Lt. Commander
# 41
03-01-2013, 07:59 AM
One must wonder what could have or would have been if Atari was never attached to this game in the first place.
Career Officer
# 42
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evendzhar View Post
Play WoW, EvE, the free-to-play LotRO or even a single player game like TES: Skyrim for a few weeks and tell us if you still think STO is so immersive and detailed that you can lose yourself in it. Granted, those other games have had a lot more time and money invested in them, but STO is still a pretty small MMO, and its instances and frequent loading screens really take away from the immersion.
You see I am not interested in those games, with the exception of EvE looking quite interesting, I only came here because it is Star Trek, it's what dragged me away from CoD, Crysis, Half Life etc, they were my games before. You may well be right, perhaps I would like EvE better but I have neither the time nor the inclination and for me STO is all I need.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 43
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Other people got the same ship you did just by spending cash. That's why it's not a very thrilling achievement.
The fact that Delsalle landed a helicopter on Everest doesn't lessen Hillary and Norgay's achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebumble View Post
There was nothing wrong with the game pre-Season 6.
I seem to recall the pre-S6 forum discussions differently than you do.
Career Officer
# 44
03-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBumble
There was nothing wrong with the game pre-Season 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I seem to recall the pre-S6 forum discussions differently than you do.
Unfair, you only quoted the first part of my comment..XD

I was there for the pre-season 6 party to. People wanted more content, but also were afraid of adding a grind. We ended up with a half working/half broken version of the first and a whole lot of the second.

People wanted a challenge, not the boring humdrum of any other modern day MMO. Which is, bottom line, what we've got. Grind, grind, grind. Oh look! A new shiney! Grind, grind, grind. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure people log in to play a Star Trek game and have fun, not grind like its a second job and leave feeling mentally numb.

We have this big May update coming that's supposed to rock our world. So big they can't even talk about it yet. Only a hint here and a maybe there. I'm sure there will be new content, and maybe the KDF will finally be able to beam down to The First City without going through the starbase first, but what I can tell you with 100% certainty, is that whatever it is will bring another type of grind. And as you can tell by now, Cryptic takes the long view((This gets the 'I want it now, now, now people spending money.)), so whatever it is, don't expect it to top out with only a single month grind.

Anyone seen STO in the top 10 lately? Nope! Game of The Year two months ago and gone tomorrow. And lets face it, if there weren't people voting multiple times it wouldn't have made it anyways.

Cryptic says forum users only represent 10% of the player base. If I was them I'd be scared. For every one of us posting in here, there's 10 more posting their complaints in The Zone.

So yea, I'm mad at the direction the games going. I'm mad I've sunk alot of money in a game that's turned into a WoW clone.
“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.” - Norman Schwarzkopf

Last edited by thebumble; 03-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Ensign
# 45
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
What STO is:
STO is a fun game (especially for casual gamers) and if someone doesn't care about lockboxes and the C-Store ships (like me) it's a lot game for free.
Of course people who don't mind grinding Dilithium can get everything free in the end.
In my eye a pretty fair F2P game.

What STO can be:
Even though this game has improved a lot in 3 years. I played it at launch (have a new account now as something went wrong with my account moving from Cryptic to PWE) and it's so much better now.
But I doubt it will be much more then what it is now. We will see constant improvement, but Cryptic hasn't enough money to seriously revamp this game.
Still considering how much money Bioware/EA sank to make SW:TOR (which I think is really on the same level as STO), Cryptic did rather well with their limited budged.
Career Officer
# 46
03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evendzhar View Post

If you can't spare five minutes a day to activate your reputation projects, MMO's aren't for you.
Could you explain how you manage to accrue the marks, EC and XP required in 5 minutes?

I mean I still have my Romulan Rep to do, and simply put when I get free time and I think what shall I play DDO and progress my levels and have fun along the way or log onto STO and bore myself to death with Azure Nebula's pittance rewards or some pointless diplomacy mission over and over. You see I can enjoy playing the huge variation of Quests with random people of the same level who guess what actually know what they are doing because there was a real challenge to get to the higher levels in DDO. The point with that is the grind in DDO is fun. I would log onto STO far more if we had story missions designed for end-game teaming which had rewards linked into the current rep systems and currency systems.

To be honest the most heinous thing of all is only being able to by stacks of 20 consumables there's grind and then there's a crap Gui that makes the grind even more annoying x)

Give me a break. Let me avoid the boring crap by paying to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebumble View Post

Anyone seen STO in the top 10 lately? Nope! Game of The Year two months ago and gone tomorrow. And lets face it, if there weren't people voting multiple times it wouldn't have made it anyways.
STO has a notoriously bad reputation amongst gamers, has since it was released,

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/...r-trek-online/

Lol it's gotten better than what it was but it's kind of sad that some of the gripes back in 2010 are still gripes today, though there is no going back on the engine which lets face it when it comes to storytelling/questing is totally and utterly awful.

Quote:
Star Trek Online has received mixed or average reviews, garnering a 65 on Metacritic. GameSpot praised the game's space combat as entertaining, but found the other aspects of the game to be "bland and shallow". An IGN reviewer described the game experience as feeling like "two games" which did not mesh together well, and although visually it was "quite a gorgeous game", found much of the gameplay to be repetitive in nature.
In my opinion nothing much as changed on that front and because of engine limitations it probably never will.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 03-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Ensign
# 47
03-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Actually, I think that the reputation of STO has increased a bit.
It's always on the Most Popular F2P list on Steam and as everyone can see, it's quite filled with players (shortly after launch, meeting others in space was a rare thing).

I think one of the problems STO has and will always have, is that the people simply expected way too much.
Quite a few where hoping for a Star Trek simulation really.
Career Officer
# 48
03-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicelzo View Post
It's always on the Most Popular F2P list on Steam and as everyone can see, it's quite filled with players (shortly after launch, meeting others in space was a rare thing).

I think one of the problems STO has and will always have, is that the people simply expected way too much.
I don't see that, and most MMO's aren't on steam for good reason. I think the issue here is two fold, yes people want this game to be more than Cryptic's engine allows it to be, lets remember that the engine is port from another game it was modified but never designed from the ground up for Star Trek, which is why it has largely failed to deliver.

However whilst the first issue is not likely to be resolvable there are many things in this game that degrade it's quality that can be fixed from gui improvements to better systems balancing and most importantly better testing and QA practices.

This will never be the game most Star Trek fans want it to be many of us maybe waiting for the day when the license isn't renewed and another more creative company with better resources is able to build an engine from the ground up that supports the components required to make a truly Star Trekian experience. However that does not mean this game as it is cannot be fun or enjoyable if just a few things were tweaked and better practices introduced.
Captain
# 49
03-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicelzo View Post

If DDO and LOTRO were on Steam, I'm pretty sure they'll be even more popular.

STO is a good game, but it's a grind for the endgame shiny. You can lvlup a character without any kind of grind, but when you reach 50, it's massive. You may argue it's the same in any other MMO, and it would be true, but not as much. Also, I'm not sure that 6stf for YEARS is enough endgame content.

Also, a lot of shiny are behind a fleet grind wall, that ward many casuals to have access to it. I'm talking about the best kits, the best weapons, and some of the pest carrier pets and awesome ships. Also, several "fluff" item, like costumes and Romulan BOFF.

Did they improve the game since the release ? Yes a lot. When it was released it was not even worth a beta, and it was p2p. I remember playing the last days of beta, to see klingons earning feds commendation, with bridges full of feds.

Could they still improve it ? Yes.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Could you explain how you manage to accrue the marks, EC and XP required in 5 minutes?
All those rescources are tied to the core of the game, and can be collected and stockpiled at your convenience. Getting enough resources for a week takes a few hours. I agree it's a pointless grind, but if you had an option to take away the grind it would still be pointless. MMORPG's are designed to get you to play as long and often as possible, so boring crap that can't be avoided will always be a large portion of the content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
In my opinion nothing much as changed on that front and because of engine limitations it probably never will.
Bland and shallow sounds about right. I also agree that this is largely due to engine limitations. However, the engine is a symptom of a larger problem; Cryptic has always been a small studio that produces MMO's on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
If DDO and LOTRO were on Steam, I'm pretty sure they'll be even more popular.
They are.

Last edited by evendzhar; 03-02-2013 at 11:03 AM.