Captain
# 51
02-24-2013, 10:59 AM
I feel the main reason people like this idea if they do is that they see it as a way to encourage getting more assets delivered to the foundry authors, or "rarer" or oddball ones added in. That or they want to add some form of foundry oriented "Kickstarter" which is all well and good but there is a big problem.

The foundry author base is WAY too small to make it a viable and cost effective use of time. They have said this in a few places including a European Gamers developer conference when they were sharing their knowledge gained on this type of UGC in mmos. It is not a good business idea. The best way to keep it monetized is to utilize it as content for players so they spend more time in game and are more willing to buy a new ship/costume slots/inventory slots or any other thing that they would be exposed to and more inclined to purchase while playing.

You may want more assets but monetization or a kickstarter, on our scale, will probably not make it happen. Even if we all were willing to pay we wouldn't have enough to support the construction of a single "pack".

For other details I side with some of the previous posts by Cerberusfilms and snippets from other folks who are basically getting all my thoughts out there.

Last edited by designationxr377; 02-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Commander
# 52
02-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
Dan is just a bad EP. Its as simple as that. We've all thrown countless amounts of good ideas to him by now over the years, and he still prioritizes the less profitable avenues. Star Trek fans have been telling him how to make bank off of us, but to no avail. He's the wrong EP for this IP, because he just doesnt get us. In three years this game could be making WoW tremble, but I doubt WoW devs are scared of STO in the least.

The Foundry Affiliates idea is something that should have been done from the start. But its obvious they arent as business savy as they think they are. The affiliates idea is the only fair way for Cryptic to make additional indirect profit off an author's hard work. And we dont need commercial loading screens inside commercial missions
The Foundry is the least potentially profitable area in the game, only 2% of players regularly use the Foundry, even if they managed to get 50% of the regular authors purchasing these asset packs or the affiliate program (this is a high estimate, the actual numbers would probably be closer to 25%), most of the remaining 50% would more than likely quit the Foundry and STO altogether. And the remaining 98% of players would most likely never step into the Foundry create screen again.
Career Officer
# 53
02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
In three years this game could be making WoW tremble, but I doubt WoW devs are scared of STO in the least.
Uhm, no. Not without about $400 million in development, and even then it would be extremely unlikely, as Blizzard would react to anything like that by spending as much. Cryptic Studios went up against Blizzard in game development once before, and that with a few months of head start. The result? That game shut down last November.

There is no reasonable expenditure that could cause this game to overtake WoW. Their headstart is too great. Nobody within Cryptic has ever thought for a moment that they were aiming at unseating that juggernaut; it was never about that. WoW's success is due to a very specific confluence of events that have since been cemented by years of massive expenditure; the time is not ripe for them to fall.

It's possible that Elder Scrolls Online is spending enough money ($300 million) with the right mix (people tired of the old game, extremely popular existing game franchise, enough money spent to polish the bit usually left until after launch) to beat them, but anything short of that effort hasn't a chance.

Star Wars is a larger fanbase, has a greater history of successful games, and spent half that much money; and they didn't make an audible thump under WoW's tires as it rolled over them. I'm a Trekkie first and foremost since 1966, but this franchise isn't as huge as we like to think it is.

I ran into a gamer yesterday who didn't know what a tribble was. We're a niche. A wonderful, hopeful, intelligent, amazing niche I wouldn't trade for the world, but a niche. To beat WoW you have to not rely on your IP, but actually outdevelop them, and that means outspend them.
Commander
# 54
02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Uhm, no. Not without about $400 million in development, and even then it would be extremely unlikely, as Blizzard would react to anything like that by spending as much. Cryptic Studios went up against Blizzard in game development once before, and that with a few months of head start. The result? That game shut down last November.

There is no reasonable expenditure that could cause this game to overtake WoW. Their headstart is too great. Nobody within Cryptic has ever thought for a moment that they were aiming at unseating that juggernaut; it was never about that. WoW's success is due to a very specific confluence of events that have since been cemented by years of massive expenditure; the time is not ripe for them to fall.

It's possible that Elder Scrolls Online is spending enough money ($300 million) with the right mix (people tired of the old game, extremely popular existing game franchise, enough money spent to polish the bit usually left until after launch) to beat them, but anything short of that effort hasn't a chance.

Star Wars is a larger fanbase, has a greater history of successful games, and spent half that much money; and they didn't make an audible thump under WoW's tires as it rolled over them. I'm a Trekkie first and foremost since 1966, but this franchise isn't as huge as we like to think it is.

I ran into a gamer yesterday who didn't know what a tribble was. We're a niche. A wonderful, hopeful, intelligent, amazing niche I wouldn't trade for the world, but a niche. To beat WoW you have to not rely on your IP, but actually outdevelop them, and that means outspend them.
QFT

Market anaylsts have spent years studying WoW's success and have generally come to the conclusion that it was a fluke and unlikely to happen again.
Empire Veteran
# 55
02-24-2013, 03:11 PM
No. We're providing them unlimited and almost free content. Almost free because they have zer0 working on foundry stuff a few days a month, and i'm not even sure she isn't adding assets on her free time. Actually the ROI must be excellent with the foundry...

A c-store assets pack sounds like prisonners paying for the rope to tie them to me. If it sounds silly to you then your mental health is ok.