Lt. Commander
# 61
02-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Businessmen are not aliens. Politicians are not aliens.
They don't come from a distant planet to rule over us. They are humans as much as we are, and they are nothign but one face of what we, as human race, are.

The core of ST is the evolved human kind, and that will not happen, Im afraid, any century soon.
Captain
# 62
02-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm fine with private corporations investing in space, but I wouldn't want them governing things, with them in control, human beings become disposable commodities to be exploited in any way possible, a case in point is the old mining towns before they were abolished, the corporations owned everything and basically set everything up to keep workers in indentured servitude. Not the bright future I would hope for.
Career Officer
# 63
02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Want to see a candid view of our future, watch Idiocracy.

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Career Officer
# 64
02-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Without the Discipline of the 60's, demonstrated in TOS, the people have become weak.
You mean the same 60's famous for hippies and flower children?

Every era has its disciplined population and its non-disciplined. You can cherry-pick to say whatever you want.

I'm not familiar with the NASA event you described, but I think it would be interesting to know whether it was a group of interns and\or new engineers who were trying to dissect the Saturn V. I also wonder if 60's era engineers could dissect modern designs. I think that's a matter of training. I'm an engineer in my 30's and my boss who is in his 60's scoffs at any new technology and tries to push what he cut his teeth on.

As to the point of the thread, I think as far as Trek technology, it's mostly plausible though probably a millennium or two ahead of reality, at least for the big stuff. But, a lot of it depends on breakthrough discoveries which are by their nature unpredictable. So, there could be some major breakthrough in physics next week that could lead to warp drive or something similar within a decade, but statistically speaking, probably not.

As far as the humanistic aspects of Star Trek, I frankly don't buy it. There will always be unflattering aspects to humanity.

Porthos is not amused.

Last edited by collegepark2151; 02-25-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Lieutenant
# 65
02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
How can we even speak of a united planet when people cannot even tolerate other people's opinions about the possibility of it? Really? We resort to name calling and shutting someone out because they simply see things different, and have a different view of the science that is out there? This is the essence of tolerance, I suppose.

While science and technology has advanced very much in 30 years, society itself is failing, and without a structured society, science and the study of the universe around us will not continue to grow. In fact, we are pretty stagnant right now, even with our little discoveries here and there.

Too many "scientists" have decided to become religious with their work, instead of remaining the neutral observers that they are suppose to be. Our science is corrupted by politics now, and the inability to accept an opposing view. If you do not believe that, just look at the climate change debates. Both sides of this issue are corrupted.
True Scientists should debate and discuss issues, without trying to destroy, humiliate, and mock the opposing thought. However, these things have been going on for centuries. Sadly, it isn't being done by religion or big corporations, like Hollywood tries to make us believe. It is done by politics and scientists who forget their place as the neutral theorists and testers.

I am sorry to say, unless things change drastically soon, there will not be a societal ability to engage in such time consuming matters as science. Until science tries to stop presenting itself as the opposite of religion, it will only be a religion of itself.

I am sorry if this seems so grim. I am actually a pretty upbeat person. The negativity on this thread simply reminded me where science and society is actually at these days. Not a pretty picture to be sure.
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

"Maybe space is not the final frontier," - Luke Minhere
Career Officer
# 66
02-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
Depressingly, Idiocracy is looking more and more like a documentary.
----
Captain
# 67
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Im my opinion mostly if not everything good in star trek could happen and will happen. Some of the tech is already in exsistance plus others are on the way plus this ! http://gcn.com/blogs/emerging-tech/2...-possible.aspx , http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will...rst-warp-drive so the technology is on the way only a matter of time as for the United Earth hopefully this will happen soon. These days people do get on for the most part. Except for the elderly, some of them and the money grabbing people in the world who only wants to fill there pockets with cash instead of making the world a better place for everyone.
Captain
# 68
02-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Three things that always come to mind when discussing "utopian futures":

1) Money, while useful, is largely responsible for most of the world's problems.
2) Lots of jobs are being replaced by machines these days.
3) If I could spend my life doing something I enjoy for the benefit of humanity, without having to worry about putting food on my plate, I'd do it.

So why not combine them? Get rid of money altogether, and encourage people to do the jobs they want to do. Make food, housing, and the necessities of life available to all for free. We're approaching the level of technology where we don't really need to worry about dwindling resources: we can create plenty of food for all using genetics/cloning, and we can develop new methods of power and industrial processes that are renewable and don't harm the environment. The "unpleasant" jobs that nobody want to do can be done using robots and other machines.

The only real issue is space, which could be solved by either curbing population growth or creating colonies in the solar system.

We're probably a ways off from being able to do this, but hopefully it can happen soon.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Career Officer
# 69
02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirtthefirst View Post
Depressingly, Idiocracy is looking more and more like a documentary.
First off, Idiocracy is a comedy film, and anyone who tries to read into it for more than the cheap laughs it provides probably ought to cut back on their recreational drug use.

Second, there is no evidence to suggest that intelligence is hereditary, thus the premise is flawed.

Thirdly, stupid people are far more likely to off themselves a la the Darwin Awards and/or take up dangerous hobbies like BASE-jumping or dirt bike racing, and so balance is always maintained.

And finally, who are you gonna believe, Gene Roddenberry or Mike Judge?
Starfleet Veteran
# 70
02-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Three things that always come to mind when discussing "utopian futures":

1) Money, while useful, is largely responsible for most of the world's problems.
2) Lots of jobs are being replaced by machines these days.
3) If I could spend my life doing something I enjoy for the benefit of humanity, without having to worry about putting food on my plate, I'd do it.

So why not combine them? Get rid of money altogether, and encourage people to do the jobs they want to do. Make food, housing, and the necessities of life available to all for free. We're approaching the level of technology where we don't really need to worry about dwindling resources: we can create plenty of food for all using genetics/cloning, and we can develop new methods of power and industrial processes that are renewable and don't harm the environment. The "unpleasant" jobs that nobody want to do can be done using robots and other machines.

The only real issue is space, which could be solved by either curbing population growth or creating colonies in the solar system.

We're probably a ways off from being able to do this, but hopefully it can happen soon.
If the necessities of life are provided for free to everyone, no one would work. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

Also, I don't eat GMO foods. If you want to drink milk from goats that were spliced with spiders, go ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16554357