Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 31
02-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
The problem is that decisions that anyone with a shred of common sense
An interesting phrase that, "common sense". It's meant imply that there's a universal set of solutions to a problem. Yet these solutions are always based on biases that, when you look at them, wind up actually being, "What's beneficial for me and my tribe.

This thread is very much this.

Anyway, the Foundry fleetmarks/ dilithium/ explots thing wound up with the devs doing what was best for the game after looking at all of the feedback. The devs stopped participating in that long assed thread when the complaints went from, "This is why this is a problem for me." to "Make me T5 now!"

Folks who can't see that are either blind or part of the second group.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee

Last edited by twg042370; 02-28-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,107
# 32 Great Game
02-28-2013, 11:32 PM
STO is sto, let me state this clearly it has startrek it's when you walk over ESD in HD it's walking true an startrek convention it's all there but it isn't real.

Ok 1 been here from day 1 after the Beta and enjoyed the game ever since, why because it's startrek, even lot off things don't fell trek at all.
But I can feel the love the Devs put into the game despite off the exploration is missing after the launch off DOFF and the launch of getting rid off the endless medals.

But I'm pleased with the game how it is progressed over the years I even became LTS last year because being a F2P wasn't my thing so yes what's common sence.
I think it's wise the Devs keep a sort off distance from us the players.
Because If they would inplement every idea we would suggest the game became unplayable for us players thats one thing I learned about MMO playing as a Dev you have to keep a certain distance.

And to make this game set another step they have to do three steps :

1. Adress the Bugs
2. Give the klingons there storylines Make them seperate from the start
3. Give a bunch off minigames and exploration

With this list complete I hope for another succsesfull year cheers as brandon would say.
People will always critizise the game over and over if you gave them what they want they wine because there is always someting to wine about it's never be good enough.
But on the otherside aldo most players scream and wine it keep the devs on there toes....
Exsample we asked for dominion lockboxes well we have them next what will be next right it's like a fashion show we wear what's on the stand hahaha.

If I might say so I'm verry pleased where the game is going and I wonder where it's going from here on out, I'm thousand % currious about the secret patch that is comming if there is going to be an test date on tribble if there is a prize to win again for testing.
From me to the DEV'S TEAM carry on and suprise us like you done before !!!
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 33
03-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk2390 View Post
STO is sto, let me state this clearly it has startrek it's when you walk over ESD in HD it's walking true an startrek convention it's all there but it isn't real.

Ok 1 been here from day 1 after the Beta and enjoyed the game ever since, why because it's startrek, even lot off things don't fell trek at all.
But I can feel the love the Devs put into the game despite off the exploration is missing after the launch off DOFF and the launch of getting rid off the endless medals.

But I'm pleased with the game how it is progressed over the years I even became LTS last year because being a F2P wasn't my thing so yes what's common sence.
I think it's wise the Devs keep a sort off distance from us the players.
Because If they would inplement every idea we would suggest the game became unplayable for us players thats one thing I learned about MMO playing as a Dev you have to keep a certain distance.

And to make this game set another step they have to do three steps :

1. Adress the Bugs
2. Give the klingons there storylines Make them seperate from the start
3. Give a bunch off minigames and exploration

With this list complete I hope for another succsesfull year cheers as brandon would say.
People will always critizise the game over and over if you gave them what they want they wine because there is always someting to wine about it's never be good enough.
But on the otherside aldo most players scream and wine it keep the devs on there toes....
Exsample we asked for dominion lockboxes well we have them next what will be next right it's like a fashion show we wear what's on the stand hahaha.

If I might say so I'm verry pleased where the game is going and I wonder where it's going from here on out, I'm thousand % currious about the secret patch that is comming if there is going to be an test date on tribble if there is a prize to win again for testing.
From me to the DEV'S TEAM carry on and suprise us like you done before !!!
They will always surprise us methinks. Nice to see another positive comment! Keeping all criticisms positive will make the devs listen more.

