Former PWE Community Team Lead
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,046
# 1 Season 7 Dev Blog #39
02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Lead Content Designer Scott "Goatshark" Shicoff shares details about the fourth Embassy Featured Project in this entry of the Season 7 News Dev Blog series.


Link to the blog.
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 702
# 2
02-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Yea... I always thought this room didnt make much sense for an Embassy... it still doesnt... but atleast as a room it will make sense now...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,447
# 3
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
These projects need to grant base XP. I'm in a larger fleet and there seems to be discord over whether we'll even do them.

Usually what seems to happen from my POV is that the Fleet Leader forbids anyone from doing the special cosmetic projects and then someone else queues them up behind his back and finishes them and we get griping about how we can get dilithium for these but not enough for the regular projects, which linger for days with nothing left needed for them except dilithium.

Either attach XP to the cosmetic projects or shift them over to eat fleet credits instead of dilithium.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 855
# 4
02-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amayakitsune View Post
Yea... I always thought this room didnt make much sense for an Embassy... it still doesnt... but atleast as a room it will make sense now...
I'm assuming Cryptic is taking reference from the episode 'The Andorian Incident'. Where a seemingly peaceful Vulcan monastery, was secretly designed as a subspace listening post, in order to spy on their 'violent' Andorian neighbours.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...dent_(episode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Either attach XP to the cosmetic projects or shift them over to eat fleet credits instead of dilithium.
Can't disagree here. 200k Dilithium is a rather large sum, for something that is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade. Some form of Fleet Starbase/Embassy XP should be awarded in the very least, and i'd whole-heartedly support the usage of Fleet Credit -instead of- Dilithium. Or atleast, reduce the Dilithium cost, and add a Fleet Credit cost to compensate.

Last edited by meurik; 02-26-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,447
# 5
02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meurik View Post
I'm assuming Cryptic is taking reference from the episode 'The Andorian Incident'. Where a seemingly peaceful Vulcan monastery, was secretly designed as a subspace listening post, in order to spy on their 'violent' Andorian neighbours.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...dent_(episode)



Can't disagree here. 200k Dilithium is a rather large sum, for something that is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade. Some form of Fleet Starbase/Embassy XP should be awarded in the very least, and i'd whole-heartedly support the usage of Fleet Credit -instead of- Dilithium. Or atleast, reduce the Dilithium cost, and add a Fleet Credit cost to compensate.
The thing with a fleet credit cost is that it's still basically a dilithium cost because that's how most of your fleet credits get earned in a massive fleet and if there are other worthwhile things to spend fleet credits on, the person is going to focus on getting more dilithium to get more fleet credits.

But direct dilithium cost gets contentious because it interferes with fleet projects whereas fleet credit cost would only interfere with personal goals.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 855
# 6
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
The thing with a fleet credit cost is that it's still basically a dilithium cost because that's how most of your fleet credits get earned in a massive fleet and if there are other worthwhile things to spend fleet credits on, the person is going to focus on getting more dilithium to get more fleet credits.

But direct dilithium cost gets contentious because it interferes with fleet projects whereas fleet credit cost would only interfere with personal goals.
I have 400k+ Fleet Credits currently accumulated on my main, which I have no current use for. I've got all the Advanced Fleet Weapons I want, outfitted my Bridge Officers in their own Fleet Weapons, Armors and Shields. At current, I have no further use for Fleet Credits. I would love to spend some of that on something that benefits my Fleet.
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,675
# 7
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
{Sigh} 200K Dilithium for another cosmetic "project" that brings no new functionality to the table.

It's pretty and all, but it's just too much.

I agree with Leviathan that this would make more sense as a Fleet Credit cost. Either that, or lower the Dil cost, or add some real functionality to these things that makes them worth the cost.

I guess some folks must be shelling out the Dilithium for these, or they wouldn't do them?

I can only guess that these are for large fleets that are starved for Fleet Credits. I can't imagine any other good reason to keep doing these.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,069
# 8
02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I like how people invest in decorations for a map which is in a area rarely used (even more rare if your fleet is small).I have a toon in one of the biggest fleets in game and the embassy is the most private place in the game after my bridge lol.

a good 200,000 dilithium project would be "move all stores from embassy on fleet base".
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 702
# 9
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I can only guess that these are for large fleets that are starved for Fleet Credits. I can't imagine any other good reason to keep doing these.
Or perhaps that people just like things that look pretty?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,447
# 10
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
{Sigh} 200K Dilithium for another cosmetic "project" that brings no new functionality to the table.

It's pretty and all, but it's just too much.

I agree with Leviathan that this would make more sense as a Fleet Credit cost. Either that, or lower the Dil cost, or add some real functionality to these things that makes them worth the cost.

I guess some folks must be shelling out the Dilithium for these, or they wouldn't do them?

I can only guess that these are for large fleets that are starved for Fleet Credits. I can't imagine any other good reason to keep doing these.
There may be large fleets that are starved for fleet credits but Stahl himself said large fleets tend to be dilithium starved. This doesn't improve that situation. It just creates conflict between fleet members who care about progress and fleet members who care about cosmetics because you'll have regular projects go unfilled when somebody queues up these and contributes 200k. Then the fleet leadership will say, "But we just need 80k to finish out our standard projects and it took us six weeks to get the 2 million for the embassy upgrade! Where did the 200k for this come from?"
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.