Lt. Commander
# 81
01-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Can someone explain what they mean by stuttering. I was getting a lot of what is known as rubber banding, where you get pulled back to a position you were a couple of seconds previously.
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Here is the exact explanation of the problem for those who ask :

With the latest Nvidia drivers, when you are in ground combat or in space stations (particularily in space stations btw), even if you have 80FPS constant, each 2 seconds or so you will have a kind of "freeze". Not a real freeze, you simply drop to something like 3FPS for 1 second, but it looks like a freeze.

It is NOT network lag, it is NOT graphic lag (the game runs fine). It is an obvious bug related to the game engine and/or the drivers.
I rolled back to the 190.62 drivers and now it is a lot better.

Any problem not corresponding to this one has nothing to do in this thread in my opinion. Particularily the problems concerning server load : rubberbanding, freeze of your character etc...
Lt. Commander
# 83
01-14-2010, 07:05 AM
The stuttering in the youtube video i've seen that has been posted here was what i've had on space stations. But after i turned shadows off the stuttering disapeared completly. I have newer drivers than 190. And my cards are powerfull. Have maxed out every other setting.

I recall it wasn't the only game with stuttering because of shadows what i had. Sacred 2 had the same problems with shadows as did other games have that used fairly realistic shadows.

But i suppose everyone has it's own problems. Mine is atleast solved with shadows turned off.
Lt. Commander
# 84
01-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Does anyone know if you can even get that version driver for laptop cards? I have a 9600m gt and I cant find that driver so am I just screwd?
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyx View Post
And when can we expect a FIX for this stuttering issue?

Telling your customers to use 6 month old drivers for months on end is hardly a resolution. I've not played CO for months now because it is unplayable for me and I cant go back to older drivers just for one game because I have other software that needs the newest drivers. And I can tell you I will not play STO until this is resolved as well.

Oh and it's not just "a bit" of stuttering. It's A LOT of stuttering. Virtually unplayable.
Here is an example someone has already posted on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXspIRm5wjI
(Mine is a lot worse than this in both STO and CO, but runs perfectly smooth on the same settings using the 190.xx drivers)
I'll be deleteing the game and getting a refund if this isn't fixed in short order tbh. Companies that tell me to roll back drivers/turn down settings don't get my patronage I'm afraid.

I'm sick to death of this kind of thing in MMOs (and PC gaming in general). It's unacceptable.

And please, spare me the "it's a beta" lark. Anyone who knows anything about MMOs knows that 2.5 weeks before release IS release.
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-14-2010, 10:35 AM
The game was running smooth using 195.81 beta drivers an tuesday. After the 13/01 patch the stuttering came. Without shadows and anti aliasing it still stutters. A bit less, but way more than it would be acceptable to call it "fun". Going back to 190.xx is no option because the drivers have a bug so that my GPU fan will speed up to 100% rpm when entering 3D mode and will never slow down again until reboot. That's just too much noise.

Whatever you changed with the 13/01 patch. Look into it and change it back!
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Well Im running a GTS 250 on a 3.2 Gh core 2 with 3gigs of ram on XP using 190.62 drivers and on the ground i cant get more than 3 FPS ON MINIMAL. So something in this build is oubviously way wrong. As it stands right now the game is unplayable for me. The odd thing is I was a CB tester and had no issues at all even with 195.62 untill the 1/13/10 patch.
Lt. Commander
# 88
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
has this problem been fixed yet? I plan on getting a new video card soon, and was hoping not to have this problem.
Lt. Commander
# 89
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I found out when switching to windowed mode, the graphics are not stuttering anymore. However, FPS on ground missions is way too low. But at least it's playable in ground missions.

I've got a Geforece GTX 280 amd I'm using the latest drivers.
Lt. Commander
Anyone getting very high temperatures (>90c) when playing STO (or any other game) should go to the nvida website and download there system tools addon http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nvidi...s_6.05_uk.html this will add an extra "performance" section to the nvida control panel where you can setup rules that increase your fan speed as the temperature increases to stop any overheating.

I have mine set so that at 40c the fan speed is 30% and as it get above 75c the fan speed is 70%

Hope this helps stop anyone having to buy a new graphics card because there old one melted!