People need to understand, that if you had spent thousands of man hours creating and maintaining something as epic as this game, don't spend all your time criticising the Devs. If i built something which i put all my heart and soul into, just for a bunch of random individuals to stand there rubbing their chin spouting negative opinions about it, I would ignore them too. Someone giving an objective neutral opinion is much more useful.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 308
# 34
03-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzanathos View Post

The best ships in the game? Insert coins - get ship. That easy, where is the achievement in that?
Go grind Dilithium for a few C-Store ships, then come back and complain about the lack of achievement.
I consider both my Vesta and my Bortasqu' as tremendous achievements. Especially the Bortasqu' which I bought when the Dilithium for Zen exchange rate was at about 370.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,109
# 35
03-01-2013, 02:31 AM
I've never played another MMO so have no basis for comparrison. I always before played first person shooters and that was about it. I started playing computer games in the mid 1970s when I was around 10 years old. Those games I had to write the code myself from a magazine and save it to cassette tape. Usually they did not work because there was a syntax error in one of the hundreds of lines of code, at first i didn't even know which line, had to go through the whole thing to find a missing ;

Now skip forward 37 years to STO. What I see is an immersive environment so detailed that I can lose myself in it. A wealth of stories from the game and from the players to explore. I see incredible 3D style space combat and wonderful ground maps to explore like New Romulus. I have the chance to fly through space in one of the ships I dreamt of as a child and had models of hanging from my ceiling. On top of all that I can chat with my friends who are working together in a fleet of players building a starbase. What I see is beyond my belief if I imagine travelling back in time and trying to explain this to my ten year old self.

When taken in this context STO for me is the most wonderful game, it has everything in it i could wish for and dream of and as I play I see it improve steadily over the last 3 years.

Of course there are issues, bugs, lines of code with a missing ; but they do not in any way take away from the experience that the Cryptic team have made. I discovered this game also at a dark time in my life and it has quite literally saved me from depression and despair and for that I will be eternally grateful.

STO will continue to improve, it will boldly go where no game has gone before and I dare say I have complete confidence I will be playing this game for a very long time to come.

Cryptic for all their flaws are a remarkable company, such a dedicated and talented small group of people I have seldom seen in any business and I would feel proud if I were working for their company and creating such a superb product.

Ideas and suggestions for improvement are always welcome I am sure and I thank the OP for opening this thread although I agree with almost nothing of what he says. Perhaps I am old and easily pleased, i don't know, what I do know is that STO is the best game I have ever played and I love it.

Last edited by mattjohnsonva; 03-01-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,107
# 36
03-01-2013, 04:06 AM
I played a few MMO's I played even EVE and STWOR but those where not my thing there is everything pay, pay, pay.
I think they ballanced this game quite well compared to other MMO's .
This wonderfull MMO you can choose a bit PAY or GRIND the choise is yours to make....

I payd almost for every ship there is also bought almost every outfit there is not that I realy need it, but I just want to have it.
Short on EC I buy a few keys and I sell it on the exchange and I have plenty EC for that char, But what I said before they may want to update the storylines polish it and get rid of some things like the Azura mission the alcolate thing.

For exsample : Azura Mission

Instead of making it part team part single player mision, make it like this...
You transport over there, then you can select Medical in your Boff system to heal the sick,he go one by one to heal them soon you enter the room and shoot the Orions you give the order to your Medical to tread the sick, when the timer complete's the Coff will stand up then the video where you order them to the transport platform, everything goes to plan as it use to be...
When you reach engineering you can tell your chief to set an force field on the warpcore off the azura. He will walk over the consoles and start repairing the engine with an timer like you see in that tholian mission....
Then the orion pirates beam in you set the order for your tactical officer to do the plasma thing unless you do not have a tactical yet and you are also not a tactical officer you have to shoot them later or if you are tactical you do it your self, if your boff does this there is also a timer involved.

