Republic Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 439
# 21
02-23-2013, 06:15 PM
It's been said before that (paraphrasing here) "KDF is not a profitable faction to propose a third faction is out of the question."

I wanna say it was Dan who said this some time ago, but you may wanna search the forums for the post as I've lost track of it.

I don't see there being a third faction at all. KDF needs far too much work and to think they would sacrifice even more manpower to develop a third faction seems pretty ridiculous.

It takes a lot of time to develop a faction. Not a few months. We're talking a good year. Just look at KDF. It's been 3 years and still that faction is very much incomplete.
_______________________________
To answer your question, yes. - @Executive_Emily - I have a Website? Oh, yeah! I do.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 22
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
All I know is that if they introduce a playable Romulan faction without completing the KDF faction will cause a lot of KDF players to be seriously ticked off.
What doesn't piss off KDF players? I'd swear that if the devs implemented the KDF wishlist, KDF players would still find reason to cry. They're worse than Ferengi, and probably should all be permabanned for being such spineless warriors.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 229
# 23
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
It's been said before that (paraphrasing here) "KDF is not a profitable faction to propose a third faction is out of the question."

I wanna say it was Dan who said this some time ago, but you may wanna search the forums for the post as I've lost track of it.

I don't see there being a third faction at all. KDF needs far too much work and to think they would sacrifice even more manpower to develop a third faction seems pretty ridiculous.

It takes a lot of time to develop a faction. Not a few months. We're talking a good year. Just look at KDF. It's been 3 years and still that faction is very much incomplete.

They've also (in the past) had polls, to get feedback from the player base, on what faction would be created. Romulan won by a decent margin (if memory serves). I believe it was also stated, on numerous occasions going back into closed beta (that would fall under the 'years ago' header), that they WOULD like to add the Romulan Faction if they had the time/resources to do so.

As far as "incomplete" .. Yes there are those in the KDF that will complain, and rally against the creation of another faction until "the KDF is completed." The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask. Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.

Do you honestly believe that PWI wouldn't be able to make additional income off of selling RSE Ships and costuming? If there's an opportunity to make money, I'm sure PWI wouldn't turn up their nose at the creation of the Romulan faction..
______________________________________________
GalanVaurek joined August 2008
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86/alucard1971/STO%20HD/Galan_Signature_zps20082895.png
Stonewall Fleet
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 24
02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post
Do you honestly believe that PWI wouldn't be able to make additional income off of selling RSE Ships and costuming? If there's an opportunity to make money, I'm sure PWI wouldn't turn up their nose at the creation of the Romulan faction..
Would they be able to maintain the faction as profitable? Would they even recoup the investment of developing the faction off the initial sales rush?

I'm sure if that same survey was offered, but without KDF being in the game, and KDF was an option, then KDF would have dominated the voting; we already see that being the overwhelming favorite for a new faction does not equate to financial success.

Hopefully they do something better for Romulan vessels than they did with KDF, and find a better way to dress the ability to use a cross-faction ship without actually having to launch a full-blown faction. Because to me, that's really all the KDF amounts to; a cover for letting players use Klingon ships. I'm sure there's a better solution, one which is more financially sound while also being acceptable from the perspective of the STO universe (because let's face it, this really isn't cannon, but that's alright with me).
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,231
# 25
02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post
The text under the spread "wings" are:

"March Beneath the Raptors Wings" ...

How would that have anything to do with the Ferengi?
Just joking obviously

... but have not noticed the Ferengi get there hands on the new hips to sell for profit?

I highly doubt there has been enough time to create a whole Romulan faction. Probably a Romulan playable race as part of the KDF.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
Sign up here:
www.bushrangers.net
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 897
# 26
02-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
It's been said before that (paraphrasing here) "KDF is not a profitable faction to propose a third faction is out of the question."

I wanna say it was Dan who said this some time ago, but you may wanna search the forums for the post as I've lost track of it.

I don't see there being a third faction at all. KDF needs far too much work and to think they would sacrifice even more manpower to develop a third faction seems pretty ridiculous.

