Captain
# 31
02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Bugs can mutate but I would suspect there's a possibility that alien bacteria and viruses having evolved on a different world in a different environment would find nothing compatible to feed on, on Earth. Our bugs affect us because they have been with us for millions of years mutating and adapting to take advantage of human biochemistry in ways that our natural defenses can't cope with we share a common genetic ancestry, an alien bug wouldn't have that advantage.
Ensign
# 32
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
To paraphrase Michio Kaku, any civilization that has advanced to the point of intelligence is most likely a predatory one, due to the drives to compete and advance being a predatory species would inspire. Thus, if they show up at our door, they're probably not going to be friendly. Also, if they have the technology to cross interstellar distances any conflict between us and them would be over before it had begun. Our only way of striking orbital target is through really slow (compared to their technology) chemical rockets. Chemical rockets with nukes on the end, but chemical rockets none the less.

On the flipside, to paraphrase Neal deGrass Tyson, we are the most intelligent species on our planet. We don't have in-depth meaningful conversations with the other species on our planet (ie dolphins, elephants, other simians). Any alien culture arriving here might take a look at us, shrug and leave, saying, "Too bad there isn't any intelligent life here."

To a species capable of the technology of traveling interstellar distance, we may be as intelligent in comparison as apes are to us. "Here's their smartest individual! He can do advanced astrophysics in his head! Isn't that precious?"

In all honesty though, I really think if/when we ever get past the Oort Cloud and out into interstellar space on our own, we'll find a series of beacons broadcasting outward in Binary. The message? "Don't Feed The Bears."

We evolved from a tribal, violent, predatory species and we're really not that far from that caveman sitting in the dark, looking to whack the other caveman over the head and take his stuff. Our clubs have just gotten more advanced is all.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravanche View Post
To paraphrase Michio Kaku, any civilization that has advanced to the point of intelligence is most likely a predatory one, due to the drives to compete and advance being a predatory species would inspire. Thus, if they show up at our door, they're probably not going to be friendly. Also, if they have the technology to cross interstellar distances any conflict between us and them would be over before it had begun. Our only way of striking orbital target is through really slow (compared to their technology) chemical rockets. Chemical rockets with nukes on the end, but chemical rockets none the less.

On the flipside, to paraphrase Neal deGrass Tyson, we are the most intelligent species on our planet. We don't have in-depth meaningful conversations with the other species on our planet (ie dolphins, elephants, other simians). Any alien culture arriving here might take a look at us, shrug and leave, saying, "Too bad there isn't any intelligent life here."

To a species capable of the technology of traveling interstellar distance, we may be as intelligent in comparison as apes are to us. "Here's their smartest individual! He can do advanced astrophysics in his head! Isn't that precious?"

In all honesty though, I really think if/when we ever get past the Oort Cloud and out into interstellar space on our own, we'll find a series of beacons broadcasting outward in Binary. The message? "Don't Feed The Bears."

We evolved from a tribal, violent, predatory species and we're really not that far from that caveman sitting in the dark, looking to whack the other caveman over the head and take his stuff. Our clubs have just gotten more advanced is all.
Interesting post. I really should have asked a follow up question in the OP...do you believe in UFOs?

Because as interesting as alien sci fi stories are, I liked Firefly's take on it, as man spreads out into space, we're pretty much still jerks and there aren't any aliens.
Career Officer
# 34
02-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm sure if aliens openly came to earth today, they would only ask if they could have several decades worth of butt probes back that they had put in some backwater yokels.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Republic Veteran
# 35
02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
If aliens landed here they are most likely lost and scared out of their minds from the primitive locals who can't get a long with each other, and they can't understand why.

Lt. Commander
# 36
03-01-2013, 10:11 PM
There was a comedian (I think it was Cosby, but I could be wrong) who mentioned that if aliens observed the species on our world before making contact, they'd probably end up trying to approach our dogs. His logic was that if you saw two lifeforms walking along, and the one in back kept picking up and throwing away the other one's droppings, who would you think was in charge?

Last edited by janusforbeare; 03-01-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
03-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I thin kit'll go along the lines of....

Day 1: Alien ship hovers over the white house

Day 2:

People: Oh no, we've seen the movie kill it now!
Us President: Save the economy
Military: pew pew pew pew

Day 3:

People: da fuk is my bus?
Us President: i saved the world from alienz
military: ******* ^^
Captain
# 38
03-01-2013, 11:45 PM
They'd be like Ford Prefect trying to introduce himself to an Austin Mini.
I remember a short story a while back of a group of aliens landing on the Whitehouse lawn and handing the President a message in some obscure language that when translated turned out to be a fine for littering due to all of the satellites that had been sent out into space.
Seriously I'll stick to what I said before, if they are coming here, they want something.
We could hope that a benevolent race, knowing of some approaching disaster be it natural or man made, would come to intercede, but why would they do that unless they needed something from us? A home? Natural resources? A work force? Food?
Being human it worries me what an encounter would be like with an advanced race that thinks like humans, if they are anything like us, we would be in serious trouble, in fact we would be doomed.
Captain
# 39
03-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Depends on what they look like. We expect aliens to look nothing like us or any animal that can be found. However, it will be interesting what theories come out if aliens look just like us.

Assuming the aliens are friendly and willing to part their vast knowledge of the universe to us, then the natural evolution of our civilization will no longer exist. All technology and culture that we develop would be severely influenced by the alien's arrival. We might even come to the point where the pursuit of knowledge is now completely meaningless. Why bother doing important scientific research when some other race has already done it?
Captain
# 40
03-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Occam's Razor, the simplest solution to a problem is the one nature is going to choose, you only need 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for sound localization, etc. Then it's all about the environment the creature evolved in. If they came from an Earth like world then it's not unlikely that they will look something like us, but if they came from somewhere with a different environment, they might look very different.