Lt. Commander
# 1 Did STO kill my PC?
01-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Hey everyone

Patched last night, woke up, chatted to a friend online, started to download yet another patch...

And in the middle of the download my computer blacked out, and started to beep continuesly.

It does this everytime I put power to it, just beeping and nothing else

I called geek squad and they have ordered me a new gfx card and motherboard

Why would STO do this to my computer?

Any ideas, anyone?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 06:06 AM
It's highly unlikely that STO itself 'killed' your PC. More likely is that one part has failed at a bad time, and that you're just going to have to wait and see if the new parts fix it. How old is the PC in question?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyman2480 View Post
Hey everyone

Patched last night, woke up, chatted to a friend online, started to download yet another patch...

And in the middle of the download my computer blacked out, and started to beep continuesly.

It does this everytime I put power to it, just beeping and nothing else

I called geek squad and they have ordered me a new gfx card and motherboard

Why would STO do this to my computer?

Any ideas, anyone?
What were teh timing of the beeps? 1 short, 2 long? 2 long 1 short etc. Beeps are programmed by your mobo/bios to alert you to a problem. Having a terrible tech support group like geek squad telling you, you need to buy a new mobo and gcard is just wrong. Theyre probably getting commission on top of that too.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
The only time I have had a fault the same as yours was with a bad RAM stick,the same beeping and nothing else,seems a bit strange they ordered you the new card and mother board without testing it...but then again I suppose they know more than me...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 06:10 AM
I think Neocron "killed" my old laptop But it was dodgy anyway so my guess your pc had an untimely seizure.
If you're tech savvy you can check the 3d card in another pc etc.

It does seem a bit weird that they just ordered parts without checking first..
Lt. Commander
# 6
The machine is only a year and half old, and still very much under warrenty, or I would be really cross right now. :p

I recall someone having a problem like this on the beta forums... but they could at least boot to safe mode... this won't even load to bios so I'm really at a loss as to what happened, it surprised the geek squad guy too...

He thought it was a software problem at first.
Lt. Commander
# 7
You could try taking out your RAM and trying them to see if 1 is faulty,or run a memtest on them,all it costs you is time,if the RAM is the problem then you just saved some cash.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Unfortunately Laddy that does sound like a hardware problem. If it's a constant beep.. could be video, MB, CPU that's what I'd look at first... the geeks are probably right in their assessment with a MB and a VIdeo card. However just installing software isn't going to "kill" your PC ... It was just its time.

In the the mean time you could try reseating your cards and ram just to see if maybe something worked a little loose and is causing a short.

Good Luck
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Also the beep is a long string of beeps close together like

Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep

Hard drive sounds like it spins up and the CPU fan and the gtx fan spin up

But no motherboard load screen like usual

Just black screen and beeping... what fun
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM
How many sticks of RAM do you use?

Try taking out 1 at a time and try to boot up,if the same replace that stick and try another,like I said it could be RAM and only takes a few mins to check this way.