Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Rihannsu
After thinking on this for quite some time.. I've begun to wonder, do Dual cannons and Dual Heavy Cannons REALLY have the same "DPS" as they list in their Tool tips?

Obviously we know from experience that the Dual Heavy Cannons out shine Dual Cannons because:

1: Their Damage is up front and not over time.
2: The Weapon power drain effects Dual Cannons more because of how many shots are fired compared to Dual Heavy Cannons.

So, this makes me wonder, do they still do the same DPS? And if not, perhaps that is something that could be labeled in the Bug area since Dual Cannons are not performing as they should?

As most of you know, I'm not a numbers and data gatherer. It's just not my specialty. How ever if some one else, dev or other wise, wanted to gather and show that data, it might prove useful to find out if there really is something wrong with Dual Heavy Cannons vs. Dual Cannons, perhaps even leading to a way to make them more viable then they obviously are now..
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Captain
# 2
02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeath View Post
After thinking on this for quite some time.. I've begun to wonder, do Dual cannons and Dual Heavy Cannons REALLY have the same "DPS" as they list in their Tool tips?

Obviously we know from experience that the Dual Heavy Cannons out shine Dual Cannons because:

1: Their Damage is up front and not over time.
2: The Weapon power drain effects Dual Cannons more because of how many shots are fired compared to Dual Heavy Cannons.

So, this makes me wonder, do they still do the same DPS? And if not, perhaps that is something that could be labeled in the Bug area since Dual Cannons are not performing as they should?

As most of you know, I'm not a numbers and data gatherer. It's just not my specialty. How ever if some one else, dev or other wise, wanted to gather and show that data, it might prove useful to find out if there really is something wrong with Dual Heavy Cannons vs. Dual Cannons, perhaps even leading to a way to make them more viable then they obviously are now..
Actually their is a single occasion where DHCs are outperformed by DCs.

DEM active with Nadion Inversion active.

But yeah DCs could be removed tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781
Captain
# 3
02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Should notice that for many things, they have similar DPS but varying DPV. Were I to hazard a guess, I'd say that the DPS numbers being similar comes from a naked system. Once you add in skills, abilities, consoles, etc, etc, etc - the DPS numbers become a lie...so to speak...just because of the way damage is modified.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 4
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
If you haven't used DC in awhile....

Install your Cutting beam

Install your regular DC...

And be amazed at how they shred stuff up.

Thanks to mini nadion... the dual cannons are more then usable.

They pair well with glider, dem and honestly even the proc rate is pretty crazy... the power issues that made them suck before can be removed now with gear.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 5
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post

They pair well with glider, dem and honestly even the proc rate is pretty crazy... the power issues that made them suck before can be removed now with gear.
Interesting. Another avenue for me to test..... If your in game later, i'll quiz you more about this.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2013, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post

Aren't procs based on weapon cycles rather than hits?
Captain
# 7
02-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by this1isavailable View Post
Aren't procs based on weapon cycles rather than hits?
Right and DC cycle twice as fast... its why DHC get the 10% crtd bonus... because DC get twice the proc rate.

OR perhaps they don't its hard to understand anything happening with the stupid weapons power returns these days.

If that is how it is supposed to work (that the proc is the same) then something is way off cause they indeed proc twice as often... I have had as many as 4 Mini Nadion procs stacked up on the Andorian ship with 5 dc.
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-28-2013, 02:44 AM
i tried dcs like a month back, thinking that with a torp they would reliably keep a faceing down for torps to hit. instead, they never took facings down at all. they have more in common with beam arrays then DHCs
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 9
02-28-2013, 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
i tried dcs like a month back, thinking that with a torp they would reliably keep a faceing down for torps to hit. instead, they never took facings down at all. they have more in common with beam arrays then DHCs
Did you have a Cutting beam on out of curiosity ?
Career Officer
# 10
02-28-2013, 03:43 AM
DC fire 4 shots and drain 10 per volley, to infer it's -10 per shot means my 3DCs would be draining (3*4)*10 = 120....including my aft weapons I'd be having minus weapons power so mathematically you can't have -10 per shot.

DC drain less but lack the 10% severity whereas the DHC have the 10% crit severity but drain 12.

Some procs from what I've seen are per shot so DCs will win in that regard having twice as many chances to score a successful hit and thus trigger the proc. By definition then all the procs in your tooltip for a given weapon should be 'per volley' but procs like the targeting assault from the reputation system are per hit. Didn't write the maths down but I did perform the tests but have been using DC for some time though may go back to DHC just to compare actual combat data.
Kirk's Protege - 19/11/2012
Kirk's Protege Jr - 30/05/2014
[1/5 5:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 964780 (1581938) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.