Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 21
02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
No. Tell Cryptic to cease their outrageously exploitive, player-hating BS by not getting a Bug. If you tell them it's okay to play these games, they will play them over and over and over.
100% Agreed,

If we give into this type of double dipping nonsense it will be with us forever here in STO

Think about it guys:

Besides the Recluse and the Dreanought every other Carrier that's in game has been given all of it's specific Hanger options for EC from the Shipyard vendors (rare) or Dilithium from the D-Store (very rare)

Vo'Quv was given both the To'Duj Fighters and The Bird of Prey.

Kar'Fi was given both the S'kul Fighters and the Fek'Ihri Frigate.

Atrox was given both the Peregrine Fighters and the Stalker Fighters

Recluse only has Rare Widow Fighers and no Frigate class option

Dreanought was given the Jem'Hadar Fighters and has an option for the Attack Ships that is being gated behind needing to own the Bug ship and thats way wrong.

I could see if by owning the Bug ship you can buy Hanger Bug ships that could be used with every full carrier that you own (Account wide) but the Hanger Bugs can only be used with the Dreadnought Carrier.

If we just role over and say that this move by Cryptic is ok then going foward every new Carrier is going to have its hanger options that can only be used with it gated in some shape or form instead of being something that was given with the Carrier.

Once we accept it it sets a precedent.

Once it becomes a precedent it becomes norm.

Once it becomes the norm it opens the doorway to try something like it with other items in the game.

This move by Cryptic can not be aloud to go unchallenged, it cannot be aloud to become the norm.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 22
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
If this were a bundle in the Z-store where each ship had a fair price and they were easy to buy, and there was a bonus for having both of them, I would consider your argument valid.
Pfft. Fair price is in the eye of the beholder, and your personal threshold for payment in no way invalidates my argument. It has NOTHING to do with your mistaken and frankly selfish assumption that YOUR standard for what's worth buying MUST be the standard by which all players must conform.

If you think it's a rip-off, that's your prerogative. I personally do, myself. But if it's making Cryptic enough money and the people who buy it (the informed ones at least, not the dumb ones) happy, then there's nothing to "fix".

To use the overused internet taunt, cry some more.

Also, it's the C-store. Get it right.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 488
# 23
02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Is anyone else just ignoring the guy who is needlessly defending Cryptic on this?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 411
# 24
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Is anyone else just ignoring the guy who is needlessly defending Cryptic on this?
Anyone who disagrees with you is a corporate sockpuppet. All contrary opinions must be ignored until the echo-chamber is complete.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 25
02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millimidget View Post
Is anyone else just ignoring the guy who is needlessly defending Cryptic on this?
I ignore no one that offers a valid argument
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 26
02-25-2013, 10:42 PM
This entire thread and the one it duplicated is a hilarious circus of the worst symptoms of entitlement culture.

Do none of you comprehend the meaning of "optional"? Can none of you devote the minuscule amount of time and brainpower necessary to suss out a developer's intention? I have to wonder if some of the insanely butthurt players in these threads are even literate.

Were you complaining that it was an unfair ripoff that the Dominion Synergy Bonus from the Jem Space Set only works on the Bug? Is it an insane cash-grab when the Assimilated Tractor Beam only works if you equip ALL the pieces of the Borg Set? Did you baby-wail when you realized that you had to buy/roll all THREE pieces of a Space Set to benefit from the 3-piece bonus? THAT'S what your arguments are, basically!

If the ONLY reason you bought a dreadnought was to use Bug Pets with, when Cryptic CLEARLY intended for the bonus to be exactly that, a BONUS for owners of the playable Bug (and maybe a value-add for Bug Owners that want a carrier, or for the next Bug re-release), then that is YOUR problem, not Cryptic's.

If the ONLY thing you valued about the Jem Dread was that bonus, that is YOUR problem (and I pity you for it), not Cryptic's! You've bought a sports car for the fancy keychain, then complained that you had to buy a sports car to get it!

