 26
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Not the first time that was brought up.

I myself posted that would be great if there was a Trader / Merchant faction where the opposition would be Privateers.

This would allow Cryptic to add in more civilian ships and give them a non-combat option of playing STO, where they could travel throughout the Galaxy in earning EC or Latinum. (With the account bank, this could help some players make money to buy stuff.) Like having trade routes.

And open up new opportunities like new gear, new items, that only the traders could provide. Maybe things like decorations for your ship or fleet base? New locations, like giving us to visit Ferenginar or Andoria or the captial city of Vulcan, or going to Risa on business. Or the back streets of Cardassia Prime.

This could even involve PvP with the Privateers, where they could raid other players ships. Of course the PvP is different from Starfleet / KDF PvP where there are no kits and such, so it's classic Trek-style combat.

So many possibilities, to me would make a great fourth faction.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:

A pirate is me!
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Career Officer
# 28
02-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:

Yeah definitely thinking more as independent rather than civilian... Han Solo, or a bounty hunter, not necessarily with any faction...
Empire Veteran
# 29
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
humm, perhapes we could have both.. a Civilian faction, and faction civilian class of characters..
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
02-21-2013, 03:09 PM
A civilian faction would be fun and rewarding IF:

1. Cargo Capacity depended on the size and class of your ship. Obviously civilian vessels would devote more room to cargo and amenities, and less to defense systems and science labs.

2. The game had a more complex economy, with many more commodities and many more worlds buying and selling them at different prices. This would create trade routes where players could buy and sell from planet to planet, turning a profit.

Also, smuggling and pirate activity. Let's say Romulan Ale is prohibited on Earth. If you enter Sol System with Romulan Ale in your cargo hold, a Federation Vessel might tell you to hand it over, or he will open fire. The same could work for pirates - normally docile NPC's could orbit planets and if they detect something valuable in your cargo hold, they could turn hostile and attack.

3. The game had colonization and planetary management that would allow players to carry colonists to other worlds, and then the player could oversee construction projects, mining projects, terraforming projects, factories, etc.

It would be a lot of work for one little faction. Maybe in STO 2...