Career Officer
# 21
02-24-2013, 06:14 AM
As long as cowbow diplomacy exists, we don't run of Red Shirts, and there are mysterious aliens to "take back to your Quarters", I'd say so!
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
02-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
United Earth: This is the big point to me. Not so much the united governments, but more humanity as a species, at this point in time, I do honestly wonder if humanity could truly put aside all differences and such, and unite for all time like that.
What we might see if we ever develop faster than light space travel, is different cultures/races/religious groups starting their own colony somewhere else just for their own people. That would end up creating a truly unified world, with no other conflicting nations/cultures/races/religious groups living on it.

Actually that's something I would be interested in. But I don't think I will live to see it, and I'm still a young guy.

As for Earth, not unless the Book of Revelations plays out like it's supposed to. Otherwise I don't see a unified Earth Government ever working unless it uses great tyranny. You simply can't have one government that would understand and effectively govern all the different people in the world. As an U.S. citizen I wouldn't ever want to live under the law of the nation of Iran, for example. Yet an unified Earth Government would have to pass laws that would appease citizens in both these geographical regions. It's impossible, unless you constructed some kind of so-called "big brother" surveillance system and put a gun to everyone's head to force them into it.
Captain
# 23
02-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamiyama317 View Post
What we might see if we ever develop faster than light space travel, is different cultures/races/religious groups starting their own colony somewhere else just for their own people. That would end up creating a truly unified world, with no other conflicting nations/cultures/races/religious groups living on it.
Like the Nietzscheans
Captain
# 24
02-24-2013, 08:45 AM
We have already made trek technology.
The flip type Mobile phones
Based on TOS communicators.

We have lasers which have the same power as Phasers

Warp drive may never be possible or not how trek portrays it.

Scientists have actually been able to transport a atom from one place to another so we are getting closer to transporters.

United Earth: I doubt we will see this in any of our lifetimes while there is greed we will never unite under the one flag and say we are human and if we did we would probably become like the terran empire.

Aliens: Although I doubt Vulcans exist I do believe we cannot b the only ones out there although whether life is humanoid or otherwise is debatable. But Aliens could get from us is knowledge although we will be violent and a bit xenophobic at first we may eventually begin to trust them or at least decieve them into thinking we trust them.

Me personally do not think the federation will exist but maybe a less militeristic version of the terran empire could exist.
Captain
# 25
02-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post

you want to prove something exists
make 1 lb of it in a jar
So your saying you don;t believe in oxygen as You can get a 1lb of it in a jar?
Career Officer
# 26
02-24-2013, 09:00 AM
I think it would be possible but not in Gene Roddenberry's vision. Humanity, as it stands today and likely to continue to be for another three - four hundred years is too warlike. I see it more like the Mirror Universe but not so black and white (i.e. Good vs. Evil kinda way).

I always liked that episode in ST Voyager where Janeway encounters that other Starfleet Science Vessel - the captain and remaining crew use aliens as a means of energy to advance their mission to get back to their own quadrant. You know the one I am talking about! That to me was likely the most realistic scenario ever in Star Trek. That is what humanity would be like I think.

Another good comparison: Firefly, Star Wars, Battle Star Galactica... all much more in keeping with human nature. That being said, however, I love Gene Roddenberry's vision and perhaps, one day, millions of years from now in a Galaxy far far away...
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Captain
# 27
02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
It always amazes me when people exclaim with certainty that certain things are impossible.
Science is still very much in it's infancy, we don't even begin know all of the questions yet let alone the answers to everything. Impossible is not a word that should be used so recklessly, many of the things we take for granted today were things that someone at some point said was impossible. What is impossible today may not be tomorrow so declarations that something is impossible is premature arrogant and ignorant.
Star Trek portrays a universe brightly filled with life that all share common traits with humanity enough that we can interact. The more likely reality is the universe is a dark foreboding place where life does exist but most often it is so radically different that we will rarely find common ground with it.
As long as greed, lust for power and xenophobia are driving forces for humanity, Earth will never have a unified government or if it does it will be a totalitarian one. It's a sad truth that the only thing that might unify humans would some common threat to the entire planet, remove that and humans will quickly fall back to petty infighting.
Star Trek is essentially a utopian fantasy, it's attraction is that humanity has moved beyond it's barbaric tendencies to unite and move out into a bright universe of like peoples. It's a bright message of hope for a future that I can't honestly believe humans will survive to achieve.
Captain
# 28
02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I think it's absolutely possible. Racism, sexism, and discrimination in general are becoming more and more discouraged. With the right kind of education in schools, and more space for us to spread out and appreciate the universe, we may yet grow out of our infancy and realize that our similarities more than outweigh our differences.

Just because things are bad now, doesn't mean they always will be. You know, "the night is darkest before the dawn" and all that.

As for technology? We'll get warp drive (or some other FTL tech) for sure; God knows we need it to go interstellar, and there are plenty of theories on how we could get around that cosmic speed limit. Replicators are pretty likely, but I don't know about transporters. I wouldn't use one, anyway.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 29
02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
It will happen when women take over the world.

Which might be happening coincidentally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Ensign
# 30
02-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
As for Earth, not unless the Book of Revelations plays out like it's supposed to.
This is off topic, but thank you. There is, indeed, such a thing as a Christian sci-fi fan and even (just ask C.S. Lewis) a work of Christian science fiction. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic but I choose to believe that not everyone in the far future will become an atheist.
"My home is not a place. It is people, sir."
- Aral Vorkosigan