Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Third time trying to make my character, I disconnected again. C'mon, Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauwyn_Vorec
This post is full of win... simply... AWESOME.
http://media.fakeposters.com/results...jr8ed8ujsm.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Still getting booted half way through the creation process...
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unos View Post
Yeah, 10 minutes making a character and it disconnects. Very annoying
I second that ..but hey its beta.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I am also getting this issue ... ah well. I'll give it another shot in a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepestblue View Post
Disappointing. Big marketing yadda-yadda and then you can't even get into the game at all.

Is it really only Blizzard getting things done? Well, no beta - no purchase.
As someone who has participated in MMO betas before, and as a software engineer, these kinds of issues are not altogether unexpected. Heck, I can still remember the Earth & Beyond beta, where the server was so overloaded it took ~15 minutes for the server to process your move commands. Seeing the starting sector stuffed full of imobile ships, slanted this way and that, was quite amusing. Every so often you would see one cruise by, seemingly propelled at random, only to become stuck in some cosmic spider web moments later. Chat was working, though ... amsuing conversations to be had at that time. Ooo, look, I moved!

Betas are not demos. They are part of the software testing process.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
So far I the STO launcher doesn't recognize my user name or password.
However I can log into the Game Client but time out when trying to access the account server.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Everyone take a breath. Good now Let it out. Good. I want you all to go make yourselves a snack, turn on the TV and relax. There are over 100,000+ people trying to log in all at once. They are all jamming the character creator and starter station and tutorial. If you want to get in and not worry then you need to let the over excited new comers get in and do their thing. Relax and you will get your turn. I can wait for a couple more hours to let the newer folks get in and play and certainly you can as well. This isn't a Fault on Cryptics part. They are still using the beta servers with slight tweaks from the closed beta. Meaning this problem was unavoidable. Just Relax and keep checking this thread for updates. A Dev will post here if this problem becomes something more then login stress.

Rezo
Ghost Fleet
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Same issue here. Unable to complete character creation. Just throwing in my input though I am sure they are aware of this by now. Will keep trying periodically.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepestblue View Post
Disappointing. Big marketing yadda-yadda and then you can't even get into the game at all.

Is it really only Blizzard getting things done? Well, no beta - no purchase.
just want to clarify the purpose of beta is testing and at this late in the process they are probably doing server testing. So Essentially the server stressing and dropping is normal especially for a high profile game like this. I think honestly there needs to be more patience for the developers in this respect.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Let me give you people a heads-up on what to expect once you get in.

As it is now, people are dropping left and right due to the massive demand on server resources. Even if you get in, you may not be able to play for very long.

If you manage to pass the tutorial without dropping and going back to waiting, expect a very long wait getting into the Sol System, and another long wait trying to get onto Earth Spacedock. Assuming you don't drop from that and go back to waiting again, you'll eventually make it out into Sector Space, and things will run more smoothely for you.

Your first mission will probably be the SS Azura, and if it is, expect lots of other people to be doing the mission as well, and thus, more loading and waiting.

It will take a while, but eventually, things will smooth out. If you want more stability and less waiting, wait until tomorrow or something to actually start playing, and hopefully things will be easier for you.

Otherwise, you'll need a great deal of patience.