Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 1 We Need A Currency Exchange
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
We need a currency exchange. The dilithium exchange is great and serves a useful and essential game service. But with the proliferation of currencies I am asking what the community thinks about establishing an all currency exchange, which would make gold pressed latinum, Lobi crystals, Omega Marks, Romulan Marks, energy credits, dilithium and zen tradeable.

Please support this idea.
Just say no to ARC
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 518
# 2
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
which would make gold pressed latinum, Lobi crystals, Omega Marks, Romulan Marks, energy credits, dilithium and zen tradeable.
Won't happen.

Lobi Crystals are bound to character so you can't trade them.

Omega and Romulan Marks are intended to be awarded for playing though that content. I doubt you'll ever see a way to convert rep marks from one faction to another, being able to trade them to other players is even less likely to happen.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 787
# 3
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Not going to happen for several reasons.

The whole point of the reputation marks as a "currency" is to show that you have a reputation with that specific faction. That is how rep works. When you defeat the Borg in an STF, it's not like "Oh, you defeated me. Here, buy something nice."

In the IP sense, you are earning a positive reputation with the Omega Task Force. When you defeat the Borg, Captain Four of Ten is taking notes and saying "OK, this Captain knows what they are doing, lets give them the good stuff out of R&D..."

That being said, you can't trade out reputation between captains and you cannot trade Marks.

Personally, I would liek to see more uses for the GPL, make it more of a luxury and vanity items store, such as scarves, different uniforms, etc. Maybe non-combat pets? They sort of thing Ferengi would actually trade in.

The Lobi store and the Lobi Crystals are solely meant as consolation prizes for the Lockboxes. While I don't like the function of the Lobi store in general... (Alot of those items, I believe, should be in the GPL store.) I can see the reasoning behind it.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 4
03-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
Won't happen.

Lobi Crystals are bound to character so you can't trade them.

Omega and Romulan Marks are intended to be awarded for playing though that content. I doubt you'll ever see a way to convert rep marks from one faction to another, being able to trade them to other players is even less likely to happen.
With a change to a couple lines of code the bound Lobi argument becomes a non issue. Many on the forums as well as the rest of the community want Lobi to be account bound instead of character bound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
Not going to happen for several reasons.

The whole point of the reputation marks as a "currency" is to show that you have a reputation with that specific faction. That is how rep works. When you defeat the Borg in an STF, it's not like "Oh, you defeated me. Here, buy something nice."

In the IP sense, you are earning a positive reputation with the Omega Task Force. When you defeat the Borg, Captain Four of Ten is taking notes and saying "OK, this Captain knows what they are doing, lets give them the good stuff out of R&D..."

That being said, you can't trade out reputation between captains and you cannot trade Marks.

Personally, I would liek to see more uses for the GPL, make it more of a luxury and vanity items store, such as scarves, different uniforms, etc. Maybe non-combat pets? They sort of thing Ferengi would actually trade in.

The Lobi store and the Lobi Crystals are solely meant as consolation prizes for the Lockboxes. While I don't like the function of the Lobi store in general... (Alot of those items, I believe, should be in the GPL store.) I can see the reasoning behind it.
As we see in a certain other thread, your point about what OM and RM is simply doesn't matter. The OP for the other thread wants to sell his Fleet Marks for 5000 EC per mark. The community is already doing this via a trust system where player with a surplus of Fleet Marks apparently are joining a fleet, spending their surplus on projects, then are reimbursed by non bound currencies like EC.

I am looking for a solution to a problem that could be used to prevent a possible abuse before it happens. The best solution is make all currency tradeable via a controlled exchange that benefits the community.

Saying something will never happen is negative and not anyone's place to say. This is the place to air discussion. So lets talk about why it should happen and why getting behind this idea is a good idea.
Just say no to ARC
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 705
# 5
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
I like the idea of some of what was said related to lobi, dilithium, ec, and latinum as these are true currencies.

Fleet Marks (social/team play), Romulan Marks (Romulan missions) and Omega Marks (Borg Missions) aren't really currencies, but rather experience points in their respected factions. The game made them so you could apply your experience as you see fit within that particular faction. It would not make sense to be able earn Borg gear and experience by playing Romulan missions or vice versa. If you don't like playing one or the other then you will miss out on that gear, just like those who aren't in a fleet don't get fleet gear. It also doesn't make sense to be able to buy that experience either as it defeats the purpose of it being experience/reputation. I would love to take my tactical and play for all that gear across my 15 toons because its easier. You either play the missions for that faction or you don't earn the reputation/experience to obtain that gear.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 6
03-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Where I like the idea of being able to purchase OM or RM is I already completed T5 for both on two characters and am T4 on some of the others, a few at T3. If I have a surplus of dilithium, for instance, and my fleet is nearing T5 star base and is T3 for embassy, I will soon have plenty of dil to buy OM or RM if that's what I could spend it on. It's all about what the player base wants to keep the game fun. Grinding isn't fun. Being able to leverage what we have effectively to get what we want so we can get back to playing for fun is what it is about. A currency exchange will get that done and place controls to keep the F2P zen to game currency value running, while making Cryptic profitable.

