Captain
# 21
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soriedem View Post
In my opinion, the problem with a Captain Proton (for example) FE is that it doesn't fit into universe very well. Holodeck adventures would work as a zen store extra content thing. Sell holodeck adventures in the c-store that has the asset pack attached for foundry.
I understand your point here, but we're dealing with a game that has much of the following:

Pakled Admirals
Captains who fly Breen, Cardassian, and (soon) Borg ships.
Mini-games where Vice Admirals scan rocks on New Romulus.
People running around in every uniform of every era of Star Trek.

I could go on, lol.

I really like your list of sets and there are so many, many things that we could do with them that do fit well in the context of a holodeck. I just don't think we'll ever see any of it in the Foundry unless Cryptic is making the stuff for something else.

We're lucky if they put it in the Foundry.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
But consider the bare bones of what is being suggested and set aside the semantics of the game populace and statistical data of how many play/author it for one moment; many websites/second life/IMVU type of community interactive 3d homes sell "packages" to host a more enjoyable experience for those who act as "hosts" for community to "visit", for example I can spend real money to enhance the options to deck out a club in second life with the intent to compete with others in the same game.

It's no different really, you are purchasing "extra features" and I have to 100% disagree with you Hav that it is "fundamentally" wrong to do this.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/246641_323883057709996_347034197_n.jpg
Captain
# 23
02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
You all are drunk on Romulan Ale. Pay for asset packs, are you crazy? You are already providing quality content for this game at the price of a former sub, or paying for new slots.

The Foundry has Cryptic ROLLING in the dough right now. Dont you guys get it? If there was no Foundry, to play good missions, crappy missions, exploit missions, afk missions, and all we had right now in Feb 2013 was the content Cryptic has given us, then the game would have been DEAD today. Theres no way the lockbox buyers keep going if the Foundry wasnt carrying 3/4 of the content load in this game. Dan is exploiting Foundry authors far worse than exploiters are exploiting in this game. If Dan doesnt want to add indirect assets to the Foundry to add overall player volume to his game, thats his loss. Right now their numbers say the little effort they give to Foundry has players playing and providing good profit. When their metrics show their half hearted attempts at upkeep for the Foundry has players leaving and profit suffers, THEN we will get a massive boost in Foundry assets.

In the past I suggested themed Holodeck adventure zones for the Wild West, etc for players to pay for as extra fun content. That Id buy. But theres no way Id pay for the assets as an author to provide content for Cryptic. Thats insane and Sori you are insane for suggesting it.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Career Officer
# 24
02-22-2013, 02:05 PM
In response to Hav, I have to say, if they made an active decision to link zen store purchases to foundry as unlockable assets, not only would it encourage them to make those connections work, but would also encourage them to create more new content. It's just a way to entice them pay more attention to foundry, if it was able to generate some money. Some is better than none in my opinion. At least that is my hope.
Career Officer
# 25
02-22-2013, 02:08 PM
In response to Kirkfat, I did amend the idea later to suggest holodeck adventures as zen store purchase for the player base in general. That would fit in better with the precedent they've established with the alien ships du jour. Holodeck adventures are an extra. It doesn't hurt the average player to not get it. but those that want to play them, can certainly spend the money to do so. Then, as an extra bonus, they're in foundry for us to use.

I think the link between zen store and foundry is going to be key in monetizing the foundry.
Career Officer
# 26
02-22-2013, 02:12 PM
DoubleOh, i never claimed not to be at least a little nuts. :-P
Captain
# 27
02-22-2013, 02:13 PM
I wonder what their stats are, regarding how they've already intentionally or unintentionally done this with playable species.

I can't make certain species of costumes if I haven't purchased them as playable species. All I can do is import other folks costumes and edit a few things.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
02-22-2013, 02:19 PM
We're not crazy. We just want them to pay more attention to the tool, to add the things that should have been added. While we would all love to have them just up and add every asset we've ever wanted out of the goodness of their hearts, our experience over the past 2 years tells us they are not likely to do this.

So what's the answer?

Monetization is one idea on how to entice them to do it. If that doesn't sit well with you, what are some other ideas?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 29
02-22-2013, 02:54 PM
The instant I am required to pay cash to make foundry missions I am gone from STO once and for all.
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
The instant I am required to pay cash to make foundry missions I am gone from STO once and for all.
Nobody suggested that. The "option" to get some themed asset packs is just that-an option. You would still get free assets, the pay ones would be unique assets that are only obtained through money.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/246641_323883057709996_347034197_n.jpg