Starfleet Veteran
# 31
02-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
[...]
I highly doubt there has been enough time to create a whole Romulan faction. [...]
Okay, let's have a look what they need to do to create a Romulan faction:
  • Outfits for Romulans - they have done these already.
  • Romulan Boffs - they have done these already.
  • Romulan ships
  • Romulan Starbase skins
  • A Romulan Home Zone like ESD or Qo'onos, with NPC contacts for everything as usual.
  • A couple of Romulan missions and dailes

Anything else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Starfleet Veteran
# 32
02-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Seriously I hope there is a faction, but I am not holding my breath...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Okay, let's have a look what they need to do to create a Romulan faction:
  • Outfits for Romulans - they have done these already.
  • Romulan Boffs - they have done these already.
  • Romulan ships They are NPC ships. Cryptic have said that there is a huge difference between playable ships. eg A lot of back end tech is missing on the models
  • Romulan Starbase Same issues as starships, and no interiors
  • A Romulan Home Zone like ESD or Qo'onos, with NPC contacts for everything as usual. Yes I agree this is very cool and makes sense
  • A couple of Romulan missions and dailes <<< This is the big problem. You are missing about 40 faction specific missions. And looking at how much work is involved in FE, and the main reason KDF is missing them, is why I am doubtful.

Anything else?

Yup ... happy KDF faction is a good one.
If there is a Romulan faction I will be very very happy and instantly starting a Rom Tac.
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Rihannsu
# 33
02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
ill start at least 3 Romulan Toons

if it all boils down to MISSION CONTENT, the Romulans can start at lvl 40-45, have some 3-4 missions and a tutorial, and can also play the Breen/Undine episodes.. Even the Romulan ones.
Career Officer
# 34
02-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I think folks are forgetting that at one point cryptic said that They have pretty much finished a Klingon Tutorial for the game, but the fact that They didn't have enough missions for the 1 to 20 leveling, caused Them to, not place it into the game at that time.

That was several 'Seasons' ago... it seems to me that by now, They probably have more than enough KDF-only missions on the back burner waiting to be added.

I'd be really surprised if come May, the Klingon starting point Isn't bumped back to level one.

That said...,
They got away with pushing the Klingon faction out of the starting gate half finished...
(and have slowly been improving it since then)

What's to stop Them from doing the same with a Romulan Faction and just keep adding to it in the months and years to come.

The Klingon players have shown how dedicated they are to the game (I don't believe the numbers are a dismal as Cryptic would have us believe), and it's probably a safe bet that the Fed players are generous enough with their spending to off-set the cost of adding to the KDF as well as a third faction...

Goodness knows that the folks that desire a Romulan Faction have been vocal enough around here to give cause for Cryptic to at least consider it.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
02-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
[...]
They are NPC ships. Cryptic have said that there is a huge difference between playable ships. eg A lot of back end tech is missing on the models
You misunderstood me here. I did not claim that Romulan ships of player quality were already in the game. So, how much work is it to design a ship, or all the ships required for a Romulan faction? A man-work? Two? Four? If you have an opinion about what is too much work and what not, you'll probably have an idea about that.

Quote:
Romulan Starbase Same issues as starships, and no interiors
So, how much work would a Romulan Starbase system be? Most of the game design work is already done, what remains is the art. How much work? 10 man-weeks? 20?

Quote:
A Romulan Home Zone like ESD or Qo'onos, with NPC contacts for everything as usual. Yes I agree this is very cool and makes sense
5 Man-weeks? 10?

Quote:
A couple of Romulan missions and dailes <<< This is the big problem. You are missing about 40 faction specific missions. And looking at how much work is involved in FE, and
the main reason KDF is missing them, is why I am doubtful.
Let us say they start at level 40. all you'll need is a short story arc, of say five missions or so, the rest can be levelled with STF's and stuff like it. 1 space fleet action, 1 ground fleet action... let us say a total of 10 missions. How much is that? 4 man-weeks per mission? How long does it take you to build something in the Foundry? Add some custom ground locations to that, and you should have an estimate.

So, using the most pessimistic of the above numbers:
  • 4 man-weeks per ship, 3 free ships: 12 Man-weeks.
  • 20 man-weeks for the Starbase system.
  • 10 man-weeks for "RSD", Romulan Space Dock.
  • 10 missions and stuff like it, 4 man-weeks each, so 40 man-weeks.

The sum of that is 82 man-weeks. They have 50 people, so that's almost 200 man-weeks per month (vacations and illnesses substracted).

So even if I am estimating bei 400% too low, they might have plenty of time to just do it from January to May.

Now, they are also doing other stuff, such as more Klingon missions (possibly level 1-20?), Warp Cores, probably the next lockbox... etc. But still, it looks doable to me.

Quote:
Anything else?

Yup ... happy KDF faction is a good one.
[...]
I have never seen a happy KDF faction here on the forums. But the Klingon gameplay is awesome still. Must be more a forum poster thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
# 36
02-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Yes, yes they are coming. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't want them, or is too much of a conspiracy theorist in that they believe it's some great Cryptic hoax. Ignore these people.
Funny thing to say, when all you got to believe in, is based on a conspiracy theory ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
All signs point to yes, but nothing's been stated outright.

Now sit back, relax, and wait for "Romulan Faction Thread #8642947".
Which signs would that be ... Forum speculations about a Wallpaper ...

There is absolutely no official announcement 3 months before release ... and most signs point to "probably not" like this :

Quote:
Dstahl: We are not ready to begin discussing the details of what is in our May update, however the reference definitely suggests that it is related to Romulans in some way. We will share more news about the update and give a clearer response to your question as we get closer to May.
we need to reserve these ships for a future update when we can implement a playable Romulan faction.
If and when we release a Romulan faction, ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I think folks are forgetting that at one point cryptic said that They have pretty much finished a Klingon Tutorial for the game, but the fact that They didn't have enough missions for the 1 to 20 leveling, caused Them to, not place it into the game at that time.

That was several 'Seasons' ago... it seems to me that by now, They probably have more than enough KDF-only missions on the back burner waiting to be added.

I'd be really surprised if come May, the Klingon starting point Isn't bumped back to level one.
Sorry i call BS on this one, I don't believe for a second Cryptic is working on KDF Content for the last Seasons and is holding it back till now ... I don't even believe they have a complete Tutorial ... all you might get in May is 1-2 Missions ... and I don't think they're gonna be KDF only like the Season 2 Stuff ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-24-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 37
02-24-2013, 12:32 AM
That quote is just vague enough to go either way really.

It certainly can be construed to mean that He's just holding His cards very close to His chest at this time.

I have no clue, but I'm not discounting anything at this point.

I'd like to know how the question was worded, that He answered with the first line...

The "...give a clearer response to your question..." is the part that intrigues me.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 02-24-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Career Officer
# 38
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
That quote is just vague enough to go either way really.
It's Dstahl we're talking about, Cryptic's Leading Skycastle Builder, if he would have ANYTHING ... there would be Announcements all over the place, not the same Statements you're getting since Day 1 "If and when ... yadda yadda yadda"

Quote:
I'd like to know how the question was worded, that He answered with the first line...
It's all from February's Ask Cryptic, people might wanna read it, because it's the only official statement besides Internet Forum Hype ....

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=820691

Last edited by thutmosis85; 02-24-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 39
02-24-2013, 12:58 AM
I call BS on a playable Romulan faction based on the following:

1) We have seen the alleged "team" grow in size and "capability" yes, but we've also seen quality take a vertical dive. They can't release a patch without breaking something and most times... it takes 2-3 weeks to fully sort out. They can't even get a cash-shop ship right on initial release.

2) There is an entire STO wiki page dedicated to the promises made regarding the KDF side. KDF is not profitable because it is half-finished. It has even LESS story than the Fed Side. Betcha top dollar that if they released 40 more stories, and a couple of Klingon-centric FEs it would be profitable... Problem is:

3) Lockboxes. If it can't fit in a lockbox it's not on their radar. Know what I think? May is going to be a couple new grind-worlds, Romulan themed lockboxes, Romulan player-characters and more "plasma gear." Expect more copy-paste Romulan Plasma ____ weapons and gear... they've developed the NPC artwork now it's a question of porting it over... and making it lock-box-able.

They do NOT want to fix or remaster existing episodes (remember that promise?) They do NOT want to implement story missions or entire FEs. Those can't be ground like Nukara or Defera can. The 2800 was a stab at making an FE-Grind... It was a good attempt but it relied too much on the "go here click this" mechanic... which gets very tedious on the third or forth runthrough.

As I discussed in chat today, I have high hopes that I am wrong about this next season. Maybe it'll be something grand, with new exciting content and plenty of interesting non-grind story progression and introduce new mechanics and concepts. BUT I am also in my mid 40s, I've been around long enough to know once a company lowers itself like Cryptic has... you rarely get anything "good" from such a company again. I am hoping for something epic, but I realize I am just setting myself up for disappointment.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Career Officer
# 40
02-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
1) We have seen the alleged "team" grow in size and "capability" yes, but we've also seen quality take a vertical dive. They can't release a patch without breaking something and most times... it takes 2-3 weeks to fully sort out. They can't even get a cash-shop ship right on initial release.
Agree ... furthermore what people seem to forget is that they had that manpower before, probably even more, since Atari kept 150 Cryptic employees after purchase back in 2009, and where unable to deliver 2 complete factions ... now we have like 50 and they're supposed to rush it out in 2 months ...