Captain
# 41
02-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
No it wasn't. The above battle I sighted the Galaxy fired all of its beams at one Galor. No different than what we have now.

And logically speaking, if an enemy is in range and positioning of my saucer, dorsal, and strut arrays and I have the power, I'm not limiting myself to one shot from one array.
It's two different Galaxy class ships blasting a single Galor. The shots come in very quickly, but it's quite easy to see them firing in sequence (first one, then the other)

Quote:
That had nothing to do with draining the phasers specifically and everyting to do with the Scimitar pounding the crap out of the Enterprise.
Incorrect. Picard flat out asks Geordi if they could focus all available phaser power in a single burst, to which the answer was "it would make no difference".

Last edited by stirling191; 02-26-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 42
02-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
It's two different Galaxy class ships blasting a single Galor. The shots come in very quickly, but it's quite easy to see them firing in sequence (first one, then the other).
Nope. Watch at 6:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWZ5B3F94Q

Clearly the first Galaxy is firing multiple beams from multiple locations on its array

Quote:
Incorrect. Picard flat out asks Geordi if they could focus all available phaser power in a single burst, to which the answer was "it would make no difference".
And that has what to do with the Enterprise getting the crap pounded out of it?
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Captain
# 43
02-26-2013, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Nope. Watch at 6:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWZ5B3F94Q

Clearly the first Galaxy is firing multiple beams from multiple locations on its array
I stand corrected, but it's only two (the argument could easily be made it's creative use of a modified dual beam bank, but I don't personally adhere to that). That's a far cry from the six, seven or even eight you can set off in-game.

Quote:
And that has what to do with the Enterprise getting the crap pounded out of it?
Considering you're making the argument that damage to the Enterprise's weapons was the deciding factor in Picard's decision to ram the Scimitar, everything. Weapons were very much still online, just depleted by overuse (phaser banks down to a pitiful level, torpedoes expended etc). If battle damage was the pertinent factor they would have been non-functional, not useless.

Last edited by stirling191; 02-26-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Career Officer
# 44
02-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Quote:
I stand corrected, but it's only two (the argument could easily be made it's creative use of a modified dual beam bank, but I don't personally adhere to that). That's a far cry from the six, seven or even eight you can set off in-game..
I see nothing wrong with the six, seven, or eight that can be fired in game.

Quote:
Considering you're making the argument that damage to the Enterprise's weapons was the deciding factor in Picard's decision to ram the Scimitar, everything. Weapons were very much still online, just depleted by overuse (phaser banks down to a pitiful level, torpedoes expended etc). If battle damage was the pertinent factor they would have been non-functional, not useless.
In all fairness all Geordi said was "it wouldn't make a difference." He never mentioned why it wouldn't make a difference. Damage to the weapons could still be a factor. We don't know just how many emitters were functioning on the arrays.

My whole argument has really been power and fire arc. As I said in a previous post, if my saucer, dorsal, and strut arrays have a line of sight to the enemy and I have the power, I'm letting loose. I see no need to limit the potential firepower of a ship simply because most of the time on a TV show ships only fired one beam.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS
Career Officer
# 45
02-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekvin View Post
1 or 2 of the designs from SFC have appeared in other ST Games such as legacy, Shattered Universe and ST Tactical assault.

'edit'

The Apollo Class appeared in SFC 1, SFC 2, Star trek Shattered universe and Star trek legacy.
This is the ship that appeared in Starfleet Command (Labeled USS Akula on the model):

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../USS_Akula.jpg

This is the ship that appeared in "Legacy":

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ollo_Class.jpg

They are similar "kitbashes" but they are not identical.
Survivor of Romulus
# 46
02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Yep that's the ship.
Captain
# 47
02-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Quote:
In all fairness all Geordi said was "it wouldn't make a difference." He never mentioned why it wouldn't make a difference. Damage to the weapons could still be a factor. We don't know just how many emitters were functioning on the arrays.
As a matter of fact, he did say why. The Scimitar's shields were still at well over 60 percent (68% I believe, but I'd have to go back and check the clip) despite taking fire from both Romulan Warbirds and the Enterprise. The latter's phaser arrays were more than capable of firing, but it wouldn't have done any good. Thus the call for ramming speed.
Community Moderator
# 48
02-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblindmonks View Post
TESO and STO/Neverwinter do not occupy the same market niche.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. However, it's moot anyway; PWE isn't going to pay somebody else to license designs from a game that tanked, when they can instead license functionally equivalent designs from fans and/or create their own. If the game had been a massive success, that might make sense; but it wasn't.

Many fans want canon ships. Many fans want certain specific non-canon ships from artists who designed canon ships. Only a tiny subsegment of fans want non-canon ships from games that were roundly panned by critics and had abysmal sales. The game only sold 150k copies; even if you assume 100% of those people play STO, the vast majority of STO players have never seen the game, and it's highly unlikely that all of those people play STO. Why pay another company a licensing fee for a ship nobody's seen, when you can build your own ship nobody's seen for less? Or even better, make a ship that was on screen for a few seconds, under a license you already paid?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Captain
# 49
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Not quite right.
Taldren made SFC2, Orion Pirates and SFC3.
Interplay was both developer and publisher of the first SFC.
Given that SFC2 and OP were mostly full-price addons I'm not sure they did that much.

Also, ADB makes several tabletops, an RPG and a cardgame.

And as I already stated, they'd LIKE to make a PC game but they're not allowed to.
The cooperation with Interplay was the only way to get around that.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Battles

"Because of the game's extensive revisions and high-degree of playability, much of the material from the Star Fleet Battles universe was incorporated into video games by Interplay, such as Star Trek: Starfleet Command and Star Trek: Klingon Academy. These games were licensed by Paramount and therefore were allowed to feature situations during the Star Trek movie era. Amarillo Design Bureau's partial license has prohibited them from producing computer games based on their own material and previously published board games, however this has been disputed in the past and is still being contested by legal means. "
Taldren made all SFC games as they aka 13degrees east.Interplay was not really the developer.

ADB has not interset in making a pc game to the best of my knowlege as I know a lot of SFB fans and played SFC with them.I was on Taldren forums back in 04 ..

Starfleet and Klingon Academy have nothing to do with ADB.You are just grasping at straws here.

don't agrue with me as I have been a member of the community for long time now not to mention I am an Admin read my sig.
@kekvin

None of the SFC games appeared in Legacey or TA.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers

Last edited by age03; 02-26-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Captain
# 50
02-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus304 View Post
So anyone else wish the combat schemes for space were like Star Trek: Legacy?

the single beam, photon/quantum reloading, controlling bursts of weapons etc.
PLEASE, YES, YES, YES!!!

and wishing that some of the ships from ST:Legacy were in STO?
Well, not really...

Also, when DStahl said he would like to incorporate our garaged ships like our boffs, anyone else think of the ST:Legacy team control and such?
Please not, space combat is alright as it is. Unlike ground combat, which is way to hectic and chaotic for my taste.
tenchars10101010

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

The "TT and/or AtB less builds" - Thread