Should the Bug be cheaper or a C-store item? Yes. Should the Jammie pets be unlocked at the start? Maybe, a carrier feds can use that rocks Frigate-pets would be sweet (even if the Klinks would complain about losing a unique aspect). Am I entitled to it? NO.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 27
02-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
You've bought a sports car for the fancy keychain, then complained that you had to buy a sports car to get it!

No. A more accurate analogy: We bought a sports car with a missing radio. The radio comes as a bonus for buying a road grader.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 236
# 28
02-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
The problem here is that you're assuming the ONLY reason to buy a Jammie Dread is the ability to use Bugs as Hangar Pets.
Actually it was. I was also going to get the Jem'Hadar Heavy Escort Carrier just for the useless console set but that's just going to encourage them to add more of the same.

Why people wanted Quad Cannons so much? Why people waste money on Galaxy-R? Why people wanted retrofits of low tier ships? Why people wanted Mirror Universe ships with I.S.S. prefix? Think about it.

Quote:
This entire thread and the one it duplicated is a hilarious circus of the worst symptoms of entitlement culture.
Yes, I've watched that certain "news" channel too.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 961
# 29
02-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
No. A more accurate analogy: We bought a sports car with a missing radio. The radio comes as a bonus for buying a road grader.
Wrong. The radio was never "missing", because the fact that the radio purchase was linked to the road grader was listed right in the brochure!

And who buys a sports car for its radio?! No one in his or her right mind, that's for sure.

Actually, here're more analogies: You bought a sports car for the bikini model standing next to it at the auto show and started whinging when you found out she wanted to be paid for her time. It's like staying at a fancy hotel and calling it a ripoff because they charge extra for candy from the mini-fridge (when the separate charges are clearly labeled in the brochures).

It's your right to buy ships for a single reason, but that doesn't make your priorities smart or your complaints automatically reasonable.

Quote:
Why people wanted Quad Cannons so much? Why people waste money on Galaxy-R? Why people wanted retrofits of low tier ships? Why people wanted Mirror Universe ships with I.S.S. prefix? Think about it.
Again you miss the point and assume there is ONE, and only ONE valid reason to buy any given ship. If the Quad Cannons were the ONLY thing you wanted a Sao Paolo for, that's YOUR problem. I enjoyed the Sao Paolo skin, as well.

Furthermore, people want Retrofits of lowbie ships because they want to play them at high tier. That's a HUGE reason for buying a Retrofit, and a FAR more substantial one than buying them for a tiny fine print bonus that you couldn't be bothered to actually read up on. Buying a Retrofit is EXACTLY the same as buying a sports car for being a sports car that goes fast and is a finely engineered piece of machinery. There's no "gimmick" about a T5 retrofit or whatever.

Plus, Mirror Universe ships ALSO get the prefix, the skin, and the CLASS SWAP. Again, SIGNIFICANT reasons for buying, and not "gimmicks" in any way.

Frankly, you've only bolstered my case with your "counterexamples".

Threads like this are the reason many devs ignore (or have begun to ignore) their forums.

Last edited by unangbangkay; 02-26-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,474
# 30
02-26-2013, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
Actually, here's another analogy: You bought a sports car for the bikini model standing next to it at the auto show and started whinging when you found out she wanted to be paid for her time.
Flaw zero:
Most people upset about this were not deceived or mistaken. They knew that they wouldn't get the bug ship pet.

Flaw one:
Bikini models have a variety of possible usage scenarios besides riding in the specific car you bought. The attack ship pet does not. It is an item with only one possible use in one possible product, that does not come as an accessory to that product.

Flaw two:
Hangar pet options enhance the performance, not the appearance, of the dreadnaught carrier. The flexibility of hangar bays is one of the primary reasons to use a carrier in the first place.

Flaw three:
You don't even have permission to buy (not "get for free", buy) this unique accessory until you get something else that's fabulously rare, fabulously expensive, and totally unrelated. The bug pet costs 30K dil. I'd pay it. The completely unnecessary flyable bug is the problem.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.