Lt. Commander
Apparently, all of the sfx have been updated. So, for anyone who has the original episodes keep those. Because this release has went the way of the re-release of Star Wars. I don't know how I feel about this. I'll see.

Last edited by roman1229; 02-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah they had no choice because they had to go back to the original film to grab the HD footage. The effects are an overlay applied afterwards in SD, so they had to be redone from scratch in HD.

The footage I have seen on www.startrek.com look amazing (where they compare before and after - Encounter At farpoint special effects). I'm waiting until all seasons are done before I buy them.

Yes I have a few box sets ... image
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net

Last edited by jkstocbr; 02-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Empire Veteran
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
02-23-2013, 10:09 PM
The only way they could make me more excited to get these is if they were wide screen
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 5
02-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roman1229 View Post
Apparently, all of the sfx have been updated. So, for anyone who has the original episodes keep those. Because this release has went the way of the re-release of Star Wars. I don't know how I feel about this. I'll see.
So? New effects = great.

Why do people fear change?
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
So? New effects = great.

Why do people fear change?
I posted this for those ST fans who get hostile if anything is changed, just to let them know.

OK?
Rihannsu
# 7
02-24-2013, 08:00 AM
This was forced on them by the nature of the original footage, but this is nothing like Lucas. He takes a shot and adds stuff, turns stuf around, makes all kind of changes.

These are the same they are just improved. there are minor differences in the details, ship sizing and position but its pretty much what appeared before. unless you sit there and compare them side to side most people wont even realise they have been changed (other than the high quality which looks amazing.)

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Rihannsu
# 8
02-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I got to see two episodes of Season 2 on the big screen and don't worry, it's not like what they did with Star Wars. Other than cleaning up the image and removing some errors (like set lights/booms in frame or the black cardboard on the back of the bridge) the only thing newly done is the Phaser beams, transporters etc and that is virtually a carbon copy of what was originally done. They had to do it because the original work doesn't exist except on the final product that was aired, TNG was filmed on 35mm but edited and aired on 16mm tape. The remastering team went back to the original 35mm film and used that, so they couldn't use the 16mm SFX footage because it would look horrible on HD thus had to remake it.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 9
02-25-2013, 06:03 AM
So long as they didn't change who shoots first, I really don't see a problem.

Kind of reminds me of the brouhaha when Lucas went back and remastered the footage for the Special Editions (taking old, decaying film stock and digitizing it). Let's face it, celluloid film doesn't keep all that well.

Last edited by stirling191; 02-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
02-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Aside from a few cheesy shots, the new effects were NOT the issue with the special edition. Altering the sequence of events, adding deleted scenes that ended up being nonsensical in the context of later films, and changing the context of character actions was.

Last edited by hevach; 02-25-2013 at 06:59 AM.