Ensign
# 1 No KDF Ship Pack?
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
So I log on today because my friend told the new ship pack was released. I assumed it was the new KDF pack since federation already had 2 packs and KDF only had 1.......WOW was I surprised.

So now Feds have 3 packs and KDF only 1? How is that fair after KDF players waited patiently. I was one of those who assumed that we (KDF) would get our new ship pack next since feds just got the vesta.

I can't believe a game company would show this kind of blatant favoritism.
Rihannsu
# 2
02-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh4 View Post
So I log on today because my friend told the new ship pack was released. I assumed it was the new KDF pack since federation already had 2 packs and KDF only had 1.......WOW was I surprised.

So now Feds have 3 packs and KDF only 1? How is that fair after KDF players waited patiently. I was one of those who assumed that we (KDF) would get our new ship pack next since feds just got the vesta.

Feds are the majority, serving them content equals money, KDF is the minority, the same does not apply here.

Cryptic, when it comes to content, focuses on that which makes them money, Fed content.
Ensign
# 3
02-24-2013, 05:18 PM
I know thats why they did it. Does not mean its fair to the KDF players. It does mean though have lost the $50 I was gonna spend for a new KDF pack.
Republic Veteran
# 4
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:

They've openly admitted to losing money on KDF ships, why would they make ships that won't be sold?

Faction needs to be completed first. Until then, there are no points to new ships.
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||
Republic Veteran
# 5
02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I know thats why they did it. Does not mean its fair to the KDF players. It does mean though have lost the $50 I was gonna spend for a new KDF pack.
Yeah but they would need to sell enough of those $50 to actually cover the cost of making them. I simply don't think that's going to happen with the faction in its current state.
Commander
# 6
02-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Unfortunate but making a KDF fatpack doesn't pay out, the Bortasqu' didn't pay itself off last I knew.

Quote:
I take it you never played Blizzard's stuff?
Career Officer
# 7
02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
They've openly admitted to losing money on KDF ships, why would they make ships that won't be sold?

Faction needs to be completed first. Until then, there are no points to new ships.
I am highly skeptical of this, but if you have a quotation, please point it out.

If it takes 1000 man hours (or essentially one developer working on the ship for six months straight) to design a new ship, they only have to sell 500 of them at $50 a piece throughout the entire life of the game to recoup their costs if the artists are paid $25 an hour.

I have a hard time believing that throughout the life of the game they will not sell at least a few thousand of each KDF ship design.

I think it is far more likely that they prefer federation ships because they recoup the development cost and get a fair margin of profit within the first week of it going on sale whereas they might not even break even with KDF ships for months.
Captain
# 8
02-24-2013, 05:59 PM
One could also say that by making a truly desirable ship, people might come (back) to the KDF.

I suspect many people skipped the Bortasqu because it didn't measure up so well to existing cruisers than, and it sure doesn't now, after the introduction of the fleet ships. Bortasqu vs Torkaht is an easy choice, as far as I'm concerned, and I'll even go for the stock Negh'var or Vorcha, rather than that lump of metal... They designed a pack of very impressive and imposing battlecruisers, that one time, and then hit it with the turn rate of a defensive carrier.

A raptor or fortified BoP (pack) on the other hand, that would provide some nice alternatives to ship categories that aren't very well represented in the C-store as it is. Heck, any ship that isn't a battlecruiser or a carrier would probably surpass total Bortas sales in about a week...
Republic Veteran
# 9
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
I am highly skeptical of this, but if you have a quotation, please point it out.

If it takes 1000 man hours (or essentially one developer working on the ship for six months straight) to design a new ship, they only have to sell 500 of them at $50 a piece throughout the entire life of the game to recoup their costs if the artists are paid $25 an hour.

I have a hard time believing that throughout the life of the game they will not sell at least a few thousand of each KDF ship design.

I think it is far more likely that they prefer federation ships because they recoup the development cost and get a fair margin of profit within the first week of it going on sale whereas they might not even break even with KDF ships for months.
I think it was Dan Stahl, and I think it was either a post or an interview. I know the truth, I know what I saw. You don't want to believe me? Go find it yourself, it's there.
Career Officer
# 10
02-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I think it was Dan Stahl, and I think it was either a post or an interview. I know the truth, I know what I saw. You don't want to believe me? Go find it yourself, it's there.
Sorry, but the scientific evidence shows that human memory is incredibly unreliable. Can you provide a citation?