In the end, every mark, point, or farmable substance is a currency. The idea of something being an indicator of reputation or experience is just a somantic in the computer world of numbers. Besides, do we not already spend skill point that are normally used as experience for out Boffs skills as currency to complete rep projects? Answer: yes. And yet, that was not their original intent. In fact, it could be argued that spending those huge pools of skill points we all had millions of is doing just this: creating a currency to generate a means to increase demand of those points to make them valuable.
Just say no to ARC
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 518
# 7
03-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
Many on the forums as well as the rest of the community want Lobi to be account bound instead of character bound.
Even if were account bound, you still wouldn't be able to trade them with other people.

Quote:
As we see in a certain other thread, your point about what OM and RM is simply doesn't matter.
Saying it doesn't matter doesn't really prove your point any.

Quote:
Saying something will never happen is negative and not anyone's place to say.
Yes as a mater of fact it is my place to say something should not happen, and based how things have gone so far won't happen.

Quote:
So lets talk about why it should happen and why getting behind this idea is a good idea.
I have news for you. You don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be part of this discussion. You have no right or authority to tell us that only people who agree with you get to post in this thread. If you want a discussion then you post here, that means people who don't agree with you get to say so, and why. If you don't want a discussion then send the Dev's a PM with your ideas.

Your idea is bad for a number of reasons.

Rep marks should not be resource that can be traded. Omega/New Rom marks should only be used for those factions. You should not be able to give them to other characters on your account let alone other players.

Lobi crystals are bound to character for reason and that seems unlikely to change. What Cryptic's reason behind this is, I don't know. But I don't for see them changing that anytime soon if at all.

If people want to sell off their Fleet Marks, that's up to them, but there does not need to be some sort of system put in that makes it easier to do so.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 8
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
Even if were account bound, you still wouldn't be able to trade them with other people.



Saying it doesn't matter doesn't really prove your point any.



Yes as a mater of fact it is my place to say something should not happen, and based how things have gone so far won't happen.



I have news for you. You don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be part of this discussion. You have no right or authority to tell us that only people who agree with you get to post in this thread. If you want a discussion then you post here, that means people who don't agree with you get to say so, and why. If you don't want a discussion then send the Dev's a PM with your ideas.

Your idea is bad for a number of reasons.

Rep marks should not be resource that can be traded. Omega/New Rom marks should only be used for those factions. You should not be able to give them to other characters on your account let alone other players.

Lobi crystals are bound to character for reason and that seems unlikely to change. What Cryptic's reason behind this is, I don't know. But I don't for see them changing that anytime soon if at all.

If people want to sell off their Fleet Marks, that's up to them, but there does not need to be some sort of system put in that makes it easier to do so.
And in all your little tirade, you haven't made even one valid point. Just a bunch of absolutist statements with little valid substance. Next
Just say no to ARC

Last edited by tancrediiv; 03-11-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Misspelled; typo
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 9
03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Unlikely to happen and unnecessary. If you want rewards, just play the game, that's how it works.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,200
# 10
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
And in all your little tirade, you haven't made even one valid point. Just a bunch of absolutist statements with little valid substance. Next
As mentioned in previous posts, the present STO reputation system rewards players for completing specific in-game content and progression with specifically matched rewards. For example, you can only obtain the Romulan Experimental Beam array by grinding enough Romulan-specifc missions and daily's to unlock T5 Romulan Reputation. Without this specific rep-to-reward system, many would never explore content that is specific to such items, whether it be ESTF's, Fleet Actions, Romulan Patrols, etc... they would only have to grind in their STO comfort-zone to get everything STO has to offer. If you believe this is fine, then I don't think anyone else here will be able sway your view, but please be prepared to be similarly rebuffed.

EDIT: BTW, I've already unlocked all T5 Romulan and Omega Rep. I have all the Mk XII sets besides Romulan (Reman had better defensive stats). I didn't have to do much to get the required marks to obtain everything... Just ESTF's for Omega and Epoh Daily's for the rest.

Last edited by shar487a; 03-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.