Lt. Commander
# 61
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakevalentine
VeovisX I got a feeling you will be disapointed... I tested closed and open betas and started on day one in release in atleast a few games (wow, star wars galaxies, Lineage2 and moore not so big) and what I found so far... not a single mmo game has a clean start...
it took wow 3 years atleast to get to a good level... lineage2 I had issues with even last time I tested it a few months back... SWG was the best of them far as I was concerned...

But main thing is... login servers... first days of release or open beta or what not... they will have issues.. no server in this world was made for this kinda preaure... once more people gotten further into the game itself and less people log in at same time it will go alot smoother. there will still be bugs but not AS bad.

No I'm fully aware, I've been in a few betas too, I just have to wait till things get smoother, I'm very experienced at waiting for things now. Cryptic knows if they blow this game it will more then likely make or break the studio, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on their intentions
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
As a software engineer on a high volume website, let me briefly explain why this type of bug keeps popping up.

It all has to do with bottlenecks. And there are Lots of bottlenecks. A typical server is not just 1 server, it's dozens (or more) of servers, usually split across multiple machines, each doing a separate task. Any of these machines could be the bottleneck, and when they fix one bottleneck, another bottleneck is usually revealed.

For instance, maybe the first "bottleneck" is their internet connection. so they upgrade from a T1 to a DS3 -- problem solved (at least temporarily, they might outgrow a DS3 too)

After that, they find out that the login server is getting hammered, so they convert it to a cluster of several login servers.

Next, the login database is running at capacity -- this one is not easy to fix. Usually, you can't fix this problem simply by buying more machines. When a company first encounters this bottleneck, it usually requires a complete rewrite of their database schema. Unless they planned for this from the beginning, in which case, hey, major kudos! But that's the exception, not the rule.

Etc etc etc. you get the idea.

It could take hundreds of iterations before the product is fully scalable. And here's why open beta is so important -- most of the bottlenecks are completely invisible until you get LOTS of players hammering the server. The devs literally didn't know Component X was an issue until they got enough players to bring Component X down.

Happy Testing!
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Got through the ground tutorial, was just getting the space combat figured out when got disconnected again. Sigh. It looks like it could be fun.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Now I was disconnected fourth time, it already **** me on.

Maybe I should trie another mission?
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
LordCerberus even with a sea of servers stacked I doubt it could handle this... and to use thousands on thousands on this just for the first few days of each major release is not something most would invest in... never seen anyone do it so far but maybe cryptic will be first rofl they could offcourse upgrade the rest of system with these farms later on tho....
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Äh just one question: will we able to log in today or not? Connecting to the log in server is impossible until now our whole fleet can' t go in and play. 60 guys are waiting for their beta start...
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
i wouldnt count on it.
to be honest, i expected a situation like this.. but i couldnt imagine that would turn out that bad like it is now..
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if it is mentioned here... I just cant read everything in here. I have to go back to game hehe.

If I play in Fullscreen I am also kicked out after a couple of minutes. But Now when I use window mode I have been playing for a long time. I tryed to change back to full again and puff, I was out again. Wery strange.

Edit: Must have been luck, more than anything with "full or windowed". After a couple of hours it went bad again. It was to strange to be true haha.
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know much about networks/servers and what not, but shouldn't they have at least a general idea of what kind of load they would get(from pre-orders) and what kind of hardware that would be needed to compensate? Considering they did make Champion Online and didn't that go through a similar senario?
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Most are able to go in today... if you dont that meens either your isp is bad or your out of luck... depending.. but I would keep trying (then again I want in at any price )