It takes a lot of time to develop a faction. Not a few months. We're talking a good year. Just look at KDF. It's been 3 years and still that faction is very much incomplete.
Your arguments are valid, provided the assumption that Cryptic hasn't been working on the RSE for some time know. We simply don't know for sure, but we can infer that since the team is much larger than it used to be, their capabilities have increased as well.

They know fans want a Romulan faction and if this tease is anything but, they know they're in for a world of hurt.

Mark my words: Romulan faction.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,259
# 27
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post
The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask.
The General consensus (pun intended, cause KDF characters are all GENERALS! Hah!) is that the faction needs to be accessible at character creation without opening up a fed. Needs to be able to be levelled from 1 to 50. That's really the big sticking point. And is something that the Incomplete KDF at least has a quorum on.

Quote:
Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.
That's semantics. The KDF isn't asking to be "complete" in the way this comment suggests. They are asking to have the level gaps in their faction filled out. The end-game or elder game or whatever your average MMO developer wants to tag "what do I do now that I hit level cap?" portion of this game has been equitably developed for both factions since Season 1. The gripe is that KDF characters had to level a Fed first (originally to 6, now much higher) to even access the KDF. And that the KDF didn't have a 1 to 50 cycle of content to actually level through. At 50 the game's been even for ages. There are quibbles that the KDF gets copy-paste versions of Fed missions. But that's just minor quibbling. And to suggest that the Feds are "incomplete too" really does a disservice to the disparity that the KDF wants addressed.
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,230
# 28
02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
There is no confirmation we are getting a playable Romulan faction in May.

All you people are doing is spreading rumors. Most players don't read the forums but the ones who do tell people in game what they "read" on the forums.

What's going to happen in May when the big update hits and we don't have a playable Romulan faction, or at least species? People are going to get pissed and start screaming "Cryptic promised we would get playable Romulans! ". Then what? Some players are going to take it as the truth and quit the game because they didn't get what was actually never promised to come in May.

It is possible we may bet at the very least a playable Romulan species and later a whole faction. But for now I'm looking at the teaser page and guessing we will be getting "something" that involves Romulans and nothing more until Cryptic reveals more info on the subject.

So please, don't jump to conclusions and take what you read on the forums with a grain of salt. There is no evidence yet either way until Cryptic says so.

Besides, I think they want to "finish" the KDF faction first before creating a new faction, giving the KDF a full level 1-50 content with a new full tutorial for new characters, and adding things like KDF version of all the various story episodes the Feds have, or most of it.
Every time Arc is downloaded, a poodle spontaneously combusts. Please support the cause and download Arc today.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,418
# 29
02-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
Besides, I think they want to "finish" the KDF faction first before creating a new faction, giving the KDF a full level 1-50 content with a new full tutorial for new characters, and adding things like KDF version of all the various story episodes the Feds have, or most of it.
But quite a few of those things have been in the pipe for some time now. Season Seven was pretty big all things considered, and the now have double the team, and double the time that Season Seven was. So I'm pretty hopeful.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,529
# 30
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post
They've also (in the past) had polls, to get feedback from the player base, on what faction would be created. Romulan won by a decent margin (if memory serves). I believe it was also stated, on numerous occasions going back into closed beta (that would fall under the 'years ago' header), that they WOULD like to add the Romulan Faction if they had the time/resources to do so.

As far as "incomplete" .. Yes there are those in the KDF that will complain, and rally against the creation of another faction until "the KDF is completed." The problem with that is... there are varying opinions as to what would constitute "complete" depending on who you ask. Not to mention that after three years, they are continually adding new content for the Federation, making it, incomplete as well. No faction will ever be "complete" in an MMO with continued development.

Do you honestly believe that PWI wouldn't be able to make additional income off of selling RSE Ships and costuming? If there's an opportunity to make money, I'm sure PWI wouldn't turn up their nose at the creation of the Romulan faction..
IIRC the poll question was "What type of content do you want to see in 2013?"

Romulans beat the Klingons...
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.