Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldradt
I had the same problem on win 7 x64.

By accident this happened and solved the problem: I deleted the download to recycling bin and restored it from there. After I did that, the setup.exe had a STO icon and run like intended.

Can someone confirm that?
That'll be worth 5 bars of gold pressed latinum if it works. I'll try it once I get home from work this evening. Assuming my 7 gig @ 50 KB/second download is finished.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePryde View Post
Sure it's the downloaded file. I have Vista 64bit and haven't had any problems
yeah but like ive written ive downloaded now for the fourth time the other 3 from 3 different sources - Fileplanet, Torrent, and the .exe from the website, strange that all 3 would be corrupted?
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Sounds like the FilePlanet downloader is corrupting the setup.exe file.

Please try deleting the setup.exe file and rerun the FilePlanet downloader, this should check your files and re-download the setup file.

Sincerely,
Cryptic Studios Technical Support
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I tried deleting the executable and then re-downloading it. I get the same thing. Hangs on the DirectX portion of the install.

I even went ahead and re-downloaded the directx installer from MS website and it says:

"DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary."
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
flaresama,

Sounds like your Fileplanet download has more corrupt files than just the Setup.exe. Delete the files that it downloaded and try the downloader again or pick a different source for the Open Beta Client from the download page.

http://www.startrekonline.com/download

Sincerely,
Cryptic Studios Technical Support
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, no luck with deleting the downloaded files and then restoring them from the recycle bin. So, now I'll delete the setup.exe file and try to download again (from Fileplanet). Sigh, in a queue for 60 minutes just to get back in.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
So I was just lucky, hu? Strang thing...

What I else did was, I deleted the files, startet torrent (mu torrent), realized I had deleted the files, stopped torrent, deleted the new files and recovered the old ones...

After that it worked. Dunno why, just telling...

P.S. you can download the setup.exe seperatly via torrent without any waiting time... (didn't help for me)
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-13-2010, 01:08 AM
wow so the only solution to this is another 5 hour download that might not work? any dev think they might be able to come up with a better solution than that? my ultimate respect to you guys cause im sure there are alot of issues going with this. as would be expected with any game this large. would just love if these two months of waiting could be resolved with more than just a "maybey" solution. this seems to be a larger problem if it is happening repeatedly. has any solution been found? im going nuts over here waiting and would love to join my fleet in this open beta time to see your great creations:p
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-13-2010, 01:16 AM
ok i found a solution for us already guys. delete just the exe. file download just the exe. file from the torrent that they have for us. it took me ten minutes and poof! now im patching!!!! hope this helps you all

there had to be something corrupt in that file from our download sites. this worked great!
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-13-2010, 02:13 AM
1. Vista and 7 act similarly with installing new programs. What you want to do in both is run setup.exe as an admin. It is essential that you do this, because it just won't work otherwise. There should be no compatibility issues, as the game is certified for XP, Vista, and 7 (apparently) 32- and 64-bit.

2. FilePlanet, as I am sure other sites do, has you download a zipped folder. What you must do it unzip the folder by right-clicking on the folder itself and pressing unzip (or something to that effect). It will take a long time, but it worked for me on 7 x64. The featureless icon for setup.exe should then change in the new folder to the STO icon. It doesn't matter where you put this new folder, because setup just creates another folder in your C:\ drive. You usually can't run programs in a zipped folder, because the zipping compresses the folder for transfer between computers.

Best of luck to you with your issues! I hope this helps!