Starfleet Veteran
Hey there.

So, we have the uniforms, and they are divided into many different parts, with most things not combineable. If I got it right, it's Cryptic (CBS?) saying it "would break Immersion". Thus the clothing options remain restricted, others completely unavailable to players, think of Bikinis.
However many people want to mix available clothing. They are sad that restrictions exist and combinations they consider great, aren't doable. I had these problems myself a number of times and am unhappy as well. But still there is the restriction of having the border of ST-immersion.
Somewhere it was mentioned that players shouldn't run around in Bikinis in STFs and other missions (this would be Immersion-breaking), and that's why those aren't implemented and Off-Duty-wear is restricted. However there would be a quite easy solution that I hope the responsible persons consider: Give out a 1%-penalty to skills for every single Off-Duty-piece of clothing.
And this is how it would work:
Completely remove every border that the tailors have atm. Tag every Off-Duty-clothing with an "OD-" or a similar identification. Now when on the ground you won't have any penalty. But as soon as there is a "Red Alert"-situation (you are attacked, not really Red Alert, but that's what standing on top of the screen), the penalty automatically applies. You are debuffed for not wearing a proper uniform.
Now there are a few problems. First of all some people entirely use Off-Duty-clothing, even during missions. These are the only people that really would have to change their clothing because of such a system.
Sometimes "Red Alert"-situations aren't really "Red Alert"-situations, e.g. Q's Winter Wonderland. You are fighting snowmen, throwing snowballs. Also you are on a map that's never ever canon or Immersion but a fun event for every player (not that it is that bad, isn't it? ). Obviously, such maps should be excluded from the penalty-system. In general the rule could be like "every item you activate that's useful for real fighting will trigger the penalty". This would also exclude the "Party Poppers" and other fun items.

That's about it. This system could be very helpful for those people wanting more clothing possibilities. Also this would sort of make uniforms obligated for doing STFs and other ground missions, helping for a better Immersion especially in combat situations.
So say, what you think.
Greetings
Silverman
Career Officer
# 2
07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Yes, please there are some off duty stuff that would look great on my pirate crew and captain but they are off duty, and even on my Federation side there are some off duty items that would make interesting uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-11-2013, 12:47 PM
How about programming certain restrictions on certain items to protect immersion? Or making clothing requirements mission specific?

In ST, whenever any "senior officers to the bridge" sort of situation comes up, senior officers need to drop everything and report to the bridge, even if they are wearing their Holodeck Sherlock Holmes costumes.

Most missions I've encountered in STO so far seen like they should require uniform.

"Everything will be fine now, folks, Starfleet is here! No need to thank us, we are here to serve."

There could be other missions, though, where you might want to be less noticeable or it doesn't matter (maybe you are undercover, or officially off duty but really working). However, there should still be something in the game that tells you, no, you cannot beam down in beachwear.
Risa Beach Bum

Last edited by javaman1969; 07-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I don't understand this concept of 'immersion'. It's an MMO, by nature, you're not immersed in this perfect, consistent world you're sharing it with hundreds of others. If people want to fight the borg while wearing a bikini, what business is that of yours? You can wear armor if you want.

People do lots of things with their character that irrtate me. Constantly seeing 7' tall people running around with ridiculously overbuff physiques is ridiculous, a vast majority of 'Alien' characters look stupid, people who even use uniforms still make them pink and bright green... Immersion is nowhere in this game, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Open up the costume options for everything, for everyone. Putting gates on costume content will not stop players from looking stupid and breaking 'immersion', it will only limit the choices of everyone.
Captain
# 5
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Open up all faction costumes to everyone in this faction is a good idea. Penalizing people for their choice of costume is a bad one.

Seriously, STO isn't an immersive game by it's very nature. It's an MMO, one that's badly represents the source material it's based on and even contradicts it's own storyline for the sake of new payships - that's STO. Let people run around the way they want. When I play I see maybe three or four characters wearing "proper" uniform - the rest looks like deformed japanese manga characters and bleched orion women (since people want to play naked human girls, not green aliens).
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azniadeet View Post
I don't understand this concept of 'immersion'. It's an MMO, by nature, you're not immersed in this perfect, consistent world you're sharing it with hundreds of others. If people want to fight the borg while wearing a bikini, what business is that of yours? You can wear armor if you want.

People do lots of things with their character that irrtate me. Constantly seeing 7' tall people running around with ridiculously overbuff physiques is ridiculous, a vast majority of 'Alien' characters look stupid, people who even use uniforms still make them pink and bright green... Immersion is nowhere in this game, and you shouldn't expect it to be.

Open up the costume options for everything, for everyone. Putting gates on costume content will not stop players from looking stupid and breaking 'immersion', it will only limit the choices of everyone.
As per all the 7 foot tall characters all dressed up for an anime swordfight in Earth Spacedock, I agree your irritation and find this ridiculous enough that I've been even been thinking of dedicating a thread just to this.

But, your greater point is well taken.
Risa Beach Bum
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-11-2013, 03:02 PM
This tread is another aspect of the raging debate on the boards over the balance between giving players enough freedom to have fun and keeping it true enough to the Star Trek fictional universe that the game's title has meaning. This includes what ships should be T5, the number of exploratory missions, how the different factions are played, etc.
Understanding that the trekieness of the people playing this game is variable, for my own gaming, I prefer to play in the world of a more traditional sort of Starfleet officer.
Risa Beach Bum