Rihannsu
# 31
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordagamemnonb5 View Post
What does Cryptic do with all tha money they make (not using it to fix bugs, that's for sure ).
Coffee makers, Coffee cups, coffee, bottled water, water coolers, refrigerators, microwave ovens, desks, desktop computers, cubicle pieces, keyboards, mice, monitors, servers, electricity, light bulbs, paper, pens, network connections, network jacks, network cables, power cables, chairs, benches, building rents, spare hard drives, NAS, plastic utensils, phones, phones jacks, phone systems, phone lines, salaries, wages, taxes, tips, trash cans, trash can liners, water, bathroom cleaners, janitors, coders, programmers, artists, secretaries, typists, folders, notepads, pencils, sound recording equipment, microphones, speaker phones, email servers, email storage, storage closets, wiring closets, wiring, tables, etc etc etc...
Career Officer
# 32
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Surely its better to have 1 game of great quality then 10 mediocre games, don't you think? There still is a need for a lot of development for this game.
It'd be great for the players not so great for Cryptic. Their desire to be a manufacturing ine for MMOs is one reason I plan to stay away from anything else they produce.
Captain
# 33
02-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
It'd be great for the players not so great for Cryptic. Their desire to be a manufacturing ine for MMOs is one reason I plan to stay away from anything else they produce.
Is there something preventing you and your friends from creating that one perfect game and footing the cost of development and operation yourselves so that we can all play 100% free of any fees?
Career Officer
# 34
02-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Abandoning it for Neverwinter would mean fewer employees and lost audience. That argument has never made any sense to me.

Besides, why would you worry about PWE's most successful name in North America (STO) when CO is probably on much tinner ice.

And on the whole, Cryptic doesn't want to focus on one game. They have two more in the works for after Neverwinter. They want as many games as possible.
To expand on this thought, Cryptic initially designed their game engine to be modular. The same basic game engine runs Champions, Star Trek, and Neverwinter.

The advantage to this, and something that's been talked about/seen more in Champions than here as of now, is that development on the engine in one game can often times be ported to other games running on the engine. Because of that, we're likely to benefit from some of the new systems being developed for Neverwinter, as is Champions.

So, not only has the Star Trek team increased in size, the new team of developers working on the Neverwinter version of the engine are starting to incorporate their own ideas and fresh takes into the engine, which effectively increases development on other games running on the engine as well.
Rihannsu
# 35
02-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird001 View Post
Surely its better to have 1 game of great quality then 10 mediocre games, don't you think? There still is a need for a lot of development for this game.
What happens to Cryptic when that one quality game finally becomes a passing fad that fades off into oblivion because not enough players bother to even log in?

There will always be a "need" or room for development in any MMO. The major issue that developers face is providing enough interest to consumers to maintain the profitability line.

Once the interest falls below a certain profitability level, it's not financially sound to invest any more time or effort to try to maintain interest in the product.
Career Officer
# 36
02-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
FYI, Stahl mentionned two different possibilities after lockboxes:
- new factions, which means new fleets, new fleet ships, new c-store ships, costumes, lockboxes sells because you want your Roluman temporal destroyer, and so on.
- improving lockboxes. He said that in an interview recently. While I'm not sure it's a good idea, because it means that they will introduce even more powerful stuff with power creep issues, it's in the works.
I don't know about that second bullet point. I read/listened to (I don't remember which) the same interview, and recall getting the impression that he was talking about improving the overall quality of what comes in a lockbox, not necessarily making the grand prize better. It seemed like the logic was if there's less worthless crap in the lockboxes, more people will get the keys to open them.

I could very well be wrong, but I think that that statement was open to interpretation, and that's the way that it struck me.
Career Officer
# 37
02-28-2013, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkkindness2 View Post
To expand on this thought, Cryptic initially designed their game engine to be modular. The same basic game engine runs Champions, Star Trek, and Neverwinter.

The advantage to this, and something that's been talked about/seen more in Champions than here as of now, is that development on the engine in one game can often times be ported to other games running on the engine. Because of that, we're likely to benefit from some of the new systems being developed for Neverwinter, as is Champions.

So, not only has the Star Trek team increased in size, the new team of developers working on the Neverwinter version of the engine are starting to incorporate their own ideas and fresh takes into the engine, which effectively increases development on other games running on the engine as well.
Exactly. Part of how they increase their returns on Neverwinter is by making money off of STO using Neverwinter advances, in theory.

In practice, porting stuff seems to me to be almost more trouble than it's worth and I'd almost like to see the individual games hit a point of maturity where the only code branch mergers are stability/performance related while the focus is on merchandise, service, and content.

But I'd wager we have a very good shot at getting all the emotes and character animations from Neverwinter at least and I believe our Shooter Mode was basically a gigantic Neverwinter beta feature.

I wish we had an advanced Foundry tab like they get. Their costume editor is OMG awesomesauce. It makes me want to apply for a Cryptic job just to play with the full character tool in Champs or STO. I'd have some crazy side projects if I did content.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
The problem is, with them releasing more powerful stuff in a lockbox, through random chance... such powerful items will become needed to play the game and compete with other players. Showing that powerful weapons/items etc are not earned like they are in most MMO's, they are simply bought and down to luck...

Thats one of my main concerns.
Career Officer
# 39
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellabor View Post
They can make lock boxes and make stuff for the C-Store, they can have their cake and eat it too....so why won't they? Lock boxes aren't going anywhere, it's too big a cash cow for them.
I believe they do make stuff for both. I've got a Temporal Destroyer (still in crate) and the new Andorian ships (C-Store).
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
I thought the point of all paid gear was supposed to be optional? The Reputation system somewhat blurs the line of normally achievable and paid gear.