Lt. Commander
# 1 The Needs Of The Many....
04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Is The Frustration Of The Many...

I have spent the last 2+ hours trying to get an aid planet mission to complete the mission The Needs of the Many. During that time I have heard numerous people complaining about the lack of aid missions, and aid missions not counting towards completing this mission.

I submitted a ticket about 45 mins ago asking about this and instead of a human response, recieved a very well cut and paste from the CS Dev book of "give the pleeb an answer" text book that offered nothing.

If this mission was not meant to be put in the hands of someone my rank, a Lieutenant Commander, then WHY offer it out? The Delta Volantis Sector is basically a Lieutenant area from my perspective.

Spending over 2 hours to complete a simply quest/mission is rediculous and this should be re-evaluated and moved to a different area.

Perhaps something more like flying through regular systems, we'd get hailed by the KNOWN systems out there asking for aid, instead of searching UNKNOWN systems that somehow we know what the heck they are looking for would be better.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taske
Is The Frustration Of The Many...

I have spent the last 2+ hours trying to get an aid planet mission to complete the mission The Needs of the Many. During that time I have heard numerous people complaining about the lack of aid missions, and aid missions not counting towards completing this mission.

I submitted a ticket about 45 mins ago asking about this and instead of a human response, recieved a very well cut and paste from the CS Dev book of "give the pleeb an answer" text book that offered nothing.

If this mission was not meant to be put in the hands of someone my rank, a Lieutenant Commander, then WHY offer it out? The Delta Volantis Sector is basically a Lieutenant area from my perspective.

Spending over 2 hours to complete a simply quest/mission is rediculous and this should be re-evaluated and moved to a different area.

Perhaps something more like flying through regular systems, we'd get hailed by the KNOWN systems out there asking for aid, instead of searching UNKNOWN systems that somehow we know what the heck they are looking for would be better.
If only there were some players that did extensive data collecting and research on the Aid the Planet mission spawn rate.

Oh wait ...

There already is.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh and if you DO click that link (and you should) ignore most of MY posts in it. And read AzureAlliance's posts. The data Azure collected is extensive. And details the spawn rate of AtP missions quite well. That's the info you need. It will explain your issue. It's great data collected by a fine tester of this game. And should be noted by us.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-30-2010, 02:10 AM
I read the post/link.. and frankly.. it does nothing.

With the changes done in the recent patch, that introduced this new quest and more info to the players on Aid missions, learning that maybe... maybe.. you get a mission like that 4 or 5% of the time points out its very flaw in its implimentation.

I wouldn't go so far as to say his data collection was great or extensive, nor would I say his attitude was either.

A solution to this either needs to be found, or the quest/mission in question should be removed. Getting a specific randomly generated quest "zone" to fulfill a mission is just bad design.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Oh and if you DO click that link (and you should) ignore most of MY posts in it. And read AzureAlliance's posts. The data Azure collected is extensive. And details the spawn rate of AtP missions quite well. That's the info you need. It will explain your issue. It's great data collected by a fine tester of this game. And should be noted by us.
I had a look at that post he doesnt seem the sort of person you should be holding up as a fine example to others from what I read.
For instance...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureAlliance View Post
both my toons always complete relief efforts, they're easy and really don't ask for much tbh. if you don't have the energy to buy or inventory space to carry the commodities, l2p, you are terribad/pathetically lazy at this game and a disgrace to Starfleet
Soon as someone starts using phrases like l2p and terribad, you pretty much have the measure of them.
But anyway, from one persons unsubstantiated experiences onto my own.

Had some good and bad luck on this mission last night while trying to clear it with 2 of my characters.
Went to DVC with my admiral, first mission I got was an aid the planet, did it and finished needs of the many right off.
Went to DVC with my captain, took me 2 trys to get an aid the planet mission this time, did it but no credit for NotM.
The one noticable difference between the 2, was that my admiral had an aid planet that wanted shield generators which was the comodity you get for free, whilst the captain had one for provisions.
Still trying to get a second aid planet mission with the captain to see if I can get a shield gen one.
As to the frequency of the mission type though I havent done as many explores as AA, but I have had them pop up much more than 5%, sometimes twice whilst trying to do a 3 mission daily in btrans.
What we arent privy to though, is if there is some back end functionality that means you can only get 1 every so often, say 1 every 30 minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-30-2010, 06:38 AM
I had that. Did a couple aid missions in Delta, didn't complete. Said the hell with it and dropped it XD
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Right then, where to start?

First off I and (surely) others reported these problems on tribble before the patch went live.

1, 'The needs of the many' is an introductory mission to get players into 'aid planet' missions / system 'supply' missions. That being so, players will not want to spend hours trying to complete 'The needs ...'.

2, Players are not being given the items needed to aid a planet - that is, the items given do nopt match what the planet requires so you still need to collect those needed items.

3, Originally, entering the areas to redo an aid mission would not bring up that mission for completion and your log would simply state that the mission text was not available.

Answers to theses issues (what Cryptic did or you can do);

1, Cryptic have said that they have 'wieghted' the anomalies to make it easier to get aid missions. I noticed that I still did not seem to get aid missions until I realised that such missions are given after taking action on other missions! Example - BO says xxxx planet has not been in touch with starfleet, shall we investigate. When you go to planet, they ask for aid. The mission then CHANGES to aid planet / supply mission! So WATCH OUT for this happening - you may get a mission that is not apparently an aid mission until you cantact the planet.

2, At a low level it may be that you are short on credits! That said, all the items needed to complete the aid missions can be replicated on your ship or bought at Earth Star Dock. This makes collecting the items very easy - though you do need th credits (sell drops you do not need maybe).

3, On entering anomaly area you now get prompted to continue the aid mission and the mission log text has info about the mission.

I am not saying the situation is fully fixed or no tweaking is needed or vice versa!

Time will tell if any alteration to the current system is needed.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I like the new 'goody bag' reward idea for these missions - potentially very useful!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM
I do think that for the "Needs of the many..." they should make whatever the first system you enter an aid the planet. I fiddled about going through about a dozen different ones not getting one and moving on. Perhaps there's a 4-5% chance of getting one, but that's not good enough for a tutorial mission.

My experience with Aid the Planet is it seems to go in streaks. I'll get 3 or 4 in maybe a weeks time and then nothing. Now that there's a point to doing them, it'd be nice to give them a much greater chance. I'd rather a 4-5% chance of "scan 5 anomalies" than the Aid missions. One day I completed all 3 requirements on nothing but scanning anomalies. They could at least do a quick check so as to what your previous mission was so you're not doing the same ones back to back.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taske
I read the post/link.. and frankly.. it does nothing.
It tells you how often these missions spawn.

Quote:
With the changes done in the recent patch,
With the changes in the recent patch you want them to spawn more. But prior to reading that link you specifically had no idea what their rate was like. Because up until this patch, you never did the missions.

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say his data collection was great or extensive, nor would I say his attitude was either.
I'd say his data collection on the subject dwarfs yours. Which is my point.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimov View Post
I had a look at that post he doesnt seem the sort of person you should be holding up as a fine example to others from what I read.
I do. You know why? Becaus unlike anyone else in these forums, that person cataloged and posted data collected for over 1,000 exploration missions. And thus that person was able to quantify the spawn rate for these missions. Instead of having rampant speculation on them.

All during a time when people would consistently complain about how they skip and never do these missions.

So that now ... when the same people no longer want to skip these missions and would rather get the "free gift" that the mission gives out ... there is now data showing us all how rare those missions are.

Seems to me that even with phrases like l2p, that player still had a better grasp of how to address gameplay bugs than ... other players on these forums.
Closed Thread