Captain
With the STO Gateway being in testing stages , and with many requests to make Doffing available on a mobile platform I'm asking this question because right now one of the elements of Doffing is going to where a Doff assignment is available -- be that in a specific sector or a specific place on your ship .

Your movement toward where a specific Doff mission takes place has an importance in the game .

How do you see this movement translated into a mobile app ?
Would you like a movement "ETA" timer built into the app so you'd have to wait until certain sectors become available ?
Would you like all the assignments available for a certain minimal surcharge in EC or Dil ?

Other ideas ?
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Career Officer
# 2
03-04-2013, 06:21 AM
that is the one big question isn't it?

i think we can all agree that seeing only the assignments of the sector you are currently in wouldn't be very useful.

The Department Heads would surely be available, but their special projects?
I think that should be preserved for when you can actually beam to your Bridge.

it should not matter if you play somewhere with your iphone or in front of your PC, there should be no travel cost or travel time.

a timer for switching sectors?

sounds like it makes sense at first glance, but what would you do with your tablet if you have to wait 2 or 5 minutes? you'd start doing other stuff... because you would get bored waiting.
(heck i get bored waiting 2 minutes for an ebay auction to finish and miss it pop sometimes... i have a short attention span, while inside a multi tab browser...)

Timegating Stuff on a *Tablet app* is something that they should really try to avoid or people will get fed up with that tool very fast and stop using it.

I mean, you want to play around with that doff app when you get bored somewhere and don't have access to your STO client, so the priority should be to entertain the user as much as possible with it, not to make him wait for a timer and leave.

If you make me feel like you don't want me to play your game with lots of timegates, then chances are i won't.

I guess if it is less than 30 seconds, like when you are ingame flying at Warp 20 - 30... that could work.

IF i can still press other buttons in the UI in that time.

Maybe they can go one step further and add a Navigation Tab in the Gateway that shows something like the minimap and you could just press where the ship should go and actually auto pilot it there (and when you log back in to STO your ship is where you left it on your tablet).

That could work i guess... but it might be a bit more work than they intend to do for this.

Also i think it would be very good to have an XMPP chat inside the Gateway, so that you can chat with your Fleet or in the DOFFJOBS channel etc. while on your tablet, without the need to find a working XMPP client for your tablet / smartphone software.
Career Officer
# 3
03-04-2013, 06:25 AM
And then there's the consideration of if Cryptic will need to meter/restrict gateway access to the DOFF system in other means.

Being available to access outside of the client would open up the potential for folks to have their own custom web-apps or mobile apps that manage their doffs for them without having the player interact at all.

Not necessarily a big deal, but potentially a problematic one.

My general suggestion would be a limited set of DOFF missions being available through the Gateway that work off a different [read lower] reward scale than in-game.
Career Officer
# 4
03-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Solely shipboard doff missions.
----
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-04-2013, 06:38 AM
I could see it running on a different pool of assignments using different rules, rather than dealing with sector limitations. For example, rather than worrying about your current location in space, the gateway would give you a pool of 15-20 sector and 5-10 ship assignments from anywhere in the game, and refresh the list on its own timer.

If they wanted to incentivize use of the gateway, this could even be a way to add a few unique assignments or rewards, similar to Mass Effect 3's tie in with the iOS game.
Lieutenant
# 6
03-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Doffing + Gateway isn't going to happened. They said, that they plan to upgrade doff system in next 18 months. Which means nothing new in next year for doffs.