Captain
# 41
02-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
science is of course a sort of religion in and of itself
Citation needed

Last edited by twg042370; 02-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 42
02-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Modern people often put absolute faith in science as they once did in various religions
Career Officer
# 43
02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
No we have NOT
No credible independant lab...
So CERN is not credible? You have now lost all credibility.
Captain
# 44
02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Modern people often put absolute faith in science as they once did in various religions
Citation needed.

Anyway... guys... I've "debated" folks like this online since the 300 baud modem. Don't bother. Unless you have a time machine and you go back in time to slap all of the adults in their lives who've educated them into someone who thinks these things your time will be wasted.

And since the forum rules forbid point and laughing you don't have that option as well.

Roll your eyes and move on before you go further down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by twg042370; 02-24-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Lieutenant
# 45
02-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
peer reviewed thoretical science in the pursuit of knowledge, and blind, brutally enforced theocracy for the retention of power and infulence, are not the same thing...anyway, im old enough and wise enough not to get drawn into an internet argument about religion. have fun everybody
Survivor of Romulus
# 46
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
So CERN is not credible? You have now lost all credibility.
Cern is not independant is it

it needs to be proven by someone who is trying to Disprove it

people never get this

if you have 50000 scientists PAID to look for blue unicorns you are going to get evidence of Blue unicorns
Captain
# 47
02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
You're feeding the troll, folks.

I think Peter David came up with the best response in his blog, based on an incident in the premiere episode of The Paper Chase, in which the professor dealt with one particular student by walking up to his seat, placing a sheet over him, and proceeding to utterly ignore him from that point on. Peter calls it "shrouding" - simply refuse to allow the nonsense perpetrated by the troll to penetrate your consciousness. You wind up not even trying to educate someone who does not wish to be educated, thus saving both of you untold amounts of stress.

As the old saying has it, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

On the topic of a United Earth - I don't think it'll happen the way Roddenberry envisioned it, certainly; his future history included WW3 happening, killing over six hundred million people, and then First Contact with Vulcan while the planet was still recovering. In that scenario, humanity pulling together with the example of Vulcan (and its rather violent history) seems more probable than it does in our universe.

If we were ever to have anything that might be regarded as a "world government", I think it might be more like a planet-sized Federation, where each member nation maintained its own form of government under the benevolent protection of the greater republic (not terribly unlike the Articles of Confederation under which the US first formed, but hopefully without the local loyalties causing the whole thing to break down in a few years).

I'd certainly rather see that than Jerry Pournelle's Co-Dominium, or any of the other rather dystopic one-world governments we've had such persuasive cautionary tales about...
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
NO.

Humans are not competent enough to operate in the high energy physics environment of Star Trek.

Space is not even a human conquerable environment because one mistake and they are dead, probably along with several others.

An example: Think of how cool a flying car would be....

Now imagine all those dumb@sses you see on the road everyday flying them around you.

Ruins it every time.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 49
02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Space is not even a human conquerable environment because one mistake and they are dead, probably along with several others.
Yeah, it's not like we managed to land six manned missions on the Moon, and bring one back alive even after a disaster en route, using 1960s technology.

Oh, wait...

(I could have gone with how long the ISS has been in operation, but its panic moments, while certainly dangerous for the crew, weren't quite so, well, dramatic as Apollo XIII.)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 50
02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Yeah, it's not like we managed to land six manned missions on the Moon, and bring one back alive even after a disaster en route, using 1960s technology.

Oh, wait...

(I could have gone with how long the ISS has been in operation, but its panic moments, while certainly dangerous for the crew, weren't quite so, well, dramatic as Apollo XIII.)
Our boys and girls in space, even as far away as the moon, enjoyed the protective embrace of the Earth's magnetosphere and were not fried by the solar radiation. Even then they get higher doses of it. And they can't live on the ISS without constant supplies being brought to them.

We're not separate from our biosphere like some seem to think when they get on this topic. Our survival in space requires replicating much of the environment we evolved in. That alone is cost prohibitive. Add to that the costs amd technology required of moving this mini planet we need (and that doesnt even get into the unlikliness we can even survive the biosphere of an alien planet) and space travel is realized to be the wishful thinking it is.

Now, I do think exploiting the resources of our solar system is a wise idea. We're really good at making machines to do this for us. But polital will is so short sighted and narrow focused, that won't happen either.

To sum up: We're going to die on this rock.