Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 836
# 51
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagasensei View Post
After three years, the game STILL suffers from its extremely premature release... You can still see the scars. KDF starting at lvl 20, bad crafting, worse PvP etc.
To be fair that has almost as much to do with Atari as with the early release. So glad they are out of the picture.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 806
# 52
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reximuz View Post
To be fair that has almost as much to do with Atari as with the early release. So glad they are out of the picture.
Silence. Back to your grind. Marks and dilth are not going to accumulate by themselves.

If you are still lacking in joy, charge your Zen for great justice.


-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 716
# 53
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomeight View Post
It had everything to do with it. Both the game and the movie were supposed to drop at nearly the same time. They tie together, with JJ carrying on the new timeline a la "Back to the Future" style (seriously, the scene on the bridge in the movie is the Trek version of Doc Brown with a chalkboard while screaming at the top of his lungs about the time line skewing off on a tangent) and the game continuing on in the prime time line with Romulus destroyed.
Umm... no, actually it didn't. Cryptic had entire storylines and a general outline of where they were going to take the game...

...until just a month or two before the Abrams movie came out, and Cryptic was called to a meeting with CBS to be briefed about the changes Abrams was going to make that would affect the Prime Star Trek Universe (destruction of Romulus, disappearance of Spock). Cryptic not only had to put out a game by 2009 (I'm guessing beta counts close enough), but now they had to rewrite their story arcs as well as the background setting with only a few months left to go.

Raptr profile
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 54
02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I was not on the project at launch, and I never worked at Perpetual, but yes, my understanding is that Perpetual had a contract to put the game out by sometime in 2009. When it was obvious they were going belly up, CBS offered the license up for grabs, but under the condition that whoever picked it up had the same deadline that Perpetual always had. Of course we asked for extensions and such, and we did get a short extension, but that was it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...rnaround-time/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/sto/news...road-to-launch

My point is that while Perpetual made some beautiful concept art, there was no game there. People who talk about how great a hypothetical Perpetual version of STO would have been are fooling themselves. If Cryptic had not picked up STO where it lay, and carried it the short distance we were told, there would be no STO.
Don't take it personally when people say Perpetual had nice designs and concepts. I think most of us here are genuinely discussing concepts, not telling a Perpetual STO would have been wonderful, perfect, flawless, and so on. They had some interesting artwork. Some of the game concepts are very different from Cryptic's STO and also look interesting, nothing more.

None of us said "oh i want to see that in season 8 or 9", it's just that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. The current state of the game is what we could expect from a fully developped MMO though. Before season 7, it felt a bit empty. It's definitely not a bad game, even if game mechanics are very traditional. This might explain why people enjoy discussing stuff from Perpetual. It doesn't look traditional at all. Even if there was no game at the end of the day.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
# 55
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
it's just that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Actually, The grass is greener where its watered.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 972
# 56
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I was not on the project at launch, and I never worked at Perpetual, but yes, my understanding is that Perpetual had a contract to put the game out by sometime in 2009. When it was obvious they were going belly up, CBS offered the license up for grabs, but under the condition that whoever picked it up had the same deadline that Perpetual always had. Of course we asked for extensions and such, and we did get a short extension, but that was it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...rnaround-time/
http://www.tentonhammer.com/sto/news...road-to-launch

My point is that while Perpetual made some beautiful concept art, there was no game there. People who talk about how great a hypothetical Perpetual version of STO would have been are fooling themselves. If Cryptic had not picked up STO where it lay, and carried it the short distance we were told, there would be no STO.
And even if they did somehow release their version of STO, some of it wouldn't have been too different from what we got at launch anyway. Except, of course, space combat which was rumoured not to have been in at the beginning.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 PM.