Commander
# 21
02-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Legacy was published by Bethesda. Bethesda is currently making an MMORPG that will be in direct competition with Neverwinter. I don't think they're going to be interested in licensing anything to Cryptic, and Cryptic wouldn't have much to gain by licensing their ships; the game tanked, even among Trek fans.
If you are talking about TESO, it isn't even close to being in direct competition. It's a AAA highly anticipated release of a sandbox MMO (from what we can tell) based on (and still somewhat resembling) a HIGHLY beloved game IP. The most that could be said for Neverwinter is that it shares the same name as a great line of RPGs, and is loosely related to DnD lore. It's F2P, and also isn't anywhere near as anticipated.

The two are in entirely different realms.

If you are talking about some other MMO Bethesda is developing that I don't know about, then carry on like nothing happened.

Anyway I highly doubt that would matter at all to Bethesda when deciding whether or not to license ships from a game nobody really bought. What they have to gain is the money they get, basically for nothing, in exchange for the license. It's free money thay put zero effort into getting. Why wouldn't they? It's not like they are going to have some ships from Legacy do flybys in TESO...(Maybe fallout 4?)
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Captain
# 22
02-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
There's no reason why they SHOULD only fire a single torp or a single beam weapon. There's no need for that and it makes model design far more complex, involving more time and expense. It also puts a great deal of limitation on what the player can equip on their ship. Lastly, there is canonical precedent for the current short-burst from individual banks.

Don't believe me? Let''s take a look at what would be required and ask ourselves if we want that or bug fixes, new, ships, new content, and the rest of the stuff that makes the game fun to play.

1) Every single star ship would need its own set of beam array models or texture overlays. They would need multiple models for each beam type and for level of detail. Many star ships would need multiple sets of models as their costume pieces don't allow for a single line-wide set.

2) The game engine would need to be altered to keep track of and transmit what models go where on the ship so that they properly render on all player and NPC vessels in the game. This isn't quick or easy.

3) The game engine would require further alteration so that it could figure out how to handle a ship with multiple beam types. Do the USS Rainbow Warrior's multi-colored beam arrays all fire individual beams or do they somehow link up and fire one multi-colored beam? This is, arguably, even more wok.

4) You'd have to repeat all that work for cannons while you were at it.

In the end, this ain't Legacy. Legacy didn't allow for a great deal of user customization of its vessels, so there was never any need to consider anything beyond making the ships behave exactly as their on-screen counterparts did. Their Galaxy was never going to come equipped with 180 degree turrets or a borg cutting beam. The Defiant was never going to come with dual beams and tricobalt torpedoes. These changes would require a great deal of extra work the vast majority of the customer base wouldn't notice or care about.
Actually, if they just removed all the beams but one from the current animations and called it a day, that would make a lot of people happy and look far close to combat in the shows.
Career Officer
# 23
02-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Actually, if they just removed all the beams but one from the current animations and called it a day, that would make a lot of people happy and look far close to combat in the shows.
People really need to stop wanting everything to be like the shows. Everything we see was done due to budgetary/time/resource constraints.

Battles were short due to time constraints.

Pre-CGI weapons were the way they were do to more constraints.

Heck, in DS9 we see a Galaxy firing more than one beam (3 actually) from its foward array during the attempt to retake DS9. So, do we pick and choose which shows to follow?
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 24
02-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
The two are in entirely different realms.
Fantasy MMORPGs are the same realm, same market demographic. Granted, the "competition" portion of them being in competition heavily favors the developer with more money. But they are still in direct competition for the same gamer segment. People who play EA's FIFA Soccer won't be buying either game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
02-25-2013, 11:21 AM
No ... keep STO the same... BUT

GET THE MUSIC FROM LEGACY!!! NOW PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Legacy Music to STO

got that DEVs (Sorry If I offended you)
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Lieutenant
# 26
02-25-2013, 11:25 AM
It would be nice to see a damage model like legacy, with chunks coming off, and weapon impacts from real weapon hit locations. Also like bridge commander's real weapon damage.
Commander
# 27
02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Fantasy MMORPGs are the same realm, same market demographic. Granted, the "competition" portion of them being in competition heavily favors the developer with more money. But they are still in direct competition for the same gamer segment. People who play EA's FIFA Soccer won't be buying either game.
That's true about FIFA, but my point is that actually they are NOT competing for the same gamer. The market demographic is entirely different. Also because of Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfal, and TES1, a LOT of people who ordinarily don't play MMOs are going to check out TESO. Not true for Neverwinter. Oh and TESO is a sandbox, which no PWE game ever was or will be.

It's like saying that an Aston Martin is in direct competition with acura for customers. Or if you prefer to go down the market more, it's like saying that a BMW or Mercedes is in direct competition with ford or honda for customers. They do make similar products, product classes, etc. But they just don't compare or compete.

Edit: Oh, and Bethesda versus Cryptic? Please...
__________________________________________________ __
Pay no attention to the dates and titles under my name at the left! I am a Career Officer, Lifetime Sub since launch, was in the Beta. Having problems with my forum account.
Community Moderator
# 28
02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
It's like saying that an Aston Martin is in direct competition with acura for customers.
Indeed it is; and Aston Martin won't license things to Acura that would lesson their perceived competitive advantages, because they're both selling luxury cars, and thus have huge demographic overlap.

The fact that an Aston Martin is much more expensive to produce and sells for a higher price doesn't change the fact that Aston Martin wants people who are looking for a luxury car to buy their product, and Acura wants them to buy THEIR product.

It's a lot like Aston Martin during the years Ford owned them; they viewed Aston Martin owners as more likely to buy Fords for their non-luxury cars, and Honda viewed Acura owners and more likely to buy Hondas for their non-luxury cars. Bethesda won't want to license something that could make people more likely to go to PWE for their non-fantasy MMO needs, because it presumably creates emotional investment (especially due to Cryptic's chat system) in Neverwinter.

Further, MMO gamers are not made of infinite money, so anything that encourages them to spend money in Star Trek Online discourages them from spending that same money in TESO. They would only do this if they thought they'd make more money from the licensing than they'd lose from the market, and that wouldn't happen because PWE isn't going to pay more for the license per user than they'd make from the increased users...
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 29
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
People really need to stop wanting everything to be like the shows. Everything we see was done due to budgetary/time/resource constraints.

Battles were short due to time constraints.

Pre-CGI weapons were the way they were do to more constraints.

Heck, in DS9 we see a Galaxy firing more than one beam (3 actually) from its foward array during the attempt to retake DS9. So, do we pick and choose which shows to follow?
We did see ships firing more that one beam at a time on occasion; but it was highly situational, and would be more than adequately represented in STO by Beam Array Fire at Will. So no choosing would be required, really.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 30
02-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
We did see ships firing more that one beam at a time on occasion; but it was highly situational...
No it wasn't. The above battle I sighted the Galaxy fired all of its beams at one Galor. No different than what we have now.

And logically speaking, if an enemy is in range and positioning of my saucer, dorsal, and strut arrays and I have the power, I'm not limiting myself to one shot from one array.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 02-25-2013 at 01:30 PM.