Survivor of Romulus
# 11
02-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f9thaceshigh View Post
It is extremely unlikely that you will ever see any Legacy, Armada, SFC, BC, SFB or FASA ships in STO. It's not CBS they have to deal with, but the producers/publishers of the other games.
Dsthall said ships from other games were tricky as they needed approval from cbs. So if they can get the vesta then anything is possible. Id say get shipss from invvasion, legacy and sfc 1 n 2
Career Officer
# 12
02-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekvin View Post
Dsthall said ships from other games were tricky as they needed approval from cbs. So if they can get the vesta then anything is possible. Id say get shipss from invvasion, legacy and sfc 1 n 2
Remember, it took them over a year to get the Vesta, and that was just one ship.
Also not everything they want to get, they can.
They couldn't get the Kzinti for example.

SFC would be a completely different beast as well.
While the game was made by Interplay, little in it was actually invented by Interplay.
Most of it was actually Star Fleet Battles with different models.
And the license for SFB is still held by Amarillo Design Bureau.
ADB only made this move because those folks are not allowed to make computer games based on their material themselves.
And their material is not even considered to exist in the Star Trek universe by ADB itself.
So the question here would be:
Even if CBS has anything to say about their material, does CBS want material in a Star Trek game, that is not even considered to be part of Star Trek by its own creators?

We might have better luck with Starfleet and Klingon Academy.
Even though the latter shares a lot of models with the SFC line, it's actually not tied to another company.
Career Officer
# 13
02-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekvin View Post
also, remember that the vesta was in a book.. that is completely different than cryptic and cbs trying to get a gaming company that is a competitor to hand the rights over.. the vesta sheds no comparison on this argument..

we probably wont see many ships from other games, think of it as ford letting chevy build and sell ford cars and make a profit off it.. not gonna happen..
Captain
# 14
02-25-2013, 07:16 AM
If we're really going to push for ships from other games, then I want to fly either the ship in Galaga. Or a Tie Fighter.
Community Moderator
# 15
02-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Legacy was published by Bethesda. Bethesda is currently making an MMORPG that will be in direct competition with Neverwinter. I don't think they're going to be interested in licensing anything to Cryptic, and Cryptic wouldn't have much to gain by licensing their ships; the game tanked, even among Trek fans.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Rihannsu
# 16
02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
I think a far better idea would be more fan competitions like the 'Design the next Enterprise' one.

There are some very talented people out there like Mad Koi Fish and DJ Curtis and I would love to see some of their work in STO.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Career Officer
# 17
02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamstrike View Post
I think a far better idea would be more fan competitions like the 'Design the next Enterprise' one.

There are some very talented people out there like Mad Koi Fish and DJ Curtis and I would love to see some of their work in STO.
Well, there are several problems there.
Among them that only Americans are allowed to participate.
And we saw the last time around how that ended: there were actually people who turned the ship designs of people who happened to be from the wrong part of the world in as their own in hopes of winning the contest.

There was also quite a flame war when some people felt the "wrong" ship won the contest and their personal favourite didn't (not neccessarily their own design).

Those were some of the reasons that were given to us why there was no comparable contest for the Klingon counterpart and my guess is there's not enough interest on CBS' of Cryptic's part to repeat this.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
02-25-2013, 09:11 AM
I would very , very much prefer to have one strong attack per facing, that would bring the ships back in line with the shows and movies.

The Ent D would fire bursts from one spot, preferable with the charge up animation,
The defiant would use its (quad) cannons
Klingon ships would fire from the wing mounted disruptors...

you did not see ships fireing huge spreads of random energy beams/types at thier foes, other than a fire at will situation, which we have in the form of BOFF powers.

Its too late, they need to sell the andorian ships, blah blah blah, but single beams/weapons and torp slots would be far, far better, if this game had put thoguht into it pre launch., not to mention that combat would be far easier to balance, and old ships would not be instantly useless when you lvl up, but no they need to sell fleet ships...
Career Officer
# 19
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
I'd rather see ground more like ST Elite Force.

Leave space combat as is with the exception of being able to first disable and than destroy subsystems. Also give bonus rewards for keeping the ship alive when the mission is finished.

Change the way the Threat Skill works so that training into it reduces threat gained, not increases it and have it give a defensive penalty instead of a bonus.

Tie space based skills to the ship, not the player.

I doubt many will agree with my thoughts on space, but I think a lot of members would like the ground.
Survivor of Remus
# 20
02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
There's no reason why they SHOULD only fire a single torp or a single beam weapon. There's no need for that and it makes model design far more complex, involving more time and expense. It also puts a great deal of limitation on what the player can equip on their ship. Lastly, there is canonical precedent for the current short-burst from individual banks.

Don't believe me? Let''s take a look at what would be required and ask ourselves if we want that or bug fixes, new, ships, new content, and the rest of the stuff that makes the game fun to play.

1) Every single star ship would need its own set of beam array models or texture overlays. They would need multiple models for each beam type and for level of detail. Many star ships would need multiple sets of models as their costume pieces don't allow for a single line-wide set.

2) The game engine would need to be altered to keep track of and transmit what models go where on the ship so that they properly render on all player and NPC vessels in the game. This isn't quick or easy.

3) The game engine would require further alteration so that it could figure out how to handle a ship with multiple beam types. Do the USS Rainbow Warrior's multi-colored beam arrays all fire individual beams or do they somehow link up and fire one multi-colored beam? This is, arguably, even more wok.

4) You'd have to repeat all that work for cannons while you were at it.

In the end, this ain't Legacy. Legacy didn't allow for a great deal of user customization of its vessels, so there was never any need to consider anything beyond making the ships behave exactly as their on-screen counterparts did. Their Galaxy was never going to come equipped with 180 degree turrets or a borg cutting beam. The Defiant was never going to come with dual beams and tricobalt torpedoes. These changes would require a great deal of extra work the vast majority of the customer base wouldn't notice or care about.