Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Cryptic Studios Team
We've just checked in the following changes, to help ease the imbalance caused by the Cryo Pulsewave, and the Hyper-Compressed Cryo Pulsewave. This change has two aspects:

1) All Environmental Suits have gained a base amount of Cold Resistance.

This was an oversight on our part, to not have this resist set included on EV suit armors from the get-go. The actual benefit you will see added to EV Armor items will be equivalent to their current "Fire" resist levels.

2) The damage dealt TO PLAYERS by the Cryo Pulsewave weapons has been reduced to 75% of its previous output. (Damage output vs. NPCs is completely unchanged.)

This figure was arrived at via the following method:

First, we examined the maximum Energy Resistance a lvl 50 Captain is likely to be able to come by, via equipment alone. Then, we compared the max Cold Resist a player could attain via the same method, AFTER the change mentioned above (#1).

The difference between the damage potential of a Mk XII Phaser Pulsewave, and the Hyper-Compressed Cryo Pulsewave (which is also Mk XII), based solely on these Max Available Resistances, worked out to be almost exactly a 25% margin. That is to say, the Phaser weapon dealt 75% of the damage that a Cryo weapon could pump out over the same period of time.

Now... we realize that Cold Resist still only exists on EV Suit items, and therefore will still be rarely used by most players. As such, we don't necessarily consider this a Closed Case. However, we're hopeful that the Ground PvP community will test out these modifications, and let us know if they help address the issue.

I'm told they may appear on Tribble as early as tomorrow, so keep an eye out!
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Empire Veteran
# 2
02-27-2013, 06:08 PM
yay! pvp got attention! we always appreciate that here bort.

im pretty clueless on ground gear, but is there a resist all energy mod for it? perhaps cold and heat should be includes in that category? or a reduce all damage mod. and having individual mods like for kinetic, physical, phaser ect...
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 3
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes! thanks for the fix Borticus!. The community it's asking for this for a long time now, thank you again.

I'm sure ill be testing this on Tribble.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com

Last edited by mrkollins; 02-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Lieutenant
# 4
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
We've just checked in the following changes, to help ease the imbalance caused by the Cryo Pulsewave, and the Hyper-Compressed Cryo Pulsewave. This change has two aspects:

1) All Environmental Suits have gained a base amount of Cold Resistance.

This was an oversight on our part, to not have this resist set included on EV suit armors from the get-go. The actual benefit you will see added to EV Armor items will be equivalent to their current "Fire" resist levels.

2) The damage dealt TO PLAYERS by the Cryo Pulsewave weapons has been reduced to 75% of its previous output. (Damage output vs. NPCs is completely unchanged.)

This figure was arrived at via the following method:

First, we examined the maximum Energy Resistance a lvl 50 Captain is likely to be able to come by, via equipment alone. Then, we compared the max Cold Resist a player could attain via the same method, AFTER the change mentioned above (#1).

The difference between the damage potential of a Mk XII Phaser Pulsewave, and the Hyper-Compressed Cryo Pulsewave (which is also Mk XII), based solely on these Max Available Resistances, worked out to be almost exactly a 25% margin. That is to say, the Phaser weapon dealt 75% of the damage that a Cryo weapon could pump out over the same period of time.

Now... we realize that Cold Resist still only exists on EV Suit items, and therefore will still be rarely used by most players. As such, we don't necessarily consider this a Closed Case. However, we're hopeful that the Ground PvP community will test out these modifications, and let us know if they help address the issue.

I'm told they may appear on Tribble as early as tomorrow, so keep an eye out!
I can already tell you a 25 percent base damage nerf in pvp is gonna put this weapon back in people's banks for one simple fact alone. Cryo pulsewave doesn't offer a 66 percent knockback proc a regular pulsewave does.

Although I will have to see what the damage on a fully tact buffed power cell alpha comes out to be from this. But according to what you say the damage on such a buffed cryo pulswave should be very close or equal to that of a standard mk 12 pulsewave. If this is the case the critical and range scaling should also be about the same as well. It still might be a moderate issue since those envirnomental suits ARE NOT viable PVP options. But I am doubting it since any nerf typically scares players away as is common practice in space.

