Captain
# 31
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurie666 View Post
Those arn't facts. They are you opinions.
Ok... so go and load up TOR f2p and see how long you wait for a PvP pop in a game that still has 10x the population of this one.

Or go over to the Rift Forums... and see how many new posts there are in there PvP section. lol

Are they opinions... sure they are. All I will say is... the developers of both those titles agree with me. lol They both back tracked on there PvP item systems... one of the TOR devs that I had a good relationship with in the beta, told me himself that they had wished they hadn't itemized PvP at all, but there was no going back now.

So far Cryptic has been wise (ok they have neglected and its turned out well)... to leave Pvp rep systems that grant unique rewards out of the game. (ok they did have PvP merits at one time... but the gear wasn't better then the pve gear)

I hope they don't ever make the mistake of creating a PvP reputation system. Honestly It is my OPINION. That there is no way to pull it off... the Cons far out weigh the Pros.

If Cryptic wants to drive PvP... supporting things like boot camp is the way to go.

Bort also recently talked about the ability to play with some game elements in PvP only.

I hope Bort and the Cryptic team takes a long look at one of there strongest competitors right now from ANet... and perhaps on a smaller scale implement some of there ideas. I would love to see a PvP game in STO... where PvE reputation systems are simply shut off. They can use such a system to hinder power creep in PvP... and allow the PvE people to keep all there toys with no worries about a PvP outcry for a nerf.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 32
02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
With the right incentive players would be attracted to pvp. Your opinions tend to be very drab and dim. I, on the other hand, have high hopes for the future of STO and especially pvp.
I have very high hopes for STO pvp... go look at the boot camp section and see all the new players that want to play. They want to get better... and they are getting some guidance from long time STO pvp players... that I think makes all the difference.

New players in older PvP games tend to not stick around if they don't get support. New players in general don't do well in an existing game.... that's normal. I have jumped into games 6 months after launch and had to pay some painful dues for a few weeks till I completely understood the subtleties of the game.

I think we can all understand however that someone with less MMO xp... and with out someone encouraging them to play and improve, would simply move on.

We don't need a rep system bringing in more barriers to new players.

My opinions may seem drab to you... however I want people PvPing for the right reasons. Not for a shiny carrot.
Captain
# 33
02-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Different people PvP for different reasons... what appeals to A may not appeal to B and C.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Commander
# 34 o.o
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
To the victor go the spoils. If I compete and win I expect some reward to attach to my victory. This isn't real life where I can win the respect of another paintball player on the field and have that feeling and new friendship sustain me. This is a video game and I want my loot.
Empire Veteran
# 35
02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
To the victor go the spoils. If I compete and win I expect some reward to attach to my victory. This isn't real life where I can win the respect of another paintball player on the field and have that feeling and new friendship sustain me. This is a video game and I want my loot.
If your incentive is loot, then you are playing for the wrong reason.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Commander
# 36 o.o
02-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
If your incentive is loot, then you are playing for the wrong reason.
The loot is my glorious trophy. A symbol of my triumph over a digital enemy. When I compete for sport I do it in the real world, but here I am a golden clad warrior covered in the spoils of war.
Once upon a time this was my charecter http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e0f40f7.jpg He was clad in pvp armor and I sported it as a sign that I am a pvp player. It was more than powerfull loot it was a badge of honor to me.

Last edited by akurie666; 02-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Captain
# 37
02-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
There is a difference between getting rewarded and being rewarded with stuff to help you further beat down the next guy.

If you where the type of guy that honestly wanted each victory to be a victory. You wouldn't want to be rewarded OP toys.

If you find kills with less and less challenge rewarding... well good for you I guess.

I would prefer to not be given passives or items that make me stronger in PvP for winning it.

I want my last victory to be as hard fought as my first. Frankly with the current skill gap in this game very few victories involve any real effort. They can keep rep bonuses... I'll keep quing up with purposely oddly built ships to try to find some challenge in this game.
Captain
# 38
02-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Quote:
The loot is my glorious trophy. A symbol of my triumph over a digital enemy. When I compete for sport I do it in the real world, but here I am a golden clad warrior covered in the spoils of war.
Once upon a time this was my charecter http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4e0f40f7.jpg He was clad in pvp armor and I sported it a a sign that I am a pvp player. It was more than powerfull loot it was a badge of honor to me.
So you want titles.... OK OK

Why didn't you say so.

Ya I can get behind Titles. lmao

No pvp armor is a way of saying... I have spent 100s of hours playing this game... so I now deserve a bonus vs you... or at least that is the way pvp gear has always worked everywhere else. lol
Commander
# 39
02-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
So you want titles.... OK OK

Why didn't you say so.

Ya I can get behind Titles. lmao

No pvp armor is a way of saying... I have spent 100s of hours playing this game... so I now deserve a bonus vs you... or at least that is the way pvp gear has always worked everywhere else. lol
You have no concept of true competition. I can see that now.
Captain
# 40
02-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
You have no concept of true competition. I can see that now.
lol yes that must be the answer.

Hey everything you said you wanted can be accomplished with titles.

We should ask for that... I bet they could get it into the next patch.

I am not honestly sure how asking for better gear every time you win makes the game more challenging for you, on every subsequent battle. lol

Sorry but you are sounding more and more like the gear kids that are so fun to beat up in those other games... they rage so wonderfully when they loose.