Captain
"But wait centersolace!" You exclaim, "haven't you been one of the most vocal anit-lockbox leaders since their inception?" Yes. I still am. However, today I was thinking about how I'm not a gambler and have never spent a penny on gambling. But then I realized something; Yes I have. Quite a considerable amount of money in fact, and I imagine a fair number of you have spent money on this as well.

Trading Card Games.

Face it. Going through pack after pack, hoping to get that one rare, limited production, shiny Pikachu/Blue Eyes White Dragon/Liliana of the Dark Realms simply because it's been designated as such... yup that's gambling all right. So what's the difference? Well, lockboxes seem to be designed more like gachapons where you stick money in a vending machine and get a random item. Whereas with a trading card game you get more than one thing, and trade for the things you want.

Sure, you can trade lockbox ships, but that seems to be more of an afterthought rather than something they were based upon. So yes, what I'm saying is that we don't have enough lockboxes or lockbox ships. We need more. Lots more. But have them all of varying likelyhoods so you're almost always guaranteed to get a ship (Well, it doesn't have to be a ship, it could be bridge officers, weapons, costumes, whatever really) just make sure that someone somewhere would be willing to trade what he has for it. For example, I'm not really a ship guy, but I love me my costumes. Hint. Hint.

Lockboxes are fairly successful already, but if they were designed more like trading card game where you were always guaranteed to get something good, and you could always trade it for something else I think that would be even more successful. Harder, but even more successful.

So that might require a few changes:

1. Everything needs to be tradeable. You know how you can't trade mining claims? Yeah, that's bad.

2. There needs to be ten things worth getting per lockbox run at the minimum. But this can be ships, costumes, hairstyles, bridge officers, weapons, items, pets, so on and so forth. So it doesn't have to be hard to make these things.

3. Lockbox ship consoles need to be useable on other ships. Not every card needs to have the deck it came with, and not every console needs the ship it came with. As a compromise, some consoles could be slightly less effective on other ships, for example temporal backstep would run 10 seconds rather than 13.

4. Ships need to be reclaimable if you dismiss it. I mean really? Why is this even a thing? If a player accidentally dismisses their ship, they're far more likely to storm off in a rage rather than buy a new one. Everything else I mention is free game though.

Yes, lockboxes are fairly successful as they are now, but these changes would give them much more longevity.

Though, don't forget about the C-Store. That needs love too.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 2
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Totally agree with the above. I dont mind the lockbox's there a good way to fund this game further and seem to be doing so, but a few minor tweeks should happen. Dont think thats asking to much. Your still going to get $$ from your player base.
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Republic Veteran
# 3
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
am I in the mirror universe...do I need to grow a goatee (or shave it since mirror me would be the good one)

but yeah why is that not a thing with the reclaiming.

Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Well I can see the analogy....but with the trading card games I played, you were at least guaranteed 1 rare, a couple of uncommons, and the rest commons out of a 'booster' so you had at least the knowledge you'd get something rare....you can get utter crap from lock boxes......repeatedly.
____

The o3 - Killed you good
Career Officer
# 5
02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
OH.

my.

GOD.

People are on the internet and making sense!!

I am in alternate reality after all! You were right, Elvis!

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Career Officer
# 6
02-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I love the day new lockboxes come out, it's all bubbly and active. Everyone is flying their new toys around and having fun.

Joined August 2009
Captain
# 7
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusofborg View Post
I love the day new lockboxes come out, it's all bubbly and active. Everyone is flying their new toys around and having fun.
Everyone ? Really ?
Now I understand the "spirit" of what you said , but that "everyone" seems to be missing a few ppl (the majority of the playerbase actually) , you know those who buy another 10-50$ worth of keys to try again and then either buy more keys or curse loudly at Cryptic , lockboxes heck some even at their fellow players , and those who sit back and quietly wait for the ships to show up on the secondary market .
Plus there are those who just don't care .

So no offense , but I would hardly call that "everyone" . More like a lucky few maybe .
(some of which take a delight to park their new shiny next to ESD)

Oh and OP , it's still gambling with relatively 'big' money .
Trading cards don't cost this much .
Just my opinion , not looking to debate this again .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 02-28-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1 View Post
Trading cards don't cost this much .
I have to disagree on this point. Trading cards can, will, and DO cost 'that much'. Whatever hot new thing is 'in' for a TCG is always going to be pricy.

As someone who has played Yugioh and Magic in the past, it's not fun or cheap to get the really rare and pricy stuff.

Jace the Mind Sculptor anyone?

For all the gripes I might have about this game, at least the pixels I'm paying all this money for I know will be here until the game goes away, and won't really ever change. The value and usage of cards can change between one day and the next.

Career Officer
# 9
02-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Personally, I do not care much about the things. But if it gets cash in Cryptic's hands, pay their devs and allows for hiring more, go for it, throw more boxes out there for those who are into them...

SERVER NOT RESPONDING (1701s)
Career Officer
# 10
02-28-2013, 12:30 AM
That is one thing that keeps me buying lockboxes. I get other stuff too.

Sure, I have a ton of mining claims. That's ... odd.

But I regularly get DOffs that I need for Starbase construction. Or can use to trade up to better DOffs. I've even gotten a few purples.

Lobi which I've saved up and gotten some pretty cool things with.

Some cool consoles/weapons/etc. that I've been able to sell for reasonable amounts (it not really really good amounts).

No ships though.

Not a biggie though, as I think almost any ship I get would just be sold so I wouldn't need to worry about money in game for quite a while.

Ya pays yer buck twenty five and takes yer chances.

Join AIE Today! http://forum.myextralife.com/forum/6...r-trek-online/