Career Officer
# 91
02-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Actually yes, I am an engineer...
I honor your nerdness, fellow keeper of the pocket protector. Ours is a noble, if misunderstood profession. We learn Greek the hard way!!

Porthos is not amused.
Lieutenant
# 92
02-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Oh, if only the forums ToS was a bit more lenient...
You forgot to add a link to the peer reviewed paper you're citing, by the way. No self-respecting truth seeker would simply quote WUWT or Lord Monckton at me.
A bit more lenient for what purpose? I assumed, since you replied to my post so readily, that you surely wished to have a meaningful discussion, and you were not just trolling. As far as calling me names, you only prove my initial point over and over and over again. The best name caller does not make the brightest mind.

Actually these papers are on personal file, so I did the work for you, so you could see it nice and pretty online. As far as me being a truth seeker, well, I would not accuse you of such.

http://oss.sagepub.com/content/33/11/1477.full

I want to note, for those that do not wish to read this, that it is done by a proponent of man made global warming, who fears that the decrease in scientists that actually believe in man made global warming is becoming a problem. Supporters have actually decreased from 75% to 45% within the study, while complete deniers of the event occurring (something I am not), has risen. The debate is still on, and the science is not through. The talking heads on television will tell you different, depending on which side of the stick they are on.

For the record, this is not a debate over man made global climate change, I am simply showing you that you were wrong when you implied that there was a consensus of scientists on the issue. Before you troll a post, you should know who you are trolling. Sometimes people actually do know what they are talking about.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere

Last edited by lukeminherexx; 02-26-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Captain
# 93
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
The constant negativity I always see on these kinds of threads is kind of dangerous. United Earth and world peace are absolutely possible. But it's never going to happen if we all convince ourselves that it's not. Really, the only obstacles to us doing it are the limitations we place on our collective imagination.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Lt. Commander
# 94
02-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The constant negativity I always see on these kinds of threads is kind of dangerous. United Earth and world peace are absolutely possible. But it's never going to happen if we all convince ourselves that it's not. Really, the only obstacles to us doing it are the limitations we place on our collective imagination.
Anything is possible, but there is a difference to imagination and reality. World Peace? Certainly possible, but realistically? Not for a long time, and probably not in our lifetimes. Unless aliens land on the planet. Friendly aliens. I'd imagine that humans would want to stop squabbling and fighting each other when we can start squabbling and fighting aliens...or at least unite so we don't look like a bunch of idiots to them.

(If aliens exist and are aware of earth they probably stay away because we squabble too much.)

A society where everyone can do whatever they want because everything is basically free by magic technology? Even it its possible to create that kind of technology our grandchildren will be dust before it happens, most likely, and it almost certainly won't be like Star Trek's earth. For one reason, if you give people everything they can not only need but everything they want for free no one is going to work. Well, maybe the people making and maintaining the replicator/holodecks will be working, but they ain't gonna do it for free.

...and thats if its even possible to make a replicator like on Star Trek....and that it runs on some kind of super battery because the energy has to come from somewhere....and unless you kill every cow, fish and chicken on the planet humans aren't going to be all vegetarians.

Its not negativity ,its realism. A futuristic mankind in space is again, more likely to be like Babylon Five or Firefly than Star Trek.
Ensign
# 95
02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Some of it is

well with 3d prototyping we are not far from replicators
Nanotech is already well on the way
We already have a lot of the medical tech Bones uses.
and the Phaser is not out of the bounds of science

so far no possibility of transporters , warp drive or any of the other "CORE" systems (warp drive is probably impossible as it requires the laws of physics to be wrong)

Ah we have to have a couple of WARS first
the Eugenics war and the Third World war
But even in trek 90% of humanity hates each other

superior tech , resources and of course our great wisdom
actual aliens are more statistically likely to be EXTREMELY primative compared with us than highly advanced
And I can promise you that Aliens out there will NOT look anything like humans our format is mathmatically improbable even for here

incidentally there are at least 12 species on EARTH that classify as intelligent and that we could work with to get into space (most of them aquatic)

Give it three Generations
About your third point.

SADDLY history has proven time and time again when a culture meets another culture less advanced the advanced culture destroys the less advanced one.

If we ever get to the space travel part of Star Trek, We would need a Prime Directive ASAP or we will end up being something like rome was.
Survivor of Romulus
# 96
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Actually sometimes the less advanced destroys the more advanced

but we are growing up
maybe given a few generations we won't be so angry
Captain
# 97
02-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnurntumber View Post
For one reason, if you give people everything they can not only need but everything they want for free no one is going to work.
If they have jobs they like, they will.

Name something you enjoy doing. Chances are there's a workplace equivalent (or close) somewhere. So you can enjoy your job, not have to worry about supporting yourself, and be satisfied that you're doing your part in keeping humanity alive and peaceful.

And "everything they want for free" isn't at all what I said. Resources should be distributed as needed. This would teach people to be grateful for what they have, and to understand why they shouldn't be greedy.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 98
02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
I have a cartoon framed over my desk that graphically illustrates that all things are possible except skiing through a revolving door. During downtime throughout my workday (like now) I often stare at that cartoon and try to imagine ways in which it would be possible to ski through a revolving door. If the door is large enough to accomadate the skis, and if it is rotating at such a speed that doors are moving at the same rate as the skiier, (perhaps directed by radar) then a skiier should pass through without difficulty.

This is a helpful reminder to me to look for creative solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems. It nicely balances the test engineer's ethos "Some Damn Thing Always Goes Wrong."

As I consider Star Trek and how it relates to the future of humanity, I ultimately see only possibilities. Yes, things will go wrong; as I stated before, another world war is all but inevitable. However these setbacks are merely challenging problems requiring creative solutions to overcome. As humans have proved over and over again, we thrive on challenge. The Chinese character for "Disaster" is also used for "Opportunity." During the Cold War - a forty-year period where humanity was on the verge of self-anihilation - we saw unprecedented advances in technology, an increase in average education level, and improvement in the average human lifespan.

I think humans have an innate understanding that the only way to improve themselves personally and collectively as a species is by facing and overcoming challenges. That gives me hope that as we move toward 2409, the world of Star Trek will become our reality.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Starfleet Veteran
# 99
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Actually it would have to be unfriendly Aliens landing on the planet and making humans behave responsibly.

Remember, humans are primates and are inherently selfish. Even those that are selfless get off on the praise they receive.

I personally believe that primates are like a planetary venereal disease that happens after a cataclysm removes the rightful owners and that's why most aliens avoid Earth.

To make Star Trek we need new and improved people
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Starfleet Veteran
# 100
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
And "everything they want for free" isn't at all what I said. Resources should be distributed as needed. This would teach people to be grateful for what they have, and to understand why they shouldn't be greedy.
So people wouldn't get some of the things they want, at all?

I think I enjoy Capitalism over your idea of Utopia. At the least, right now I know I can get things I want by earning lots of money.