Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Commander
# 11
02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
The wide angle launcher is almost a must have on cruisers IMO....adds a lot of punch to your broadsides, since it allows you to hit with torps while still keeping 7 beams on target.
Republic Veteran
# 12
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Wide Angle is fantastic, I don't use anything else on Cruisers. Plus, getting the Regent will pave the way for the Imperial for only one fleet module (plus the shipyard access), which is possibly the best cruiser for feds.
Ensign
# 13
02-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Regarding the Assault Cruiser refit, aside from the modules, what sets it apart from the mirror assault? I have the latter, and I've been studying the wiki and I really don't see much of a difference. A slight shuffling of BO slots and power, and that's about it.

Did I miss something?
Lieutenant
# 14
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Mirror Assault Cruiser has 200 more crew. And uses the Star Cruiser appearance.

http://www.stowiki.org/Mirror_Universe_Assault_Cruiser
Ensign
# 15
02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
What I'm seeing is that there's no substantial reason to spend real dollars on a ship that's virtually identical to one that's cheap on the exchange, unless (as you point out), looks are an issue.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Lieutenant
# 16
02-28-2013, 03:03 PM
smokeybacon90 - that's where my line of thinking was as well, using it as a stepping stone to get the Fleet version (when my fleet gets to tier 5 that is) and for the Wide Angle Launcher.

As far as Sci consoles are concerned, are their consoles that I should be using other than the Field Generators?

thanks!
Rihannsu
# 17
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeph View Post
What I'm seeing is that there's no substantial reason to spend real dollars on a ship that's virtually identical to one that's cheap on the exchange, unless (as you point out), looks are an issue.

Thanks,

-Jeff
You are not seeing.

There are two ships, the Assault Cruiser and the Assault Cruiser Retrofit.

The Assault Cruiser is a free RA ship, the Assault Cruiser Retrofit is a Zen Store VA ship.

Also the differences are not just having a console and a weapon, the Retrofit have a Lt. Cmdr Tac station instead of a Lt. Tac station as it loses the Lt. Cmdr Eng station for a Lt. Eng station, it also comes with a Lt. Uni station instead of it being a Lt. Sci station, in bonus power the Retrofit comes with +10 to weapons, +5 to shields and +5 to Aux as the Assault Cruiser comes with the typical cruiser +5 to all.

The Assault Cruiser Retrofit finally became a option over the Excelsior Refit that was the Tactical Fed Cruiser before.

The Mirror version is very much the free RA ship, not the Zen Store ship.
Ensign
# 18
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
+20 power is +20 power. I'll just move the sliders around.

Trading lt. cmdr this for lt. cmdr that (etc) is just shuffling things around unless you have a very specific purpose in mind. Granted, a universal is better than a sci-slot, but on a ship with 2 tac and 2 eng a sci slot is not a bad choice.

Basically, it boils down to the consoles and looks. Everybody swears by the wide torps, but i'm not sure that's worth 2500 to me.

-Jeff
Rihannsu
# 19
02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeph View Post
+20 power is +20 power. I'll just move the sliders around.
Yes and no.

Bonus allows you to bypass the 100 limit meaning energy weapons gets a bit more power, you can play with power slides but bonus power does affect how fast things recharge on their own.

Quote:
Trading lt. cmdr this for lt. cmdr that (etc) is just shuffling things around unless you have a very specific purpose in mind.
No, its not.

BO3 is Lt. Cmdr rank, HY3 is a Lt. Cmdr rank and AP:O1 is a Lt. Cmdr rank.
A Lt. Cmdr is what given the Excelsior refit preference over the Assault Cruiser despite the Excelsior refit only having a Lt. Cmdr rank Tac station because its 3 Tac abilities were better that the Assault Cruiser 3 Tac abilities.

Quote:
Granted, a universal is better than a sci-slot, but on a ship with 2 tac and 2 eng a sci slot is not a bad choice.
Thats not really relevant since to me the major issue with the Assault Cruiser was its inferior tactical layout despite "technically" being equal to the Excelsior refit.

The reality was the Excelsior refit could hit with a stronger punch since a Lt. Cmdr station certainly does not equal to a Ensign station.

Quote:
Basically, it boils down to the consoles and looks. Everybody swears by the wide torps, but i'm not sure that's worth 2500 to me.
I dont own it because I dont want to shell 2500 for it either but this is because I did set up my Tactical Odyssey into something I like and only one my characters use it, the others have other ships.

However I did pointed out the Mirror Universe Star Cruiser is based on the Assault Cruiser, not on the Assault Cruiser refit that are different ships even if only slightly so the BO changes did put the Assault Cruiser refit on pair with the Excelsior Refit if not surpassing it.

So your choices about the Mirror Universe Star Cruiser is free ship(?)* and free ship, the refit is superior as the only Fed Cruiser with a stronger tactical layout that the Assault Cruiser refit is one of the pack Odyssey using its Universal stations for that and still the Fleet Assault Cruiser have 4 Tactical Consoles (and so does the Fleet Excelsior).

*not exactly free because someone had to use a key to open a lockbox and that means someone spend Zen on it, does not matter if the key come from the Exchange, someone had to buy it with Zen in the first place.

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 02-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Captain
# 20
02-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapievo View Post
smokeybacon90 - that's where my line of thinking was as well, using it as a stepping stone to get the Fleet version (when my fleet gets to tier 5 that is) and for the Wide Angle Launcher.

As far as Sci consoles are concerned, are their consoles that I should be using other than the Field Generators?

thanks!
The Field gens are very much fine (also are they the most expensive sci consoles, afaik). If you really wanted to test stuff out, I guess you could get one shield regen console (+ to natural shield regen) or the Shield emitter console (+ to any shield heals you use).

I've stayed with the Field generators so far, personally

As far as "torp/wide arc torp/no torp" disscussions go, I've been lately having success with no torp at all and using the kinetic Cutting beam in its place. While it's also draining wep power (unlike torps, hence one reason for their usage on a beamboat), the proc you get while using it with another piece of its Adapted omega set (including the Assimilated console) offsets that drain better than I previously thought.

Also, even though the Wide arc quantum can be fired from broadsides, it can't, like the Cutting beam, be fired everywhere around your ship. Sometimes it just helps to have this fifth weapon on a target if you're just flying towards it (or run from it and have it in a forward slot).

Still, if you prefer having a torp, the Wide arc quantum is the one to use on a (broadsiding) cruiser, I still keep it on some builds.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!

Last edited by toiva; 02-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.