Career Officer
# 1 monetizing foundry
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
During Podcast UGC's 100th episode, i suggested a way to monetize the foundry, through the sales of specialized asset packs. Stuff that normally appear in game should not be considered part of these asset packs. instead, I'd like to see detail objects, sets, and costumes that belong to certain eras. For instance, a Captain Proton asset pack that will give authors the ability to build missions with those assets. Or another staple of Star Trek are the wild west or world war II episodes. Because they are not a part of the normal Star Trek Online universe, I think making them available as a zen-store purchasable asset pack that extends foundry in new ways would open countless story-telling opportunities in new and exciting ways. Plus it might encourage Cryptic to dedicate more resources towards developing Foundry.

Some of the asset packs, i'd glad throw zen at would be:

Captain Proton
Wild West
1920s
1960s
Moriarty
World War II
Vacations (ala Neelix's Resort Program)
ect...

What do you think? What asset packs would you be willing to throw money at? How much would you be willing to pay for them?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
I think having costume packs that are plugged in and used almost exclusively for Foundry related missions (and look cool besides) would be a great thing. While making them exclusive to the Foundry might be a bit extreme (there was a statement made many times that there were ZERO plans to monetize the foundry (which is a goofy lie because technically the foundry already is monetized since they still apparently havent blood fixed the issue where if you dont own a race its locked in the foundry editor) in the past)

I think that some one shot holodeck based stories both from the Foundry and from the Cryptic side of things altogether would be a great thing. Plus if you make it with the intent to use primarily with the foundry, this might be an interesting gauge on usage of the foundry based on sales.
Lieutenant
# 3
02-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Absolutely great ideas. We also need to be able to custom create some of the other species in the game such as.

Cathains
Romulans
Cardassians
other races that exist in cannon but not in game
Talaxians
breen

There are many many more!
Captain
# 4
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
During Podcast UGC's 100th episode, i suggested a way to monetize the foundry, through the sales of specialized asset packs. Stuff that normally appear in game should not be considered part of these asset packs. instead, I'd like to see detail objects, sets, and costumes that belong to certain eras. For instance, a Captain Proton asset pack that will give authors the ability to build missions with those assets. Or another staple of Star Trek are the wild west or world war II episodes. Because they are not a part of the normal Star Trek Online universe, I think making them available as a zen-store purchasable asset pack that extends foundry in new ways would open countless story-telling opportunities in new and exciting ways. Plus it might encourage Cryptic to dedicate more resources towards developing Foundry.

Captain Proton
Wild West
1920s
1960s
Moriarty
World War II
ect...

What do you think? What asset packs would you be willing to throw money at? How much would you be willing to pay for them?
I would support this, so long as there is a way to grind for it. But, to be honest, I don't think it will happen, unless Cryptic makes the stuff for a FE.

Foundry authors are such a small minority of players. If they had to decide, "Do we make a Captain Proton costume set for the C-store or devote resources to sets and props for foundry authors?" the choice is obvious.

We can't even get most of the stuff that they make added into the Foundry by the folks who make it.

But, at this point, I would buy assets, if that is the only chance of getting new stuff added.

If 1 person had this job, it would be a godsend to the Foundry.
Career Officer
# 5
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
another thought is there could be a holodeck adventure for non-authors that cryptic can develop and sell on the zen store. So, essentially, they make their own captain proton adventure, sell it in the zen store, and it unlocks those assets in foundry for those that buy it
Commander
# 6
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post

Captain Proton
Wild West
1920s
1960s
Moriarty
World War II
ect...

In the Z-store? Nothing makes any money in the store unless it cost $50. I said add Foundry asset packs to the lock boxes! Really really want to make a Captain Proton Foundry mission? It could cost you.

Beers,

Jengoz =/

=-=-=-=-=-
Play Farts, Cause they are funny!

Last edited by jengoz; 02-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
I can't help but feel this represents a lot of artist work for very little return. I have no doubt that a few Foundry authors could make great use of these assets, but how many Foundry missions would you expect to need wild west assets or captain Proton assets? Maybe a handful? Don't get me wrong, I have no particular objection to these things being in the Foundry (or any other new asset for that matter,) but lets face it, there is a greater chance of a T5 Connie happening.

As to motorization of the Foundry in general, there simply isn't enough Foundry authors to justify charging for Foundry assets. Think of how rare it is for KDF to get new C-Store items. This is due to a low return on investment. The Foundry author community is even smaller than that.

Now before someone runs off yelling that the Foundry is doomed without a monetary income, that's not how the game works, especially a F2P game. It's not about every feature in the game funding itself. Cryptic uses items which have a low development cost , but a high return to fund all of the things that don't.

The problem isn't that the Foundry isn't generating any money (it does generate value which is another aspect,) it that Cryptic must look at the needs of the Foundry in the context of the entire game. Simply put Cryptic has bigger things to deal with at the moment.

@greendragoon
Commander
# 8
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post

Now before someone runs off yelling that the Foundry is doomed without a monetary income, that's not how the game works, especially a F2P game. It's not about every feature in the game funding itself. Cryptic uses items which have a low development cost , but a high return to fund all of the things that don't.

I am not looking to pick a fight or troll you, but what game are you playing?!?

The Devs have flat out stated that they will not put resources unless there is a direct return attached to it. Doffs system? Attached to selling doff packs in the z ?store and lockboxes. Starbases? Dilithuim Resources sink design to get you to grind or buy Dilithuim.

Beers,

Jengoz =/

=-=-=-=-=
Play Farts, cause they are funny!
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
The problem isn't that the Foundry isn't generating any money (it does generate value which is another aspect,) it that Cryptic must look at the needs of the Foundry in the context of the entire game. Simply put Cryptic has bigger things to deal with at the moment.
This is precisely WHY it IS a terrific idea. By monetizing it, the devs have a reason to essentially "commission" their team to sidetrack and make these packs for the Foundry team that does want them.

Signed. Great Idea.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/246641_323883057709996_347034197_n.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Which is one reason why a proposal has been tabled to the idea of there also being a holodeck 'adventure' along with the pack, that you can play through as well from the cryptic side, and if you own this pack you can also create with it. The idea also being to potentially interest people into creating their own holodeck adventures and expanding use of the foundry as a whole.

(and making cryptic all the monies)