Commander
# 51
03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
If DDO and LOTRO were on Steam, I'm pretty sure they'll be even more popular.
I can't speak for DDO, but LotRO was on Steam the last time I checked.
Career Officer
# 52
03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
So are a host of other more popular longevious games like EverQuest.

However Steam is a very poor measure of player base.

DDO had over 1 million active players in 2010 it's way more than that now, this game I don't think will ever reach 1 Million active players.

But it's apples and oranges Turbine are far bigger and the engine they have is geared to DDO & LOTRO, it would be nice however to at least see Cryptic attempt to make an End-Game Story Series that was linked ot end game rewards and required balanced team participation and heavy puzzle play as well as a non-linear story line with options and alternative outcomes.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 03-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I get so tired of people turning to the engine as an excuse for STO's production team.

Some few issues like the horrendous UI unresponsiveness are engine-related, but 2.5d combat, sterile/bland/boringly-linear zone design, etc. are nothing of the sort.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Ensign
# 54
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM
@thisisoverlord
Sorry to disagree, but STO reputation did improve. I'm not saying it has a great reputation, just not as bad as it used to be.
Also, I wouldn't discount Steam as a poor measure base. more then 50% of the digital retail market are covered by Steam and that isn't a small number.
So STO being always in the most popular F2P games just shows that there is quite some interest out there for STO, nothing more.
And your claim on DDO is also wrong sorry. DDO had 1 million new players in 2010. There is a big difference between new players and active players.
I know a lot people who tried it out and stopped playing after a few days.
And even though I'm now just speculating I'm pretty sure it's way below a million people playing DDO these days.
And I don't think there will ever be a game for most Star Trek Fans, except if someone succefully managed to build a holodeck.
A Holodeck is the only thing that would please most Star Trek Fans.
I for one hope that there won't be a new Star Trek MMO in years to come.
There is absolutely no progress in the MMO genre (all MMO's play almost the same anyway really). So no matter who would make an Star Trek MMO these days, it wouldn't be that great really. EA & Bioware couldn't make a good Star Wars game with a huge budget either.
Commander
# 55
03-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Other people got the same ship you did just by spending cash. That's why it's not a very thrilling achievement.
That makes no sense whatsoever. My Achievement of bying those ships for Dilithium is not diminished in any way by how other people aquired them.
It may not be an achievement for them but that's their problem and I don't really give a damn.