Community Moderator
# 11
02-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawnknight View Post
I also figured out that triggers work across maps. So something you do in one map could have an effect on the other. I tested it out with a pop-up conversation trigger and it worked perfectly. I'm going to try to make more use of this in Part 3 (like having different characters appear based on prior conversations, etc. Only problem is that you can't incorporate this into the story string.
I thought so! My problem was, I was trying to do it based on a "Talk to Contact" objective and you can't have a failure result that advances the story.

Now that I know for sure it's possible, I might try to work out a way to make it happen.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 12
02-25-2013, 01:12 PM
I have this really great idea for a mission. It's about you getting sent to the edge of the galaxy and finding a path of destruction, eventually leading you to this race of beings that are the origins of the Iconians, blah blah blah (I don't want to go into the whole story). So over the course of several days I made this great map of a Borg transwarp hub in the Mutara nebula, but I kinda ran into a problem. I made it so you approach a gate and then you're supposed to 'transwarp' by warping out of the map through the planet (which is supposed to be that big ball of energy as seen in VOY: Endgame). Problem is the game wants to keep facing your ship away from the planet and warping you out, ruining the whole effect. That's my first problem (any tips?).

The second problem is just figuring out how to develop the whole story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Career Officer
# 13
02-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
... Just be aware that there is a bug with custom ground NPCs in the foundry where they don't record with demo record.
I know... gave me quite a surprise first time around. They just don't show up at all.

I do the costume swap feature now (taking the custom costume from another demo record session, and applying it over a standard NPC). It's another step in the process, but it gives you the end result you are wanting to capture.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK
Rihannsu
# 14
02-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
I have this really great idea for a mission. It's about you getting sent to the edge of the galaxy and finding a path of destruction, eventually leading you to this race of beings that are the origins of the Iconians, blah blah blah (I don't want to go into the whole story). So over the course of several days I made this great map of a Borg transwarp hub in the Mutara nebula, but I kinda ran into a problem. I made it so you approach a gate and then you're supposed to 'transwarp' by warping out of the map through the planet (which is supposed to be that big ball of energy as seen in VOY: Endgame). Problem is the game wants to keep facing your ship away from the planet and warping you out, ruining the whole effect. That's my first problem (any tips?).

The second problem is just figuring out how to develop the whole story.
Resistance is futile. I've done similar things. Whether the game makes someone turn at an odd angle before warping out is kinda arbitrary. An example of this is in my TAS Redux mission. You fly through a subspace conduit and when you get to the other end you warp out. But.... sometimes you jump straight ahead, sometimes you turn to the side. It seems like it might vary depending on your exact position inside the map, but it's not particularly dependable.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 15
02-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm currently working on the contest mission. I've learnt to use the select tools to make custom interiors pretty quickly. all you need is to copy/past a wall with the grid activated so that you don't have to micro manage every prop. I needed stairs and learnt that a char has to jump if the difference is higher than 0.4.

I also have another mission on hold. I reached the contact limit. It's pretty low, it's a shame. I'll have to use friendly mobs but you have to choose one animation only for a whole group.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I thought so! My problem was, I was trying to do it based on a "Talk to Contact" objective and you can't have a failure result that advances the story.

Now that I know for sure it's possible, I might try to work out a way to make it happen.

This is really good to know, as it solves an issue I was looking at for one of my future Allegiance missions. I'll have to test it out to see how it works, it's only for pop ups on the map itself, not anything in the storyboard, correct?

Just starting map creation on Star Trek: Allegiance Part 4, though I'm looking at having to spend a lot of time on a custom interior map as the ones available are not going to work for what I want to do. Also gotta wait to see which call sign for Elly wins out.

Something I tried with Part 3 was posting an extra scene to the forums to add some more background to the story line. So far its had plenty of views but not much response so I'm not sure how valuable it is. Also did the 'entering a map while still in warp' thing and it ended up working out pretty well.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, the objects I was using had severe pathing problems which caused the BOffs and the enemy NPC's to fall through the platforms
By any chance, were the platforms triggerable? Objects that can be triggered are not considered in pathing. Also IIRC the path nodes are added/updated after publish.

Quote:
I also figured out that triggers work across maps. So something you do in one map could have an effect on the other. I tested it out with a pop-up conversation trigger and it worked perfectly.
Can you please elaborate? Last time I checked (like a year ago) the triggers were not carried over to other maps. Except for the objective completes, but that worth absolutely nothing. In order to get to a further map, you need to complete all objectives. Thus if you are on the next map, you can be 100% sure that all the previous objectives were completed.

So can you now reference a "Dialog prompt reached" from a map dialog that was placed onto another map?
Or can you reference an Object from a different map for a trigger?
If so that opens up a lot of possibilities.

Edit: CaptPFDennis just checked and triggers don't work through maps, so it is status quo. Too bad.

Last edited by pendra3780; 02-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Great thread, the opportunity to have discussions like these was the whole reason I started The Foundry Roundtable.

@Pendra, the only way I know of to carry triggered choices across maps is to essentially have the player make the choice again in the dialogue when they get to a new map.

For example: Say you set up a scenario where the player can either activate a console or not. On the next map you have someone pop up with a map dialogue saying "Dude, did you activate that console?" the player chooses yes or no (hopefully they remember which choice they made on the first map) and based on those diverging dialogue prompts, you spawn different objects/enemies/npcs.

Unless there's something new I don't know about...

Personally I'm hard at work on my contest entry after having slacked off for a couple weeks. But it's cool, I do my best work on deadline.

I've been working with patrols for the first time, as this is the first mission I've made since they were introduced. Discovering their uses and pitfalls has been interesting.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 02-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendra3780 View Post
By any chance, were the platforms triggerable? Objects that can be triggered are not considered in pathing. Also IIRC the path nodes are added/updated after publish.
These weren't triggerable. They were just regular details on the map.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

OK, I can confirm the re-checks. The dialog prompt I thought worked across the map was actually just a duplicate dialog I had placed there weeks ago. I wasn't able to tell the difference without looking really hard at it. Sorry for the confusion.

The possibility is definitely there though if they would just open up the other options on the triggers.

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC