Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
^Good post!

I mentioned DX11 because this game already uses it! Granted, I'm not sure how much work is going into it, and you have to select it under "Toubleshooting" in the options menu. I'd like to see them do more with it. I also realize the importance of this game running smoothy on older machines/notebooks/etc.
Career Officer
# 12
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
"GPU-accalerated particles" On/Off

is this maybe it?

had this set to GPU forever now

PS:

all i want to see from PhysX is that the STATIC ASTEROID FIELDS in Space,
that the asteroids move and rotate
kinda like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQ7MeNgQWE

not as chaotic, but some slow spinning would be nice

and have collision detection like Tribbles on the floor do
fly into an Asteroid, and your Shields just kick it away, instead of getting stuck in its geometry, maybe even make bigger parts collide with each other, break apart and produce smaller parts....

SOME sort of reaction would be nice anyway.

Just saying, there are sooooo many Asteroid Fields in STO's Story mission campaign... this feature alone would add 2 meta critic points
Commander
# 13
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
Those arnt physx thats just some software based physics that almost any game can and does have. Im talking about gpu based physics effects. This is what i mean with something that physx could be done and it can be done in mmos as eve was or still is working on this and thats a mmo. Yes of course the crytpic engine would need to be updated a bit for it to support proper physx probably but i think the benefits would be well worth it since probably half your player base has a physx capable card and system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...az8mWug#t=403s

But yeah, moving asteroids that rotate, have momentum i.e if hit will change direction. Smash to pieces if hit on the hull of a ship. New shield and weapon effects with it etc. Would be so visually nice imo.

I do hope someday in the not too distance future that it gets this stuff.

Here is a interesting article with physx stuff with mmos like secret world and age of conan etc.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/MMO-G...e-191885.shtml
See my previous post - PhysX is just the same as any other software physics solution if you don't have a hardware accelerator installed.

And as too the asteroids moving, etc, you are confusing client-side vs. server-side activities. In a single player game that kind of thing is fine because only your PC has to worry about it. Put that in an MMO and the object needs to have every facet of its movement synched to the server, and to an other players in the instance. Think how laggy maps with large amounts of players already are, then add a dozen or a hundred physics objects that need to be synched across all of those clients. Ping in the high thousands, anyone?

The physics in *** and for that matter STO are a client side convention only - when you see that anniversary balloon floating around and spinning in circles, only the location is being synched, the rotation and other effects are client side only. If you log two systems next to each other and, say, blow up an enemy phaser turret on the ground, the turret will explode on both, but the debris and the trajectory, dispersement, and even the quantity of it will be different on both screens.

STO uses PhysX and physics about the same as any multiplayer game can with bandwidth being what it is. Its eye candy on the client-side and irrelevant to the server.

Ever play Red Faction multiplayer? Remember how incredible the lag spikes were in large matches when someone decided to blow a new tunnel in the map with a rocket launcher? That had to be synched across all clients and the server simultaneously. Hence why the environments in RF2 were nowhere near as destructible.

I'm all for more realism in games, but unfortunately what you are talking about isn't feasible unless every player has a gigabit or better internet connection.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
PhysX isn't the best choice, even when limiting it to CPU's as it uses x87. Newer and even most older CPU's aren't very good at running x87 anymore. CPU PhysX as a whole is a marketing tool that limits gamers' experiences.
Commander
# 15
02-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
"GPU-accalerated particles" On/Off

is this maybe it?

had this set to GPU forever now

PS:

all i want to see from PhysX is that the STATIC ASTEROID FIELDS in Space,
that the asteroids move and rotate
kinda like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQ7MeNgQWE

not as chaotic, but some slow spinning would be nice

and have collision detection like Tribbles on the floor do
fly into an Asteroid, and your Shields just kick it away, instead of getting stuck in its geometry, maybe even make bigger parts collide with each other, break apart and produce smaller parts....

SOME sort of reaction would be nice anyway.

Just saying, there are sooooo many Asteroid Fields in STO's Story mission campaign... this feature alone would add 2 meta critic points
They could certainly make them spin, however, since the shape is irregular, it would have to be client side only - and as a side effect their hit box would be a giant cube. We would then be running into invisible walls in space. The only solution would be that single person instances run only on the client and not the server, which invites massive tampering and exploit possibilities unfortunately...

It would be truly awesome, I just wish it were possible.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
02-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornado View Post

That being said, PhysX is indeed dead/dying, for the excellent reasons already stated above, and good riddance, hardware agnostic solutions have always been preferable to proprietary optimizations.
I doubt PhysX is actually going away, they're just going to have to reimplement their GPU code in OpenCl or directCompute rather than CUDA, or they'll have to push for CUDA support in AMD and Intel parts (and when I mean push I mean actually make it happen).

The only way PhysX might go away is if MS actually pushes out a physics API in a future directx, which would force OpenCl to do the same.
Commander
# 17
02-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsri View Post
I doubt PhysX is actually going away, they're just going to have to reimplement their GPU code in OpenCl or directCompute rather than CUDA, or they'll have to push for CUDA support in AMD and Intel parts (and when I mean push I mean actually make it happen).

The only way PhysX might go away is if MS actually pushes out a physics API in a future directx, which would force OpenCl to do the same.
There are some open source projects out there porting PhysX functions to OpenCL etc., but they come with harsh words from the PhysX team.

What is more likely is that HAVOK will implement a sturdier hardware agnostic HW acceleration system (since they are the only real competition for the PhysX API) and force nVidia's hand into an open solution. Judging by how nVidia likes beating dead horses however, that could take a while.
Career Officer
# 18
04-11-2013, 08:03 AM
I wish there was ALOT more PhysX in this game. there is ALOT more that could be done.