Lt. Commander
# 1 CPU usage with GTX 450
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Hello all,

I recently replaced a geforce 9800GT with a geforce 450. I also bought the logitech G10 keyboard which shows CPU usage. With the 9800 GT I was experiencing 75% or so max CPU usage (quad core q9300), now with the new card I max out frequently and lag on ground missions (never in space)

1. Is there a setting which I need to adjust or have inadvertently adjusted which increasses CPU load at the expense of GPU

2. Is there a resolution to this problem? It would be a sad day in my world if I upgraded my video card and had to lower graphical settings as a result.

Thanks,
-Devo
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Thinking of doing a similar swap soon. I currently run a Nvidia 9600 and want to upgrade to a GTX 400'ish card. I was wondering if there was gona be complications... I hope you get this figured out. Let us know.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I have a GTX 470, and yeah ground tends to be kinda dodgy for me in terms of performance.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrik35 View Post
Thinking of doing a similar swap soon. I currently run a Nvidia 9600 and want to upgrade to a GTX 400'ish card. I was wondering if there was gona be complications... I hope you get this figured out. Let us know.
I will say that the space combat is awesome with the new card. I had to tweak a whole bunch of things though, both in game and in the NVIDIA control panel. But the card upgrade is worth it if not for this game then for all the others that run beautifully.

Also, at times, the ground combat works wonderfully and without incident. Its hit or miss. The latest and worst lag I had with the new card was in the Devidian episodes, and the "bringing down the house" mission on Forcas. That one was unplayable. In both instances the issue was CPU spikes, which never happened before.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm having the exact same issue after replacing my 8800 GTS with a GTS 450 1 GB. My CPU (a Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz) had never been all that heavily loaded before, but now, it's jammed at or near 100% on both cores in space or ground combat. Ground combat is laggy with lots of hitches and pauses and near-constant disk access, but I'm seeing little tiny pauses and stutters even in 1-on-1 space combat. Why would going to a faster video card and the newest nVidia 260.99 drivers cause my performance to be, net, SLOWER than my old workhorse 8800 GTS?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2010, 03:03 AM
STO needs atleast DX10 support to be added.
I have notice lot of issues with GF 400 series.
Maybe it is because that is infact a modified GF 200 series and just added DX11 support.
Or card simply do not work good in DX9.
I would like to see DX10 support and DX9 support in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2011, 01:26 PM
This issue is still occurring and if anything has gotten worse. I see people still recommending 400-series Geforce cards for use with STO...I can't see how. Ground combat is all but unplayable. My CPU (E8400 dual-core, 3.0 GHz) isn't the fastest thing in the world, but when I had my old slow 8800 GTS in my machine, it was more than fine for STO. As soon as I installed a 1 GB GTS 450, my game performance went to crap. CPU is jammed at 100% on both cores in space and ground combat, sound stutters, the controls feel like I'm running my toon through molasses. Adjusting the graphics makes no difference (and shouldn't, as that should all be handled by the GPU, not the CPU). Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 after some other problems unrelated to this, it didn't help. Cleaned and updated to the latest nVidia drivers, which did fix problems I was having in other games, it didn't help. What the heck is going on here? I may end up having to drop my sub just because this game's gone from reasonably pleasant to play as a diversion, to a frustrating, laggy, glitching, slow experience, between this and the problems that seem to have been introduced with the new episode.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2011, 09:42 PM
G'day guys, I just bought a new laptop ,
its a HP , Quad core 17 ,
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (1 gig dedicated graphics card)
windows 7
i should be able to play on this , had it running on my old duel core laptop previously..

milo
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Geforce 4xx anything will cause the CPU to work harder, because the card eats more cpu cycles for its processing (retrieving data from HDD/memory, pre-rendering frames, calculating debris physics, ect)

Turning down debris physics might help the most.

That said I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a quad core @ 2.3ghz for a 4xx, same goes for ATi's 6xxx and 5xxx.