Lt. Commander
# 1 Flickering Shadows
04-27-2010, 10:12 AM
There were one or two threads on this, but i cant find them, never got bumped.

On the ground shadows are fine. However in space, when my ship is in motion, the shadows on it move like a flickering image. Looks like as if im flying beside a giant grating. This is encountered only on High and Med shadow settings, which i assume means that its an issue with dynamic shadowing, since Low is 'simple' shadowing.

Its been this way ever since launch, so I tink it might be just the game engine's limitation, but either way it looks pretty jarring when i watch. The shadows do not represent any object blocking the light source.

At the very least, I'd like to know if its meant to be like this, so i dont have to worry that there's some problem with my computer.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
What video card or cards? Post a screenshot or video.

Dave
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm having this same issue with ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB. Flickering shadows, some weird shadowing effects on ships and on ground some rooms that don't become visible until I enter them. I'll try to get a video or two generated for examples.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
My system is Vista 64bit with single Nvidia GTX 285, and driver version 197.45, which is the latest non-beta driver.

Im not on my gaming com right now, so i'll try and get pics with the shadows marked and a video by today (or your tmr, assuming your in the states)
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
the issues with the shadows i have had with my nvidia 9800gtx 1gb card as well drivers don't seem to make a difference.

altho i think its more of a lighting or loading issue on some of the maps with rooms. as ihave stood by a room where it nothing is light i just moved the camera angle a bit then everything appears fine and move the camera angle back to default its still fine after everything appears. this doesn't happen all the time either it appears to be happening at random.

with the ships i have noticed the weirdness mainly in asteroid fields it as if the light isn't being blocked by th eobjects correctly making the shadows have weird patterns to them on the hull like lines ans sometimes like the ship flying under a chain link fence the sun or light sources is shining thru versus an asteroid. basically casting a shadow of a different object than whats suppose to be is the best way to describe it. i don't get these effect all the time as they also seem to happen at random since launch .
Lt. Commander
# 6 Flickering Shadows
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
I see this all the time in space - GTX285, 196.21 driver, but I've seen this on every driver I've used.

As long as nothing's moving, no flicker. But as soon as the ship begins moving, flickers galore.

Here's a link to a FRAPS capture: Shadow Video

It's more evident on medium than on high quality shadows, but it's there on both. It's annoying enough that I usually run with shadows on low detail. I've seen this sort of thing in other 3D engines, so I thought it was just "the way things were." If it can be fixed, that'd be great.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I get this on pretty much every space station or ship (in mission ones, not Earth Spacedock or DS9, etc). I have a Nvidia 8600 GTS. I guess I'm the opposite, I get this on the ground, and never in space :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
I have two videos here, one is my tier 5 cruiser, one is my tier 1 light cruiser. I notice that the shadow 'ripple' rather than what i previously termed 'flicker' is less evident on smaller ships.

Video 1: http://www.filedropper.com/sto-shadowripple

Video 2: http://www.filedropper.com/sto-shadowripple2

I took screenshots, but i realized that you can't really pinpoint the shadows because they're static.

Thanks Dave, for looking into this. Let me know if there are problems with the videos.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I get the same issue here and it is more of a ripple of shadows over the ship almost as if light is passing through a nebula and causing the ripple on your ship.
Ati 5770 card here
latest cat 10.3 drivers
also with 10.4 beta drivers
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrypticDave
What video card or cards? Post a screenshot or video.

Dave
I have this issue running 3-way SLI on NVidia GTX 260's

I have also tried with just 1 card, still does it.

197.45 release drivers for windows 7 x64