This was my Idea on the azura mission this also feel a bit more startrek to me, I never saw Janeway or Picard say hold on a team is comming soon to help us....
Ok that was ment as a joke ...
But you know what i mean.... It also would be a bit more fun for those who don't like to play in teams or in fleets but if you do you get the job done faster I mean if you do go on this mission with four captain and there is a SCI, ENG, TAC on your team you complete them without your boff's ....

Hope I make some sence.....

Last edited by kirk2390; 03-01-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,918
# 37
03-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspidey2 View Post
Go grind Dilithium for a few C-Store ships, then come back and complain about the lack of achievement.
I consider both my Vesta and my Bortasqu' as tremendous achievements. Especially the Bortasqu' which I bought when the Dilithium for Zen exchange rate was at about 370.
Other people got the same ship you did just by spending cash. That's why it's not a very thrilling achievement.
Career Officer
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 953
# 38
03-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk2390 View Post
This wonderfull MMO you can choose a bit PAY or GRIND the choise is yours to make....
This is a lie.

You can't choose to pay if you could I would've avoided the entire rep grind by paying for it.

One of the major problems with this game from my standpoint is that those who are cash-rich and time-poor cannot access the same content as their time-rich counterparts because there is no option to buy your way out of time costs in this game.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 220
# 39
03-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
What the devs need to do is fit things MORE into an MMO mold. The primary failings of this game come from the attempts to deviate from core MMO concepts, not from the attempts to meet them.

Wow do I disagree with this statement.

The major problems most of the people are complaining about is how STO has turned into a grindfest/second job, the very fundamental of todays MMO. No thank you. Realistically you spend 3 or so hours a day mindlessy doing STFs, patrols. mining and god forbid, Epohhh tagging.

Its WoW with starships, but the ground combats worse. In addition to selling starships, lockboxes and dilithium we're going to get ((Sarcasm.))brand new sockets to equip fantastic new powers and boosts!((/Sarcasm.)) How very fantasy MMO-like.

In case anyone hasn't noticed yet, this game is being shaped in Neverwinters image. Just insert starships and phasers for swords and spells. All of PWEs games follow the same style. Grindfest MMO so frustrating that people will spend money to avoid doing the boring parts, or feed the 'I want it now, now, now.' hunger gnawing at their bones.

There was nothing wrong with the game pre-Season 6. The enemies just needed to be toughened up for the 50's, and add some new missions arcs here and there. Not the complete change to grind 5 currencies if you want to 'Be like Mike' and give your starbase a shiney new FISHTANK. w00t! A FISHTANK!! *insert Snoopy dance here.*

The state of bugs in this game/second job are atrocious. Small bugs good for players morale get fixed because they take '2 minutes'. While game breaking bugs like Red Alerts get left alone for a year. Here's a clue Cryptic. Just disable the entire Red Alert system. We don't have time to grind them along with everything else anyways. This is the only game I'm actually depressed before I log in, and then even more depressed when I log out.

Bah. I started out well, but turned it into a rant. I apologize, You asked how I felt about the game...

My answer is...

Helpless...
Click here to see the true story of the KDF and Cryptic!

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl

Last edited by thebumble; 03-01-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 208
# 40
03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I've never played another MMO so have no basis for comparrison.
Play WoW, EvE, the free-to-play LotRO or even a single player game like TES: Skyrim for a few weeks and tell us if you still think STO is so immersive and detailed that you can lose yourself in it. Granted, those other games have had a lot more time and money invested in them, but STO is still a pretty small MMO, and its instances and frequent loading screens really take away from the immersion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
This is a lie.

You can't choose to pay if you could I would've avoided the entire rep grind by paying for it.

One of the major problems with this game from my standpoint is that those who are cash-rich and time-poor cannot access the same content as their time-rich counterparts because there is no option to buy your way out of time costs in this game.
If you can't spare five minutes a day to activate your reputation projects, MMO's aren't for you.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.