Lt. Commander
I downloaded the client from fileplanet, when I went to install it said this program is incompatible with the version of windows I am running and to check my system to see if I need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

I am running windows Vista 64 bit.

any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 06:59 AM
I was just having the same error... Running Vista Home premium x64. I fixed it by redownloading (I know this sucks!). I noticed that the first time I downloaded, the EXE had a generic windows icon, and after I redownloaded, it had an icon of the STO logo. After redownload it installed with no problems. (I didn't have to run as administrator or in compatibility mode.) I hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 07:03 AM
I have the same problem. Downloaded from fileplanet and got that error when I tried setup.exe. Deleted all files....that hurt. Downloaded again from a differnt source, and got the error again. Updated all my drivers. I'm using 7 x64, so changed compatibility settings to vista, and then xp, got same error. Changed folder name so I could save and am now downloading form the official Cryptic site. That should be done in over a day! Don't really expect it to work.

Really could use some advice, please!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraxle View Post
I downloaded the client from fileplanet, when I went to install it said this program is incompatible with the version of windows I am running and to check my system to see if I need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.

I am running windows Vista 64 bit.

any suggestions?
sounds like a corrupt download .
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 07:10 AM
For me at least, the .EXE file was the only one corrupted. I redownloaded just that from the Torrent, and it installed and ran perfectly. I don't know why only the EXE would be corrupted, but apparently it was.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Same error for me as well. Downloading again Do I need to delete the old download first, or can I just download again and it will copy over the old files?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balendor
Same error for me as well. Downloading again Do I need to delete the old download first, or can I just download again and it will copy over the old files?
technically you can do that but it helps it not to barf ,if you have a fresh install.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I have Vista HP 64 bit as well and it works for me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minago2
technically you can do that but it helps it not to barf ,if you have a fresh install.
Shoot, well I guess I'll see what happens. I had to restart the download and leave for work. I just left the files there to be copied over (just in case all it was was incomplete). At 50 Kb / sec, this is a lot of fun. Oh well, I suppose I get what I pay for ($0 to Fileplanet).

Still, if anyone else has this error, please just add a comment to this thread. Helps make their tech people see how widespread it is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I had this issue with Win7 64bit. I didn't have to redownload the entire thing. Just the 2.5MB setup EXE file was bad. I redownloded that from the torrent and now things are working ok. Poster that said the icon changed was correct as well. When the icon got better, so did the result.