Even before this nerf it isn't horrifically hard to "dodge" stack one good tact player decloaking on you with a full cryo alpha. So I can imagine this alone is gonna change ground to fighting long range now. I can already see many tact noobs going to hell with this nerf While the cryo pulsewave was a good equalizer against self healing sci's this is overall better for the game. Something like this also takes the operative kit out of certain players hands. I am liking what I see here. Truth is bort you may not have to do anything else to cryo resist or this weapon if this all plays out as I feel it will. GREAT JOB.

Now let's tweak the stealth values on the covert trait, and how the value of covert affects stealth module and distortion field and ground pvp will be back in business. Also I suggest extending the aoe range on a self tricorder scan to 15 meters instead of the 8 it is now.

Last edited by futurecaptain; 02-27-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
A few specific damage types are specifically included from our "All Energy" damage set. These are:

Cold
Fire
Toxic
Radiation

The general idea here is that a Personal Shield isn't likely to protect you from any of the above.

If you ever see a Dev reference "Environmental Damage" we are referring to those same 4 damage types.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Rihannsu
# 6
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
This interests me.. I'm wondering if this could perhaps be a way to improve space pvp as well.. Or if it was what you were suggesting in the previous thread.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Lieutenant
# 7
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Quote:
A few specific damage types are specifically included from our "All Energy" damage set. These are:

Cold
Fire
Toxic
Radiation

The general idea here is that a Personal Shield isn't likely to protect you from any of the above.

If you ever see a Dev reference "Environmental Damage" we are referring to those same 4 damage types.
Yes putting that bonus inside the elite fleet armor was a great addition on that. I can tell you with 2 in threat control and an elite fleet armor my dmg resist vs all the env damage types is 9.2 percent. This includes psionic as well although you don't see much psionic damage in pvp except from a kdf lethean. If a person was carrying this agreesive trait it would also boost these values as well since the trait affects threat generation skill. Hint for new players.

I feel the elite fleet armor could use maybe a 5 to 10 percent buff on the ALL DAMAGE RESIST section of it. The damage resist of regular energy types will diminish so much that a player might get 1.5 percent if that off such a buff. This also shouldn't be enough to kill the physics kit but at the same time get the average player closer to 20 percent resist on all the env damage types if they were to invest some skill points and use elite fleet armor which to date most folks won't like doing due to the massive benefits of 3 piece omega.

Last edited by futurecaptain; 02-27-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
This interests me.. I'm wondering if this could perhaps be a way to improve space pvp as well.. Or if it was what you were suggesting in the previous thread.
This was relatively easy to do with 4 powers (two primary fires, two secondary fires) by manually altering the data. Doing so to every single power in the game is a non-option due to the scope. Applying zone-wide modifications is still a possibility, but they're less ... surgical.

For example, the above change, if performed as a zone-wide mod, the best I could do is modify Cold Damage or Cold Resist globally. Which we haven't done. The CRM 200 remains unchanged, for example.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Lieutenant
# 9
02-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Quote:
This was relatively easy to do with 4 powers (two primary fires, two secondary fires) by manually altering the data. Doing so to every single power in the game is a non-option due to the scope. Applying zone-wide modifications is still a possibility, but they're less ... surgical.

For example, the above change, if performed as a zone-wide mod, the best I could do is modify Cold Damage or Cold Resist globally. Which we haven't done. The CRM 200 remains unchanged, for example.
Well the crm was never an issue. With 6 in willpower the hold procs are shrugged off the 1 attack is still too low on damage to be a killer after the shields are down. The 2 attack is completely nonviable in pvp due to knockback can interupt it. As well as the player animation lock and player movement slow during those 4 seconds it takes to fire the secondary. It actually will get you killed more than it will kill.
Rihannsu
# 10
02-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:

Gotcha. I see what your saying.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku