Lt. Commander
# 31
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
well... i have played the hole beta without sound anyways... it really hurts the feeling and gameplay...
after researching the forums i tried the command line "fix" using windows xp 64 bit ... didn't help... either on older or the newest drivers... no sound at all...

due to msdn-aa i had my hands on windows 7 64 bit professional version.. installed the newest realtek drivers ... no sound without the command line "fix".... tried the command line fix with windows 7 too... but yeah... the game crashes on loading screen everytime... horrible... i guess STO makes me get the first grey hair in my life... i really wanted to buy this game... but this definately .... yeah it suxx... sry for that word!

my rig:

Q6600 @ 3.3 GHZ
6GB DDR2 Corsair Ram
Geforce 8800 GTX
ASUS P5QL Plus Mobo

Really cant get sound to work... (((
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Just wondering if there's any update to any of this. I have a workaround where I have the game audio set to my USB headset, and when I switch it back to speakers it works fine. Before I log out every time I have to switch it back to USB though so I can switch it back for sound for the next time I log in.

So, it's not game-breaking for me, but it is pretty darn annoying. Pretty random that it's this specific card too. None of my friends have the same one.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-23-2010, 06:45 AM
command line fix worked for me

Windows XP 64bit - nForce mobo realtek sound chip on board

it's not just a x64 issue is it ?
Lt. Commander
# 34 Still
01-24-2010, 07:15 AM
This sound issue has'nt been fixed .
I have real tek driver with a chip set audio card but only win 32 bit so i didn't try the ignore command list ..

Any tips out there ?
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
For those of you who are still having trouble with sound, I have come up with another workaround that is a bit less of a hassle (once setup) and does not seem to cause any crashing. This basically redirects the game audio through a virtual cable and then right back into your soundcard or board. Don't ask me why this works as I have no idea.

Here is what I did:

1) Download and install "Virtual Audio Cable" (Just google it; trial version is free) and make sure you have a virtual cable setup.
2) Open STO and under the Audio options change your Output Device to "Virtual Cable 1". Click "OK" and exit STO.
3) Open "Audio Repeater" (this comes with "Virtual Audio Cable"). Under "Wave in" select "Virtual Cable 1" and under "Wave out" select your regular output device (probably "Realtek AC97 Audio"). Now click "Start".

Now, as long as you leave the audio repeater running you should be able to play STO with sound without having to reselect output devices. Just make sure to repeat step 3 the next time you start your computer.

Hope this helps some of you.
Lt. Commander
Thanks for posting the workaround. I had submitted a number of tickets over the No Sound in 64 issue. Fortunately I searched the solution in a couple of threads on this forum. For those wanting a "better" fix, keep in mind that STO is not a 64 bit application. Your Windows XP x64 will default install it as a 32 bit app in you x86 program files directory. Before I found the workaround launch code, i was simply running the game from my dual boot 32 bit environment...using the same x86 Program File directory on a shared NTFS drive. I simply wish Cryptic would have circulated this resolution more prominently. Good luck and good adventures!

Solution :

Load STO Launcher, Click Options (before Engage), enter -ignorex64check in the advanced option field, click Ok and play with sound...
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
trial version is free, and also annoying says trial every 5 seconds ... but hey, my game hasn't crashed in 2 hours from the -64 check
Lt. Commander
# 38 Ah, this explains it
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
First off, one wonders why Cryptic didn't link to their own forum for this problem. All my questions about what's going on went away after reading this:

http://forums.champions-online.com/s...ad.php?t=66853

Same company, same game engine, same flag; I assume it's the same problem.

That said, I've only had one crash since the headstart began, and that was probably a zoneing error.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
This worked for me, too! Thanks so much :]
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Still having issues. I tried using the command line fix, and it worked perfect for a few hours, then the game started relentlessly crashing. After each crash, the launcher would verify every game file, and it got super annoying. So I finally got rid of the command line and just did my old work-around, which is still darned inconvenient. I wish something could be done about this. :-/